• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lumet's NETWORK

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anybody seen this? Watched it for the first time yesterday and, I must say, a very good movie and VERY timely for our current state of affairs. Though made 30 years ago... very relevant and a good indication of Camus' famous "the more things change, the more they stay the same."

It's also interesting to think how the Bush Administration might have dealt with a network that wanted to make a show about Terrorists, using live footage of the terrorist events themselves (those who have seen the movie know that a part of it deals with some of the 1970's domestic terrorists, ala Symbionese Liberation Army, Weather Underground, etc.)

I expected it to feel very dated, but it still feels very contemporary. Anyway, if you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it if you have nothing else to do or your family is driving you nuts this Holiday Season.

Feel free to yell out your window, "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!"

Connemara

[URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']
Reaction score
I'm about to watch this. Will chime in with a review afterwards.

Connemara

Reaction score
Really a stunning film. Sure, the dialogue was overwrought at times but it is at its core a satire, and thus that is forgivable. It didn't take away from the sensational acting and the prescient nature of the story. You could honestly replace Howard Beale's name with Glenn Beck's or Keith Olbermann's, and it would be a perfect fit.

William Holden gives a PHENOMENAL performance here, in the twilight of his long career. It's worth seeing for that alone. Peter Finch is, of course, brilliant.

Connemara

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
One of my favourite movies ever. Some absolutely brilliant monologues. I think my favourite is Max's near the end.
+1000

Connemara

Reaction score
Oops! Kind of drunk. Changed it.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
I think I'm going to rent this today. Lumet, generally being bad ass.

Smartalox

Reaction score
The Toronto Maple Leafs have taken to playing Peter Finch's "Rise up... I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" to attempt to rally the fams during games. It's a nifty speech in the theatres, but I've always felt that the pacing of the scene is way to slow for sparking the enthusiasm of hockey fans when the team is lagging.

Not that it is very effective anyway: Leafs fans have not had a Cup win since 1967 (before Network was released, even). I know some Leafs fans are mad as hell, but they're still taking it!

Come to think of it, another example of how "the more things change, the more they stay the same" (GO HABS GO!)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 270 32.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.8%
  • 31 - 40