• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low-carb Vegetarian Diet?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Body Consciousness,

So I've started working out and taking it seriously; something I feel really good about and I think it's time to start getting my diet in line with the physical component. I'm a strict vegetarian (no seafood) but I do eat milk and eggs e.t.c. still I am sure I eat way too many carbohydrates.

Can you help me plan a rigorous, workout friendly low-carb diet that is vegetarian?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
peanut-butter, half and half, lots of fibrous veggies, mozzarella,

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am vegetarian as well, even stricter than you as I don't eat eggs.

If you want to do a low-carb, high protein diet and still maintain any kind of caloric level, you need to fall in love with 2 products: cottage cheese and textured vegetable protein, in addition of course to protein shakes.

Nonfat cottage cheese has very little carbs and lots of protein. Moreover, it is pretty filling. I eat a cup of it for dinner with veggies and it is a pretty good dinner and fills me up till the morning without hunger pangs at night.

TVP is a great product made of soy. It takes about 30 seconds to cook and has a lot of protein as well, although it has more carbs than cottage cheese. It can take the place of rice in your daytime meals. On my low carb days, I pretty much avoid rice and eat TVP during the day and cottage cheese at night. I have no trouble keeping under 50g of carbs on low carb days.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Haha TVP has been a staple of my date for years, mostly due to it's price. It's nice to hear that it has some health merit. I don't know that I'll ever be able to stomach cottage cheese though....
confused.gif

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a trick to down cottage cheese.... stir fry some veggies, throw in some Indian curry or some such seasoning with a lot of flavor, mix with the cottage cheese and then try it. It will go down pretty easy.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have to use a trick to be able to eat something, its just not worth making it a staple in your diet.

turbozed

Reaction score
Admire the dedication it takes to even attempt a low-carb high protein diet. Without the devouring of dead animals, I have no idea how I would get even close to the amount of protein I currently consume.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
If you have to use a trick to be able to eat something, its just not worth making it a staple in your diet.

Don't be ridiculous. So you would just eat raw meat without the trick of cooking it? Adding some flavoring to make something more tasty is not a "trick."

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Admire the dedication it takes to even attempt a low-carb high protein diet. Without the devouring of dead animals, I have no idea how I would get even close to the amount of protein I currently consume.

Yes, even Lyle Mcdonald was skeptical I could do a low-carb diet on his UD2.0 program without eating dead animals, as he said as well!! However, I am living proof that it can be done. I have dropped from 160lbs to 130lbs in about 15 months and my bodyfat from about 16% to 8.8%, all by watching my diet (pure vegetarian) and working out. It takes discipline, perhaps more so because the range of choices to eat is smaller, but it can definitely be done.

Fat-Elvis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Yes, even Lyle Mcdonald was skeptical I could do a low-carb diet on his UD2.0 program without eating dead animals, as he said as well!! However, I am living proof that it can be done. I have dropped from 160lbs to 130lbs in about 15 months and my bodyfat from about 16% to 8.8%, all by watching my diet (pure vegetarian) and working out. It takes discipline, perhaps more so because the range of choices to eat is smaller, but it can definitely be done.

How short are you? 130lbs sounds extremely light no matter how low your bodyfat is.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I've been vegetarian for 15 years. Still have Morningstar Farms and Quorn as a staple of my diet. I just exercise more. Most of my friends are vegetarian or vegan and quite fit.

Crow

Reaction score
i have been vegetarian all my life. i think i am morningstar's best customer. their food is pretty healthy, lots of protein, and it tastes really good. i get their chicken strips and add it to pasta, stir fry veggies, subs, etc and it adds texture and flavor.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
I have dropped from 160lbs to 130lbs in about 15 months and my bodyfat from about 16% to 8.8%, all by watching my diet (pure vegetarian) and working out.

I did that myself 4 years ago... in 4 months. I'm not a vegeterian though, so definitely had it easier. Good for you.

Easiest way to make cottage cheese yummy (or perhaps quasi-palatable, depending on person) is to mix it with peanut/almond/cashew butter or flavored yoghurt.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this whole thread has reinforced my love of meat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads