• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luggage

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for new luggage. I'm looking for something durable and reasonably priced. Any suggestions?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a whole set from Samsonite. It seems like the pieces will last forever, and they're conservatively designed, so they won't go out of style for some time. I got it for a BIG discount at Century 21. Whatever you do, don't pay full price for luggage; it's too readily available at a discount.

VWpete

Reaction score
I have a full set of sampsonite as well. Their model is the carbon ??. They are great and have held up well for the last three years. I got my at a heavy discount when a local dept. store held a sale (bring in x amount of used clothing for Goodwill, get 30% off purchase). Mike... Century 21 was too chaotic for me a few weeks ago. Jeez is that place nuts.
Pete

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ballistic nylon from samsonite, it can take a beating quite well

but don't go overboard with expensive luggage, buy durable luggage that will hold up well (the luggage handlers are airports literally toss the stuff around like footballs)

however, i'm finding that after a year and a quarter after having bought new samsonite, it's really starting to wear after approximately 8 overseas flights, with roughly one connection per flight so if you count your luggage is handled 3 times per leg (load onto plane, remove and load onto new plane, remove and throw onto luggage pickup rack and then repeat going home) that's 6 times per trip and a total of 48 times my luggage was thrown around - it really does look like it's been through a war zone already, very worn out on the tubing on all the edges, marked up and scratched to hell, some of the zipper tags broken right off (the zipper is still intack, just the little piece you hold on to unzip the zipper is gone)

i must say, that it has yet to be pierced and thus the ballistic nylon is holding up on that front, but to look at it, you'd think i've had it kicking around for 10 years

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of a company called Pathfinder? Their pieces are slightly less expensive than Samsonite and are supposed to be more durable. I have heard that alot of advertising inflates Samsonite prices.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike... Century 21 was too chaotic for me a few weeks ago. Jeez is that place nuts.
Can't handle it? hah. That's half the fun of the place, and when you find those few items for pennies, it pays off. The one in Long Island is MUCH tamer; that's where I got the luggage.

VWpete

Reaction score
Hehe, On a nice relaxing day I can hang-- I went after two interviews and two trips from Soho to Midtown... plus I thought I'd walk from 60 thompson, down broadway all the way there and it started to rain. I was just tired. I'm sure I'll hit it up this summer and enjoy digging around.
Pete

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in NYC about a month ago for an interview, and I walked from 80th street down past Canal along Broadway on the morning of the snowstorm. Then, I walked all the way back (bought myself a hat and gloves along the way though) through the upper east side and then through Central Park. The funny thing is that after so many years of living in the L.A. area, where it's not unusual to drive 10 miles just to pick up dinner, and where the supermarkets are the size of St. Peter's Basilica, Manhattan seems so cozy. Hope to live there soon.

bryce330

Reaction score
I've been upgrading my luggage collection recently as well - Samsonite is a great value, particularly when you can get it at big discounts. The TJ Maxx stores in my areas seem to have a lot of Samsonite at great prices (such as $89.99 for a 30" rolling suitcase); ebags.com is another good option, although a lot of the other online luggage retailers seem a little sketchy. In general, I would recommend going for function over fashion - any luggage from Prada or LV or even Tumi will be a theft magnet. I am planning to buy a Prada duffle bag, but only for use as a carry-on. I should also share this somewhat amusing article on what your luggage says about you: http://www.cyprus-mail.com/September/13/column1.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads