• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low calorie snacks

no_pseudonym

Reaction score
I tend to snack a lot during the day, because I always seem to be hungry. I don't have a weight problem (yet) but I have started to develop a bit of a gut. I'm not ready to give up snacking cold turkey, but I'm looking for suggestions for low-calorie snacks.

I usually just snack on fruit if I'm in the mood for something sweet, but it's the high-calorie savoury and salty snacks that I can't stay away from e.g. chips, fries, mini pizzas, etc. Any suggestions for something low in fats and carbs, but possibly high in protein that would make a good snack?

Reaction score
I'm a fan of granola/granola bars for snacks - it's low calorie and filling imo.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Raw almonds (even roasted and lightly salted are fine), low carb energy bars (EAS, Atkins, some Ballance Bars and Protien Plus), sunflower seeds in the shell are the best imo because they keep you busy and are high protien/low carb.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try beef jerky. A serving is quite low in calories but has a lot of protein and is rather satisfying because of the chewiness (takes a while to eat) and the saltiness. I used to reach for the chips when I wanted a snack but now go with jerky instead.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Try beef jerky. A serving is quite low in calories but has a lot of protein and is rather satisfying because of the chewiness (takes a while to eat) and the saltiness. I used to reach for the chips when I wanted a snack but now go with jerky instead.

That's a good point. Since sometimes your body misinterprets dehydration for hunger, anytime I want to grab a snack I drink a glass of water beforehand. Sometimes just getting the necessary H2O is enough to satiate the impulse.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ice is the ultimate low calorie snack.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a lot of these things like granola or almonds you really have to watch your serving sizes, it's easy to eat too much and really up the caloric intake.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the new Atkins Caramel bars, though I never eat more than one in a day since they've got a bit too much fat for my liking. However, very high in protine and fiber, without a lot of suggar. If you have a fridge, I love some cold smoked salmon on wheat crackers. In fact that's my default post-workout snack now. Oh, and fat free yogurt is good, too.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of those more organic wheat thins and dried fruit, yum.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
A lot of those more organic wheat thins and dried fruit, yum.

Dried fruit is usually calorically dense and loaded with sugar, so it might not always been the best option.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
Dried fruit is usually calorically dense and loaded with sugar, so it might not always been the best option.

+1. They also contain added fat (and not necessarily the good kind) from vegetable oil used in manufacturing.

no_pseudonym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Salmon jerky. Walnuts.

Where can I get salmon jerky from? Sounds interesting, but I don't think I've every seen in an any of the grocery stores I've been to. Is something usually kept in health food stores?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads