• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lurker in Need of Help: Need advice for Viennese Ball Attire

JBM

Reaction score
So I have been lurker on the boards throughout the year. I don't really need suits because of the fact that I'm at the Naval Academy and never have the time.

Anyways I go invited to a Viennese Ball this December. If anybody doesn't know what it is google it. I am going to represent the Academy and its a White tie and tails event.

My problem is that I need to get a suit for the events and dinners leading up to it. I am not allowed to wear my uniform which isn't bad but I need a suit that is classic and formal and will let me stand out to a degree.

I'm looking at possibly getting a 3 piece suit in a dark grey with pin stripes. I would also like to possibly put a contrast-collar on it and a bright color to brighten up the dismal December around here. But I need to for it to be appropriate for at least 2 dinners and 3 cocktail parties.

I'm leaning towards the pin stripes as I am 6'3 and want to have that classic look. I will take all suggestions but I also do not need this suit to last 5 years but I need it too look good for about 4 months so anything affordable off the bay would work.

btw here is a pic for explaination

bild393gf.jpg

Thank you
jared

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, you need a suit - just not a lounge suit (or sack suit in American English). Even informal dinner clothes (aka dinner jacket; or Tuxedo to Americans) are too casual for a Viennese ball. You need to have your tailor make you a dress suit:
Dress_Suits_BlueBook.jpg
Dress suits MUST NOT take pinstripes. They are three piece suits but the waistcoat MUST NOT match the coat and trousers. The coating should be black or midnight blue barathea. Get your tailor to make the waistcoat out of white pique to match the tie. You will need patent leather pumps to go with it. Make sure you wear a detachable stand up collar:
co111.jpg
http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/ http://www.luke-eyres.co.uk/(2cmufyu.../id_category/1 Traditionally military full dress is permitted at balls.

JBM

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Thanks for the replies. As for the military dress we are more than welcome to wear it but we are going to be the people in the dance formation and therefore we have to look all alike. I have the tux taken care of because everybody gets the same style.

What I'm looking for is a formal\\classic suit for the sort of informal dinners leading up to it. We have a bunch of meetings for the ball and therefore I need something that is different than my military uniforms.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Vienna is a grey suit town. Skip the pinstripes. For some reason, old school Viennese men will sometimes wear suits with metal buttons on the jacket to formal social events. Pewter or silver. I don't know why. No contrast collar, that is too gauche for the city. And what's a naval guy doing in Austria? Aren't they landlocked!
smile.gif

koolhistorian

Reaction score
You are in the process of becoming an officer and gentleman! Are you going to dance in dinner jacket, or tails and white tie, which is the norm for a Vienna Opera Ball - see the director of the Vienna opera, he is in full ceremonial white tie, with his decorations and orders in full, not in miniature. For the dinners and parties before, go for the dinner jacket, if you do not want to wear your Navy ceremonial dress (which will be appropriate), you can wear a red cummerbund (as in the Red Sea rig) if you want to stand out. No day wear please. The best solution is to search advice to the Professor of Protocol and Ceremonial Duties with your Naval Academy - for sure you have one at Annapolis - he or she will know better what are the rules for a Naval cadet or ensign. Remember that the Navy is the "protocol" branch of armed services, that is why Presidential AdC will come from the Navy!

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
Vienna is a grey suit town. Skip the pinstripes. For some reason, old school Viennese men will sometimes wear suits with metal buttons on the jacket to formal social events. Pewter or silver. I don't know why. No contrast collar, that is too gauche for the city.
I think it's a combination of old Austro-hungarian pride and small town burgermeister mentality. The Austrians still like their traditional dress and I always though the buttons stem from this sort of thing: http://www.stadt-feldbach.at/aktuell...T%FCr08_gr.jpg http://www.peteykins.com/sparklepics...nik062708a.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Eccentric

Reaction score
I think what the OP is saying is that he already has his tails (not a tux, I hope) in order, and simply needs his first suit, which will not be worn to the ball. This being the case, I will second solid gray, as pinstripes are too "business". Keep it on the conservative side and you will be fine.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBM
Anyways I go invited to a Viennese Ball this December. If anybody doesn't know what it is google it. I am going to represent the Academy and its a White tie and tails event.
Tell me what ball you are attending and I can give you some information. Btw, there's no official ball adressed in December. The ball of the Military Academy is held on 16. January 2009.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
I hope you know your post is in any case inappropriate.
Which part was offensive? In any case I apologise if you took offence. All European countries take pride in their old traditions and many still keep their traditional dress, especially in small towns. Austria is a small country with large rural areas after all. The second largest city after Vienna only has around 250,000 people and most others are so small they feel less like cities and more like large towns with small town customs. Is it really surprising that parts of the traditional dress get incorporated in small ways into city & formal clothing?

JBM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Tell me what ball you are attending and I can give you some information.

Btw, there's no official ball adressed in December.

The ball of the Military Academy is held on 16. January 2009.

A Viennese Christmas Ball
Friday, December 12th, 2008
Seven o'clock Champagne Reception
Eight o'clock Grand March
Music by Con Brio!
Viennese Waltz, Polka, Fox Trot, Tango, Fledermaus Quadrille
Viennese Desserts and a special Christmas performance
Washington Golf and Country Club
3017 North Glebe Road
Arlington, Virginia 22207

It is not the Military Academy ball. This is for all the politicians in DC that wants to go. I do have my Tails already and my white tie. They gave me a clip-on but I laughed b/c I have a white tie traditional one.

Well now my question is that should I go with a 3 piece or without the vest. Also would contrast collar(or french cuff), and with that would a med blue be appropiate?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBM
Well now my question is that should I go with a 3 piece or without the vest. Also would contrast collar(or french cuff), and with that would a med blue be appropiate?

I'm out of the game. I could tell ya bout good old Vienna...

JBM

Reaction score
Ahh true...I have been to a number of cotillions and debutante balls growing up but never been to an "Vienesse(sp)" Ball.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads