• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Luciano Barbera Tie: Fake or Not?

Motol12

Reaction score
Is this a legitimate Luciano Barbera tie: http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-LUCIANO-BAR...item5641c1d073

The seller doesn't have any negative feedback other than a guy contesting shipping and somebody mad about an extra-long description of a tie which ended up just being regular-length. However, he doesn't show any labels and the lining which says Luciano Barbera seems fake to me. Can anyone weigh in on this with an opinion?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the tie, get it. Buying it merely for the brand name is, well, not worth it.

Personally, I'd get it if I liked the tie enough that LB or not, I would wear it. If you don't feel so, don't get it.

Motol12

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
If you like the tie, get it. Buying it merely for the brand name is, well, not worth it.

Personally, I'd get it if I liked the tie enough that LB or not, I would wear it. If you don't feel so, don't get it.

If it was a choice between it being an LB and being a decent, noname brand tie, I'd get it. However, fakes are usually also ultra-low quality pieces of shit that unravel within a few wearings. I like the pattern as another conservative striped tie to add to my rotation, but I want to be a decent tie that lasts a while.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Dude is in Brooklyn, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but at least it's not someplace like China. 99% of the counterfeit items I've seen on eBay are being sold out of foreign countries, and especially countries with thriving counterfeit markets and loose IP law enforcement.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin

I think he is also relying on the brand name to speak as to its construction and quality of fabric - at least I would, since those things matter to me. But I guess since they matter, I wouldn't be buying a tie on eBay that I worry about being fake...

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a counterfeit Barbera anything. It's not that well-known of a name to begin with, so it's not worth conterfeiting. Also, I've never had good luck selling mainline Barbera stuff. Always seems like I've gotta come close to giving the stuff away. Even on eBay....

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I think he is also relying on the brand name to speak as to its construction and quality of fabric - at least I would, since those things matter to me. But I guess since they matter, I wouldn't be buying a tie on eBay that I worry about being fake...

Indeed.

Originally Posted by Motol12
If it was a choice between it being an LB and being a decent, noname brand tie, I'd get it. However, fakes are usually also ultra-low quality pieces of shit that unravel within a few wearings. I like the pattern as another conservative striped tie to add to my rotation, but I want to be a decent tie that lasts a while.

^^^ What teddieriley said.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I've never seen a counterfeit Barbera anything. It's not that well-known of a name to begin with, so it's not worth conterfeiting. Also, I've never had good luck selling mainline Barbera stuff. Always seems like I've gotta come close to giving the stuff away. Even on eBay....
All this, plus it seems that the tie has Luciano Barbera-branded tipping. Seems like a big waste of a theoretical LB counterfeiter's money to go that far.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 45 15.5%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 91 31.3%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 54 18.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 22 7.6%