Luigi Bianchi Mantova vs. Lubiam vs. L.B.M. 1911

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DJW1, Apr 19, 2016.

1. DJW1

DJW1 New Member

What's the difference between these three lines? Everything I've found either on this forum or elsewhere has conflicting answers (or are very old posts).

Some say that Lubiam is the diffusion line of Luigi Bianchi Mantova, or that Luigi Bianchi Mantova is simply what Lubiam is known as now. I've seen a clothes seller assert that Lubiam sells structured clothes while L.B.M. 1911 specializes in slim-cut, soft-shoulder jackets. I usually see all of these for very reasonable prices on Yoox (looking for a nice cotton suit in a more conservative color)

Anyone have any input for what the difference is, or the quality?

2. jsb0809

jsb0809 Active Member

In my experience, LUIGI BIANCHI MANTOVA is simply LUBIAM, not the diffusion line.

As for L.B.M. 1911, it is not a diffusion line simply but a different collection. 1911 are all unstructured which its iconic style, and more slim cut as you know.

In the quality, I don't think they had any obvious differences. All good quality but not top.

Maybe you can find more information on their official website.

3. SortofFitz

SortofFitz New Member

Reviving an old query: Has anyone definitely answered this (at least to your own satisfaction)? The company itself now appears to be using the Lubiam name as an umbrella encompassing the Luigi Bianchi Mantova mainline and other lines, such as L.B.M. 1911. Additionally, there's a thread on AskAndy suggested that Lubiam suits of varying quality were previously made under license. So, without other information, a "Lubiam" suit would seem to be a dice throw.

4. Marsay

Marsay Senior member

Is life so long as to spend it learning the subtlest of distinctions between different lines of bargain basement Italian RTW?

Clothes are like a rubber prophylatic: to be worn and enjoyed without too much thought given to the results.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  5. Vuchko

Vuchko Member

Oh come on. Does anything that's affordable to people below jet-set levels of wealth deserve to be sneered at?

If you're lucky to find RTW clothes that fit your figure and taste perfectly, it makes a lot of sense to spend some time to learn about the brand/manufacturer and their other products in-depth, and to make sure you're aware of everything they have to offer and what the differences between their various designs and lines are. That way you can achieve better results compared to the much more expensive options of buying more "elite" brands or even custom tailoring.

For me, LBM jackets happen to be such an excellent fit, and they really look better on me than various far more expensive ones I've tried. Consequently, I would actually like to learn more about them, especially because they're not available very widely (at least in my corner of the world), and the internet doesn't offer very much information.

6. Marsay

Marsay Senior member

If you like it, buy it, try it - and send it back if you don't like it anymore. Maybe have a beer at some point in between.

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

Well typed - both posts.