• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lululemon Athletica - Their workout clothes any good?

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
yes, but you can find pieces that will fit. like capris and some of their more baggy longer shorts...

plain.gif
Capris? Really.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they have men's stuff.
plain.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I should have been more specific with my request for info. I know that they're expensive and and its only worth it blah blah blah. What I want to know is if their does a better job at wicking sweat, keeping its shape, holding up through multiple washings, keeping from loosing color, etc. that much better to warrant its premium cost.

The yoga woman swears that they're the only shirts that keep her mildly sweat free through her workouts. Otherwise, she says that she's drenched in sweat.

Beetleything

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I should have been more specific with my request for info. I know that they're expensive and and its only worth it blah blah blah. What I want to know is if their does a better job at wicking sweat, keeping its shape, holding up through multiple washings, keeping from loosing color, etc. that much better to warrant its premium cost.

The yoga woman swears that they're the only shirts that keep her mildly sweat free through her workouts. Otherwise, she says that she's drenched in sweat.

Well they use cotton....i don't think they use any new miracle wicking material...
eh.gif

Becks23

Reaction score
The stuff lures you into a false sense of security, once that ass is out of the pants it's all over the place.

But in reality, you don't go to the gym to be comfortable, wear the oldest, grubbiest stuff you have and save the money.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
plain.gif
Capris? Really.

heh, I remember in college, playing intramural football, and the in thing to do was to take sweatpants and pull them up to the knees.

I don't know what was wrong with us.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rambo;3485904 said:
I should have been more specific with my request for info. I know that they're expensive and and its only worth it blah blah blah. What I want to know is if their does a better job at wicking sweat, keeping its shape, holding up through multiple washings, keeping from loosing color, etc. that much better to warrant its premium cost./QUOTE]

I can't see them being vastly superior to Nike Dri-Fit or the UnderArmor equivalent....

They're all the same **** really.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only used their yoga pants and running shorts but the durability and performance has been quite good. I wash my shorts every time I use them and they have held up quite well. The pants fabric hold up pretty well, my wife is into yoga and the pants last her a good while. I don't go for the tops as I think they are overprice for mens wear but my wife uses the tops and they seem to be good. Women's athletic tops need a bit more engineering and can justify the higher prices for men it seems there are other options.

I'm not saying that they are the best but I like the fit, performance and durability of the shorts I wear.

User

Reaction score
I don't own any Lululemon clothing, but looking at their website, the price seems to be on par if not cheaper than other athletic gears, such as cycling and triathlon...

monkeypunch

Reaction score
I think their men's underwear is a great deal. Low friction, well constructed, and $24/pair. I also have two shirts and two shorts. The shirts are made with an x-static based textile they use called "Silverescent". There's silver permanently bonded to the textile fiber, which is primarily marketed to eliminate bacterial odors but also has the nice benefit of greatly mitigating any static buildup issues. All of these were washed by my gym for a year now and are in remarkable condition considering how poorly my socks have held up to what must be a particularly industrial laundry setup
smile.gif
The shorts are probably the least impressive, but you could do a lot worse in the price-range.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Isn't this brand only for women?

Technically no, but in all actuality yes... All of their men's clothes look rather feminine.

My gf would wear it 24/7 if she could.

laughter95

Reaction score
buy under armor. i swear by their heatgear/cold gear/ compression shorts. i've had the same sets for the past 8 years now and they're still perfect.

Che Danger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I was talking to a yoga/pilates trainer acquaintance of mine today and she was telling me about spending $600 at Lululemon. I proceeded to tell her that she was out of her ******* mind but she countered that the clothes are amazing and they've got a 5 year warranty. Can any of you guys speak to their quality or effectiveness? If they're really that good at absorbing sweat then I'd consider plunking down $50 on a shirt.
I work there, but I'll try to remain objective. Regarding quality: There are a variety of fabrics in different blends of natural and synthetic fibers that are conducive to creating a durable product. I participate in a variety of activities (running, boxing, jiu jitsu, crossfit, cycling, free weights) and have found that, on the pieces I own, I can pull and tug on the clothing and the travel on the 4-way stretch material pretty much allows the fabric to bounce back. Not all pieces have 4-way stretch. I wash all my lululemon stuff together (save for anything with a zipper) to reduce any likelihood of "pilling". I've only been working there for 9 months, but since then I've washed my pieces a number of times and they have retained their shape and no tears or holes as of yet. Regarding effectiveness: The pieces I own do a fantastic job of wicking away sweat. I can go to a spin class and be drenched in sweat, but inside of minutes after I'm done my clothing is dry. I have a couple singlets and sleeveless tops with the silverescent woven in; it may sound gross, but I rarely even wash these as they don't smell. Keep in mind that I'm not really a smelly person, anyway. Products with silverescent isn't going to mask your BO, but the fabric itself should not retain any of the odor-causing bacteria. Regarding styling: Well...I can understand what you're all saying about the brightness of some of the pieces. Personally, I pick up the pieces with earth tones and more basic styling. The fits are meant to closer to the body, although the some of the pants tend to have a bit of flair toward the bottom -probably to accommodate for running shoes- although we have been getting pants with a straight leg lately. New lines and pieces are regularly coming in, but we do have staple pieces that will basically come in different colors throughout the year, though black, navy, and grays seem to be stocked year round. Most of the more "masculine" colors go pretty fast, but we get regular replenishment of them. Regarding value: The construction, fabric and features of a product basically drive the price. It's comfortable, functional, and durable (so far). The question remains: how much time do you spend in your workout clothing? You'll get a lot of wear out of it whether you're a weekend warrior or a 7-day workhorse. If you are in the market for new workout gear, just go in and talk to one of the people working there and they'll explain the line to you. The plus side is they're not encouraged to sell you anything but simply educate you about a products properties and possible uses. My personal favorites: The Essential-V's and Essential-T's...I wear these for casual wear and working out. On a hot day you'll notice the difference between these and a Hane's cotton shirt (which I absolutely wear on a regular basis, by the way). During a workout these are surprisingly effective at wicking away sweat. Also, the Pacific Beach Hoodies are uber cozy with a flattering fit. My favorite shorts are the Down Dawg Shorts which I use for EVERYTHING active, except swimming. BTW, whether you're geared up in lululemon or not, most stores offer free yoga on Sundays, come on in and you'll meet some very pleasant people and get a free workout.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been trying out Lululemon for awhile now.

Make no mistake --- their clothes are expensive and likely overpriced. I purchased two t-shirts, one pair of shorts, and one pair of sweat pants.

However, they do fit very well, and make me look slimmer at the gym. :p Also, even though the material is synthetic, it doesn't feel crappy like UnderArmour, Nike Dryfit, Reebok, etc. They seem to hold up well to machine washes and air dry cycles.

Other than the cost, the only other complaint I have is that the tags on the t-shirts are very long and occasionally annoying when it sticks out. I should probably cut them off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics