• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lucky Number 10.... Which boots? Calf or cordovan?

Jack_P

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm reasonably new to style forum and because of folks such as yourself I've managed to turn a terrible shoe collection into one which I am proud of.
I'm looking to make my tenth significant purchase and I want it to be a special one so here's a bit of information that has influenced me so far.

I'm very much set on a pair of boots. Unless the weather is hot (which is unlikely as I'm in Britain)
I tend to wear derby boots as they fit my style and they're what I feel the most comfortable in.
My favourite pair of all the shoes that I own is the Crockett and jones Coniston.

Ideally I'm looking for something thats an oxford or derby boot that can be worn with most things but dressed up in the colder months. It doesn't need to be ideal for rain conditions but I want something that won't spoil should I be caught out on a wet day.
I'm also intersted in giving cordovan a try but it would be my first pair. Are they better or worse at dealing with rain than calf?

With all that considered so far I'm leaning towards the Crockett and Jones Harlech. It's a derby boot that looks very much like the Coniston, only on a slightly more elegant last and made from cordovan instead of calf. It's a also at the very top of my price point so it's possibly the best that I can afford. I've included a picture of the Harlech too.

Any opinions regarding purchase options, reviews and cordovan vs calf would be much appreciated.
I hope to get reply, Jack.

Harlech.jpg

notdos

Reaction score
I’m not a cordovan fan for several reasons, not the least of which is maintenance, compared to calf. While there may be differing opinions, for me, calf is easier to keep looking good.

emptym

Reaction score
I have a pair of Alfred Sargent derby boots in shell that I like a lot. I'd get shell for derby, calf for Oxford.

Pics here:
Shipped on Mon, arrived today:

Last edited:

Jack_P

Reaction score
I’m not a cordovan fan for several reasons, not the least of which is maintenance, compared to calf. While there may be differing opinions, for me, calf is easier to keep looking good.
I have a pair of Alfred Sargent derby boots in shell that I like a lot. I'd get shell for derby, calf for Oxford.

Pics here:
Thank you for your opinions. In the end I decided that if I had chosen calf I just know I’d be left feeling what if? So I’ve gone with the cordovan option which I also feel is a more suitable last.

The best part however is that I’ve managed to purchase a brand new Harlech boot for just £35 more than my preferred calf option! A very very lucky find as it was the only pair available and in my preferred size and colour.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads