• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lunges: Main course or side dish?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are lunges best served up as core exercises (like bench presses, squats, and deadlifts), or should they be treated as assistance exercises (like flyes, crunches, and shrugs)?

On a related topic, when working my upper body I like to work muscle groups in opposition. I'll do military presses on the same day as pullups, for instance, or I'll do cable rows on the same day as bench presses. Can the same thing be done for the lower body? It doesn't seem like there's anything meaninful to pair up with lunges. Or with deadlifts or squats, for that matter.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd consider them a preliminary exercise for eventually moving into being able to do squats. I think they're pretty worthless too, though.

jtoddaz

Reaction score
I, (seriously), strained a groin muscle doing a lunge ini high school. Fell right over, in the middle of the weight room.

Don't think I 've done one since!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Which is worthless, squats or lunges?

Just do the opposite of whatever "Why" says. You'll be fine.

Deluks917

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Just do the opposite of whatever "Why" says. You'll be fine.

Except squats really do work. In the short and long term they cause unmatchable results.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deluks917
Except squats really do work. In the short and long term they cause unmatchable results.
Huh? "Why" said that lunges are worthless. No one ever said anything about squats being worthless.

aleeboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that lunges are worthless. I haven't squatted nor deadlifted for almost three months now. Because of a bested disk, I am stuck with doing exercises such as:

- lunges (and its varieties)
- Step-ups
- Leg extensions
- Leg curls
- Glute ham raises
- King dead lifts
- Single leg squats on bench

You may not be able to do as much weight with, say a step-up, than on the squat, but see if you can hold a conversation properly after holding two 20kg dumbbells doing 10 reps on each leg. Lunges also work you hard, provided you do enough resistance.

FWIW, I did enjoy squats and deadlifts a lot. However, I wouldn't discount the lunge as a secondary exercise. They will give you results, but not big numbers to put in your stats.

PolePosition

Reaction score
At the gym I'm at the only people I see doing lunges are women. Not saying its a womanly exercise but I've always wondered why when women workout legs they do lunges but when men workout legs they get on the squats or leg press.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PolePosition
At the gym I'm at the only people I see doing lunges are women. Not saying its a womanly exercise but I've always wondered why when women workout legs they do lunges but when men workout legs they get on the squats or leg press.
Because men typically want to get bigger and women want to tone. However (despite what Why says), you can gain strength, endurance, and cardio through lunges and other bodyweight excercises. Will you get huge? No. Although gymnasts get pretty ripped / big by not doing weight training, so... Link... Nothing against weights but lunges and such are just as important as freeweights especially if training for sports (MMA, etc...).

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lunges can be both used as a primary or secondary exercise depending on how intense you are already working out on the squats. In fact I view them to be on the same level of importance in the sense that we do as much squat down (to pick things up in our daily lives) as we do "lunging" when we walk or stride forward.

There are many reasons why few people perform lunges and amongst them are space constraints, inability to use heavy weights with good form (for many men), prioritization of exercises etc, .

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'd consider them a preliminary exercise for eventually moving into being able to do squats. I think they're pretty worthless too, though.

Just shut up. Your mediocre body and attrocious form speaks for itself. I dont even need to delve into the drivel you dish out on a regular basis. Just shut up.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan

• Parka