• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low-waist pants and (un)tucked shirts

nordicstyle

Reaction score
What are people's opinion on wearing shirts tucked or untucked when wearing pants (typically jeans) with a low waist? I have tried tucking my shirts, but I think it looks kind of silly. Most (all) my jeans are loose fit with a low waist, because that's what I feel are the most comfortable.

Because of my current body physique (I have a beer belly), I don't feel comfortable wearing pants with "natural" waist, so I have to stick with the low waist for now. The question is, should i tuck in the shirt or not? This is for "business casual", meaning that the shirt is buttoned up to the neck (the upper-most button is not closed, I don't wear a tie) and the cuffs are also closed/buttoned.

Also, I'm wondering, what are your thoughts on wearing a t-shirt under a shirt? I notice that when wearing a white shirt the (black) t-shirt is visible. I could solve this by getting a white t-shirt, but somehow I feel that a old-school undershirt would be more suitable for this? Note that I'm not wearing any jacket and don't plan to for the near future. I am also not a fan of the "sweater with a shirt under" look, so it's either t-shirt and shirt, undershirt and shirt or freeze.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
You offer us many variables.

This will require some study...please bear with us.

- B

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear loose fitting jeans I dont think tucking in your shirt would look good. Loose jeans looks sloppy to me. Keep the shirt untucked and stay with your sloppy look. Tucking it in would only seem as though you are trying to be neat but failing.

fusherino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
If you wear loose fitting jeans I dont think tucking in your shirt would look good. Loose jeans looks sloppy to me. Keep the shirt untucked and stay with your sloppy look. Tucking it in would only seem as though you are trying to be neat but failing.

i think the choice also depends on the shirt as much as anything. shirts with longer hems just have to be tucked. if its about where your crotch is or a little higher you can prolly get away with leaving it untucked.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm back.

I've studied this more closely, and I want to just try out a one word concept: The Mirdle.

Click the photograph for more information.

- B

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel

That's what I was thinking too. I'm quite comfortable with wearing untucked shirts for the "relaxed" look when going out clubbing, but then I also have the cuffs unbuttoned and the two upper-most buttons undone. I close the cuffs and the second button since I don't want to look like I'm partying at the office.

Originally Posted by fusherino
i think the choice also depends on the shirt as much as anything. shirts with longer hems just have to be tucked. if its about where your crotch is or a little higher you can prolly get away with leaving it untucked.

The shirts ends just below my belt. The front and back parts are also only slightly longer than the sides, so there's not a big front and back "flap" hanging around.

I guess I still have kind of "sloppy" look, but until I loose another 20 pounds it's not even possible for me to find "natural" waist jeans that fit me well. Since I work out I'm guessing my thights are wider than average, because to fit in a pair "classic style" jeans, I have to size up 2-4 inches in the waist, which is rather silly. Relaxed fit, low waist jeans are the only type I can wear for the time being. I never understood how someone with a 40" waist can have such small thighs...

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'm back.

I've studied this more closely, and I want to just try out a one word concept: The Mirdle.

Click the photograph for more information.

- B

Hehe. He may have reduced his gut, but he's still pitching a tent, which looks rather, eh, suspicious...

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle
Hehe. He may have reduced his gut, but he's still pitching a tent, which looks rather, eh, suspicious...

Sure is..."do you have a banana in your pocket? or some other kind of fruit?" haha

I will add that his posture in both pictures is pretty poor...I think posture can make a huge difference in appearance.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nordicstyle

Good point.

Given your constraints and work culture:

1. Leave your shirts untucked but try to get ones with shorter tails, specifically ones cut to be untucked.

2. Switch to white undershirts.

You can also ask over in the SW&D forum, where you will get wider range of style suggestions for a such basic casual dressing framework.

You're a good sport.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sigh. This is why you shouldn't wear your jeans so low.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Sigh. This is why you shouldn't wear your jeans so low.

Beer belly is in the way. Can't you read?

Muffin top with asymmetrical bias.

- B

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No, I skipped the substance of the OP's post and immediately passed judgment.

Muffin top with asymmetrical bias.

Are you calling me muffin-shaped?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
No, I skipped the substance of the OP's post and immediately passed judgment.

You are showing advanced tendencies.

Are you calling me muffin-shaped?

No. I was just summarizing the substance of the OP's post.

- B

nordicstyle

Reaction score

Ironically, the problem is that my beer belly is too small. If I had a larger gut I could size up in normal pants. From what I've read on various fitness forums, this is actually a quite common problem for guys who tall and heavy built (i.e. people who work out with squats and deadlifts and/or bicycling, etc.), because our thighs are large compared to "normal" people with the same waist size.

I have 25" thighs and 36" waist, so I'm wondering what's the thighs of a "normal" person with 36" waist would be. My goal is a 34" waist, but I doubt my legs will be thinner then. As I said, I would wear pants with "normal" waist, if I could find a pair that fit me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads