• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lower to Mid Level Shoe Advice

Jimifacs

Reaction score
I am looking for advice on a black lace-up type shoe in the 175-225 dollar range. I am beginning to interview for employment as I will soon be graduating from college. I inherited 1 navy and 1 gray 2 button, flat front, Hickey Freeman suits. Luckily the giver is a very similar size to me so I was able to get an appropriate fit with minimal alteration. However, I now need a shoe that is appropriate to go with them. I like the moc-toe type of shoe but am open to any suggestion. For a little more background, I am approximately 6'3", 205 lbs and wear a size 14 shoe. The size definitely makes it difficult for me to find bargains. In addition, I need 1 pair quickly to buy me time to search for higher end bargains down the road. I appreciate everyone's help!

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a pair of AE Park Avenues on sale. I think they go for about 200-250 on sale. It's a basic suit shoe that you can wear indefinitely.

I'd obviously recommend an Alden but they aren't easy to find at that price range in that size.

FreedBird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Get a pair of AE Park Avenues on sale. I think they go for about 200-250 on sale. It's a basic suit shoe that you can wear indefinitely.

I'd obviously recommend an Alden but they aren't easy to find at that price range in that size.

The Park Avenue is a great choice, but also look at the Soho from AE. It is very similar, but with a more elongated toe box and a cap that goes back slightly more the the PA.

Jimifacs

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I definitely liked the Soho but Bennies right up the street had the Park Avenue on sale for $250.00. It is definitely a great looking shoe.

versusqc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Here you go for starters.
\t\t Johnston & Murphy Melton Cap-Toe Black 14 M NEW !! Reg $225 Retail
Regular retail is $175.00
I wounder what the real retail price is
eh.gif
I would def. go with the Park Avenue, or mostly any AE, seriously the best shoes you can find at this price.
worship.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Here you go for starters.

corrected grain. the bad kind. yes, it's cheap. and yes, i think it's welted. but that corrected grain will develop really ugly creases rather quickly, unless your foot fits it perfectly (unlikely). You're better off with AE's from ebay.

Looks nice, and its a better buy than the J&M above, I think.

Originally Posted by versusqc
I wounder what the real retail price is
eh.gif

For the J&M - their site says $165.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all know that this man will have to actually visit a store that carries AE & try on several pairs, espacially with the PA to get the size right.

He didn't say what his width was but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us has had/have sizing issues with the #5 last.

So J&M is the best choice (for what's available online right now) in a pinch for ~$100, he'll get his money's worth. Give him the whole story, yall.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimifacs
I need 1 pair quickly to buy me time to search for higher end bargains down the road.

See my suggestion. Also, what width is your foot? I'm guessing B or C?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search e-bay, post what you find on here.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get one of the clearance shoes on Brooks Brothers. I think they have a plain brown Sargent-made captoe for $199

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP could also contact the Allen-Edmonds outlets about the Niles, quite similar to the Park Avenue. It is on closeout and so should be well within his budget.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
If the sizing varies as much according to the last with A-E as it does with Alden I don't see how anyone could expect a good fit without first trying on the particular last.

Btw, I have some J&M shoes from 10-15 years ago that I am still happy with but I think at least their Aristocrat line was still made in the U.S. back then.

Cheers, Jim.

Jimifacs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jimifacs
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I definitely liked the Soho but Bennies right up the street had the Park Avenue on sale for $250.00. It is definitely a great looking shoe.

Again, thank you to everyone for the advice. I definitely was not clear with my post above. I bit the bullet and went ahead bought the Park Avenue for $250.00 at Bennie's Shoes. Suprisingly enough the regular old 14D fit perfectly. I decided it was worth spending the little extra now in lieu of throwing $100.00 less at a shoe that I did not like as much just to turn around and buy the Park Avenue a couple of months down the road.

You all might enjoy this little tidbit. I went to a Nordstrom closer to my house to try on the PA and the salesman told me that it had been discontinued. I politely disagreed and he essentially insinusated that I am a moron. However, I highly doubt that AE would discontinue what seems to me to be/have been their most popular model.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads