• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luggage

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
It is time for some new luggage. Specifically, I'm looking for something that can take me through three or four days with ease and style, and be carried onboard an airplane; my current black nylon square thing on wheels is in need of a supplement. I have looked at several brands in a few different stores, and I really like the Shorthorn, by Mulholland Brothers. It's an FAA approved size, the construction and quality seems to be excellent, and I've found a dealer who can offer me a good discount. It looks like the comparable bag from Tumi is this expandable carry-on. While not explicitly FAA approved, and though I'm not crazy about its looks, but the various pockets and such makes it seem more versatile. I'm familiar with the products that Tumi make, but I have no experience with Mulholland Brothers. Can anyone offer an opinion or anecdote? Or suggestions of other brands I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know Molhulland, but the bag looks pretty heavy, and not very well designed. I would say that the Tumi that you linked is your best bet, espetially the napa leather version.

briggs and Riley make very good bags, too. comparable to tumi but not as pretty, and not as well known. but tougher than you will ever need.

I use a catalogue bag on wheels, and then a tri-fold garment bag on top. I find that nobody gives me grief with that combination, and it holds what I need for an almost indefinate trip.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mullholland Brothers (used to be "Holland" until H&H put their foot down) makes great looking stuff, but I'm of the opinion that their quality doesn't quite justify the cost . . . at retail anyways.

While I use a few "character" (read no wheels) pieces from a variety of companies, I find that my Samsonite black cordura telescoping handle pieces are my "goto" bags for extended trips and heavy flying. They are well made, and about half the price of Tumi for similar shells (with a more restrained design). My one caveat on Samsonite is that on their lower and mid-priced lines, they tend to leave little things unfinished on the inside, like the occasional burr or uncovered screw which can cause a bit of damage. Look at the interior, and make sure there are no rough edges where you'll be stowing something delicate.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been using Tumi or LV luggage to good success. I have a Pegase 20 carryon that is great, and I use it from time to time, and a Tumi with internal garment bag that I use when I need a garment bag and don't want to carry both.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a set by Pathfinder a couple of years ago. It's not Tumi, Samsonite, or LV but it is supposed be "one of the most durable" brands out there. I think its a pretty good buy.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
briggs and Riley make very good bags, too. comparable to tumi but not as pretty, and not as well known. but tougher than you will ever need.
I second the vote on Briggs and riley. Great bags, durable, practical, some expandable, and they guarantee any and all damage to the bag even if caused by the airline. You also wont pay through the nose as you will for a tumi. http://briggs-riley.com JJF

scraper

Reaction score
I also have to give props to Briggs and Riley. Their product is like iron, and I believe it comes with a lifetime guarantee. Quality.

Duveen

Reaction score
A third (fourth) Briggs and Riley 'recommendation. I just got off a three-month cycle where I was traveling 4-5 days/week and am very happy that I bought Briggs and Riley luggage. It has showed no signs of wear and had no problems.

I had to really talk myself out of Hartmann (interesting that it is not mentioned here - is the quality not up to snuff?). What sold me on the Briggs was its extra-long telescoping handle. I am 6'3" tall and the handle on its "long" setting was perfect for me. With most luggage I end up either telescoping my elbow or bending a little bit, with this thing I just up and went. That little detail was worth its weight in gold given the number of rolling miles that I put on the luggage.

TimelessRider

Reaction score
I just ordered (sight-unseen) a French Luggage roll-along from Sterling & Burke (http://www.classicluggage.com). I chose the Herringbone collection. Should arrive in a couple of days. They carry a few other brands as well, and if you call them, ask for Susan Jeffery who is probably one of the most helpful people I've ever dealt with. Anyone ever use Atlas products? You can see a sample here: http://www.bagit.com/atlasofboston/atlasofboston.html. The pictures seem stunning but the prices on that site are well out of my range.

Settecento

Reaction score
I've been very happy with several matching bags by Lonchamp, in a darkish green color (easy to distinguish from all of the black bags on the conveyor belts). I have the largest suitcase, the carry-on size, and one of their expandable kits that looks like a large tie-carrier but actually rolls out to become another carry-on bag. They hold up well, having been to Russia, Australia, Rome, and London in the past year. And they seem to be less expensive and more durable than the leather models by Mulholland, etc.

petescolari

Reaction score
I have to praise my Patagonia luggage. Â Everytime I travel I realize what a well made product it is. Â I have two pieces by them. Â A garment bag, the Burrito Suitor(?) which isn't made anymore. Â The other is the MLC (maximum legal carryon) which fits perfectly in the overhead and can hold enough clothes and shoes for 3-7 days. Both are made from Ballistic nylon. Â Toughest material around. Â If you have ever bought Patagonia products you know they are probably the best customer service based company around. Â I lost a hook for the garment bag about a year ago. Â I called them up and asked for a new one. Â The model was discontinued but i thought it was a shot in the dark. Â About a week later I received it in the mail. Â Also, one internal zipper broke in an inside pocket. Â Just a small repair at most. When I brought it into the store in Boston, they looked at it, said they had it in stock. Â Would I like the same thing? Â Walked out two minutes later with a brand new bag. Â I would have been happy them repairing the bag for free. Â Here's the bag on the website: Patagonia luggage

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered (sight-unseen) a French Luggage roll-along from Sterling & Burke (http://www.classicluggage.com).  I chose the  Herringbone collection.  Should arrive in a couple of days.  They carry a few other brands as well, and if you call them, ask for Susan Jeffery who is probably one of the most helpful people I've ever dealt with. Anyone ever use Atlas products?  You can see a sample here: http://www.bagit.com/atlasofboston/atlasofboston.html.  The pictures seem stunning but the prices on that site are well out of my range.
I have the Atlas "Lincoln" garment bag in belting leather. It is large enough to see you through a week-long business trip. Overall, it is quite nicely put together and has held up very well over the years. My only complaint was that mine came with a rather narrow handle, which tended to cut into my hand. I had it replaced by a round, thick perfectly matched belting leather handle at my local luggage/shoe repair store for $40. I have an Atlas briefcase (briefbag, actually) that I've used and abused for more than a decade (bought it in 1990, I think.) It will likely last me the rest of my life. I prefer leather luggage when I travel. I think it looks better, and mine seems to have held up well under quite a lot of use.

mano

Reaction score
Travelpro Platinum series luggage is top notch. Looks like all the others on the luggage carrousel, but well made and thoughful engineering. It costs a bit more, but I've used it for years and everyone I recommend it to thanks me. Great prices on the web and on eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics