Luggage

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DouggiePhresh, Mar 22, 2008.

1. DouggiePhresh

DouggiePhresh Well-Known Member

Im looking for designer luggage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Jil Sander, Bottega Veneta or Valextra for no logos.

Louis Vuitton and Goyard for logos.

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Globetrotter, T.Anthony, Rimowa, and Zero Halliburton for some "retro" looks.

4. navysuede

navysuede Senior member

Brics....Italian
    Tusting......English
    Hartmann
    Tumi has some new forward styles at fair prices
    Good luck

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Valentino did a great series of luggage for his winter show a year or so back (the "Valentino Airlines" show ((see the pic in my avatar))) and I think he's started producing them each season. They're ludicrously overpriced, but the monogram looks great.

But, overall, if you want designer with a logo and are willing to pay for it, I second SoCal's mention of Goyard. It's not exactly subtle, but still not as garish or showy as the LV monogram. And, it's actually very well made.

Hermes makes gorgeous luggage, too, but you could buy a decent used car for how much a suitcase will cost you. As for other designers, I'd avoid Prada for luggage, though. I have some of their duffles and I like them well enough, but I wouldn't want wheeled luggage. Same with Gucci, same with Christian Dior. When I graduated from college and got my first decent-paying job, I thought I'd be the coolest guy ever because I had designer luggage (one was Borbonese, the other was Dior). I kept smiling about it until I took my first big trip and it got the shit kicked out of it at the airport and ended up looking like I found them in a Salvation Army garbage bin. The Borbonese, in a beautiful shade of coffee brown initially, ended up with big whitish smears on it and nearly had the rolled-leather handles ripped off. As such, if you are on ANY kind of a budget or will traveling commercially (as opposed to privately or always with a valet), keep in mind that luggage that you will be checking will get similar treatment by airlines employees.

Therefore, I'd get a very GOOD, strong suitcase maker, not necessarily a designer who also happens to have a luggage license with somebody and who is more interested in a certain style/luxe aesthetic than in making a suitcase that will actually travel well. Some of these better brands would be Hartmann (mentioned above), Briggs&Riley, or Tumi. They are $500 suitcases that are really $500 suitcases; not $500 suitcases with $2200 of added branding. EDIT: RJman beat me to the mention of Hermes (I was typing just as you were posting!)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  6. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Hermes custom.

7. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

EDIT: RJman beat me to the mention of Hermes (I was typing just as you were posting!)

My dream would be to commission hard-sided carbon fibre luggage from Hermes -- extremely light and extremely durable. Of course, for as long as one flies commercial, there is no point in expensive (check-in) luggage (as opposed to purely functional luggage).

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Here is my Halliburton after some use. As one can see, it's quite scuffed and generally worn, and also dented in some places: [​IMG]

9. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Cheap. solid hard-shell plastic (Samsonite basic line, whatever it's called) for checked luggage. Anything else; there are few areas where vintage luggage won't serve you better for less. [​IMG]

10. Matt

Matt ex-m@Triate

Here is my Halliburton after some use. As one can see, it's quite scuffed and generally worn, and also dented in some places: [​IMG]
    well yeah, but does it have wheels?

11. Matt

Matt ex-m@Triate

Cheap. solid hard-shell plastic (Samsonite basic line, whatever it's called) for checked luggage. Anything else; there are few areas where vintage luggage won't serve you better for less. [​IMG]
    hmm I think there is a sweaty dude in district 11 who is going to be seeing a printout of this later today with a request to replicate. Very nice.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

well yeah, but does it have wheels?

It does have wheels--it's from the Zeroller line.

13. Matt

Matt ex-m@Triate

spoil my smartasseditude whydontcha?

I have been looking at a similar era Halliburton on ebay, and very few have wheels and that is kind of a dealbreaker for me (unless I buy a separate cart thing).

My annual France trip is coming up, and I am trying to picture myself lugging it the half-mile from my hotel to the train station when it is all loaded up with my biggest annual shopping splurge.

Can't be done....

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

15. Matt

Matt ex-m@Triate

ohh ok youve beaten the hell out of it on your annual China run by the look of it then man. BTW searching for vintage Halliburtons made me feel damn old when i found a link to a one (from their women's line - whatever that means)... It's vintage....from way back in nineteen ninety seven.