• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luciano Barbera Tie: Fake or Not?

Motol12

Reaction score
Is this a legitimate Luciano Barbera tie: http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-LUCIANO-BAR...item5641c1d073

The seller doesn't have any negative feedback other than a guy contesting shipping and somebody mad about an extra-long description of a tie which ended up just being regular-length. However, he doesn't show any labels and the lining which says Luciano Barbera seems fake to me. Can anyone weigh in on this with an opinion?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the tie, get it. Buying it merely for the brand name is, well, not worth it.

Personally, I'd get it if I liked the tie enough that LB or not, I would wear it. If you don't feel so, don't get it.

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
If you like the tie, get it. Buying it merely for the brand name is, well, not worth it.

Personally, I'd get it if I liked the tie enough that LB or not, I would wear it. If you don't feel so, don't get it.

If it was a choice between it being an LB and being a decent, noname brand tie, I'd get it. However, fakes are usually also ultra-low quality pieces of **** that unravel within a few wearings. I like the pattern as another conservative striped tie to add to my rotation, but I want to be a decent tie that lasts a while.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dude is in Brooklyn, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but at least it's not someplace like China. 99% of the counterfeit items I've seen on eBay are being sold out of foreign countries, and especially countries with thriving counterfeit markets and loose IP law enforcement.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

I think he is also relying on the brand name to speak as to its construction and quality of fabric - at least I would, since those things matter to me. But I guess since they matter, I wouldn't be buying a tie on eBay that I worry about being fake...

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I think he is also relying on the brand name to speak as to its construction and quality of fabric - at least I would, since those things matter to me. But I guess since they matter, I wouldn't be buying a tie on eBay that I worry about being fake...

Indeed.

Originally Posted by Motol12
If it was a choice between it being an LB and being a decent, noname brand tie, I'd get it. However, fakes are usually also ultra-low quality pieces of **** that unravel within a few wearings. I like the pattern as another conservative striped tie to add to my rotation, but I want to be a decent tie that lasts a while.

^^^ What teddieriley said.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I've never seen a counterfeit Barbera anything. It's not that well-known of a name to begin with, so it's not worth conterfeiting. Also, I've never had good luck selling mainline Barbera stuff. Always seems like I've gotta come close to giving the stuff away. Even on eBay....
All this, plus it seems that the tie has Luciano Barbera-branded tipping. Seems like a big waste of a theoretical LB counterfeiter's money to go that far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads