• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lower back rounding when squatting to parallel

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I noticed this tonight and I'm not sure what the hell the cause it. My upper back is flat as a board and so is my lower back until I get to parallel. At that point it rounds and it seems like ****** dips down underneath. I doubt its flexibility as I do yoga and have hypermoble joints. I can't seem to keep it from happening. Anyone get this or know how I can fix it (assuming its fixable and not just my particular anatomy)?

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new, but here's what this dude says:

http://stronglifts.com/why-your-lowe...how-to-fix-it/

I think my lower back rounds if I:

1) Don't keep my chest up.
2) Go too far below parallel (hamstrings can only go so far).
3) Use too wide a stance.

#3 is giving me some trouble right now. I feel I have narrowed my stance as weight has gone up and I'm not sure this is appropriate. I felt I was pushing up on the outside of my feet, not the heels today. At some point, I really need to find a knowledgeable trainer I can buy for a week ;/

You've reminded me I have wanted to implement more of the link's stretches.

I think this sub-forum could use a couple solid stickies. I often have short Q's to ask and hesitate to make a new thread.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard rippetoe fix is to use a wider stance, point your feet/knees out more, and push your knees out at the bottom.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a flexibility issue. Stretch out the semimembranosus and semitendinosus -- these two hamstrings muscles take the brunt of the load at parallel and beyond.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought that always happened. Guess I learned something today!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
It's a flexibility issue. Stretch out the semimembranosus and semitendinosus -- these two hamstrings muscles take the brunt of the load at parallel and beyond.

That would be my guess too. It only makes sense that the lower you go the harder it is to keep your back straight.

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
Standard rippetoe fix is to use a wider stance, point your feet/knees out more, and push your knees out at the bottom.

+1

Also, see if you can carry the bar a hair lower on your back. Not good morning level, but lower than Olympic-style squat level. T = r x F

bigchris1313

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran

+1

Also, see if you can carry the bar a hair lower on your back. Not good morning level, but lower than Olympic-style squat level. T = r x F

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup- tight hamstrings most likely. I've got that problem due to a nerve issue and that fact that my hammies are a bit unnaturally short for my leg length. The Rippetoe approach does help- but it's also good to check you ego at the door on this one as far as the amount of weight used.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm willing to concede that it could be hamstring tightness but I doubt it given the flexibility that I have (can touch head to knees during hamstring stretches, do yoga, etc.). How wide of a stance do you rippetoe guys use?

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
How wide of a stance do you rippetoe guys use?

I think there are quite a few individuals on this site with quite a wide stance.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I'm willing to concede that it could be hamstring tightness but I doubt it given the flexibility that I have (can touch head to knees during hamstring stretches...

That's not very dependent on the involved muscles during the squat.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
That's not very dependent on the involved muscles during the squat.

Interesting. Can you provide 2-3 stretches which assist squatting below parallel or does the Stronglift link take care of it?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Interesting. Can you provide 2-3 stretches which assist squatting below parallel or does the Stronglift link take care of it?

Stretches with a bent knee. A fully extended leg will stretch the biceps femoris and the knee joint, but the hamstrings need to be stretched at the hip joint so stretching with a bent knee will stretch them out more around the hip. It will stretch the tendons as well. Just bend the knee and pull it back toward the body. I usually put a leg on the arm of a couch or a chair or something, keep my back straight, and get my shoulder as far past my knees as possible.

turbozed

Reaction score
Watch the Squat RX vids on youtube. He shows you some good stretches to increase flexibility for the squat.

Tail tuck is a flexibility issue and is pretty common for inflexible people trying to hit anything near parallel for the first time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads