• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low VO2max

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I've haven't trained regularly in some time and want to start getting back into shape. Had a quick physical before joining a gym and they said that my oxygen intake is really low. I'm a smoker and I know that is a huge part of the problem. Basically stopped the cigarettes, just the occasional one plus weekly cigar and pipe smokes.

Is there any training I should start with to increase my oxygen intake before doing anything else?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ All of the above will get the V02max up, but I would say there is nothing you can do initially other than build a base of aerobic capacity with extended work at an elevated heart rate. Building a good foundation with simple 30 min runs will make the Tabata's etc that much more bearable and won't dissuade you.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

SUPER K

Reaction score
I would imagine some cardio and no smoking would make an improvement. With someone already training, it may be difficult to make a major change. I was told by a pro triathlete that knowing your VO2 max: " is kinda like telling a 30 year old woman she's ugly. She's been happy all this time not knowing, and there's nothing she can do about it "

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
What was your relative/absolute Vo2Max? Can you remember? There's a point where it's dangerously low for exercise and then past that it isn't a huge deal as long as you keep improving your cardio.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I don't have the information to hand, but I do know that it fell in their lowest classification bracket.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SUPER K
I would imagine some cardio and no smoking would make an improvement. With someone already training, it may be difficult to make a major change. I was told by a pro triathlete that knowing your VO2 max: " is kinda like telling a 30 year old woman she's ugly. She's been happy all this time not knowing, and there's nothing she can do about it "

^^ thats the worst mindset I have ever heard. I also respectfully disagree.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super K was talking a pro triathlete, not regular guys.

VO2Max responds very well to interval training. So well that it's possible to reach one's genetic limits within a few years of training. This is great for regular guys, but for endurance athletes, this just means that if they haven't performed extraordinarily well after their first couple of years they have little chance of going pro.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess. It seemed to me like he was talking about regular guys, but a pro tri had told him this. Regular guys, even training hard, can get their V02 max up and improved very quick if they haven't been previously training for it.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, they gave you a VO2Max test? As in, a treadmill test to exhaustion, wearing a max to measure your oxygen input? That seems excessive and, to me, bizarre. Also, so what? VO2Max has a weak correlation to performance in endurance sports; even for athletes, it's not a very useful number. What are you worried about?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
^^^ All of the above will get the V02max up, but I would say there is nothing you can do initially other than build a base of aerobic capacity with extended work at an elevated heart rate. Building a good foundation with simple 30 min runs will make the Tabata's etc that much more bearable and won't dissuade you.

I respectfully disagree, with proper interval training you can get results much quicker than old school boring cardio.

Yes, it's hard to get into proper hardcore interval stuff first sometimes, but the progress is much quicker if you stick with it.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, you get quicker results with interval training. However, it is really hard and the gains start to level off after a few months. At that point, if you want to continue improving your aerobic fitness you need to be doing "old school boring cardio." Also, in my opinion it is safer and better to start by get used to doing low intensity exercise, before attempting high intensity stuff.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I respectfully disagree, with proper interval training you can get results much quicker than old school boring cardio.

Yes, it's hard to get into proper hardcore interval stuff first sometimes, but the progress is much quicker if you stick with it.

While I'm not disagreeing with you, results will be much quicker if you can get into intervals immediately. But I still would not consider it safe to jump into if someone hasn't worked out in a while. If I thought about doing a full tabata or anything that made me get broke-off with sprints or quick movements when I was out of shape I know I could push myself mentally to a place my body couldn't handle. I would injure myself.

The other reason I say its not the best idea is because the **** is hard work, and like you said if you stick with it the results are great. But I don't see a normal guy trying to get into shape being able to stick with these type of workouts.

Maybe after a week or so building a base, an abridged HIIT workout would be good. But I would still make the progression somewhat slow.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Maybe after a week or so building a base, an abridged HIIT workout would be good. But I would still make the progression somewhat slow.

A week or so? One week? One week of base is, frankly, no base at all. Your body takes 3 weeks to begin to physiologically respond to training. Aerobic adaptations are particularly slow. You need to spend months building a base, not days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads