• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Low buttoning points

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
I'll jump straight in with this. A lot of the two button RTW jackets out there button quite high. With the top button done up it is often a good 2 or even 2 1/2 inches above the natural waist. I don't mind this at all and it's not a criticism of it, but I wondered if anyone has noticed any trend changes in the lowering of buttoning points, somewhat like how wider lapels have resurfaced after the period of ever-narrowing lapels a la Mad Men?

The reason I ask is that I have two suits which, although made some time ago, are rather fine pieces, and which I'd like to wear. One is a marl grey wool flannel and the other a light brown small houndstooth check.The cut is moderate and classic: lapels not too narrow or wide, regular leg width on the trousers etc. The only sign that they are not entirely contemporary is the buttoning point which is roughly at the natural waist. It might be that I've become too accustomed to the contemporary two-button look and it does seem to be affecting my judgement.

I'm sorry that I don't don't have any photos because I'm away from home for a while.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll jump straight in with this. A lot of the two button RTW jackets out there button quite high. With the top button done up it is often a good 2 or even 2 1/2 inches above the natural waist. I don't mind this at all and it's not a criticism of it, but I wondered if anyone has noticed any trend changes in the lowering of buttoning points, somewhat like how wider lapels have resurfaced after the period of ever-narrowing lapels a la Mad Men?
The reason I ask is that I have two suits which, although made some time ago, are rather fine pieces, and which I'd like to wear. One is a marl grey wool flannel and the other a light brown small houndstooth check.The cut is moderate and classic: lapels not too narrow or wide, regular leg width on the trousers etc. The only sign that they are not entirely contemporary is the buttoning point which is roughly at the natural waist. It might be that I've become too accustomed to the contemporary two-button look and it does seem to be affecting my judgement.
I'm sorry that I don't don't have any photos because I'm away from home for a while.

You can wear whatever you want, but without pictures, I don't know what you're expecting from this.

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score

You can wear whatever you want, but without pictures, I don't know what you're expecting from this.

Perhaps I'm expecting a little more than a quoted post to fill a reply!

It's a bit disingenuous to say 'you can wear what you want'. If I was wearing a four button jacket with no vents and the sleeves rolled up it would be my choice, but people might have a few opinions on its stylistic merits, or lack thereof!

The question is: are low buttoning points, which disappeared somewhat after the 1980s, anywhere on the style map?

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
Utterly pathetic response rate. Now everyone can go back to comparing pictures of shiny shoes...

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:facepalm: The forum doesn't exist to answer your questions. If you would run a search, you'd see people here prefer lower button stances.

Last edited:

Agatha Crusty

Reaction score
How ludicrous. So what does such a forum exist for? Or is that just my questions?

Considering your avatar methinks it was the shiny shoe gibe that probably upset you most.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Utterly pathetic response rate. Now everyone can go back to comparing pictures of shiny shoes...

Can't imagine why this hasn't generated more discussion in the 1 day and 2 hours you had it up before complaining since it is a very interesting question.

How high is the gorge? That's what will make it seem dated more than the buttoning point.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because it's a strange question?

How many companies these days are really making high button point two button jackets? I wonder if the OP is confusing the low rise pants and how they make the button point look higher then it is?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buttoning point and gorge should be where they flatter you most. It's not a matter of fashion, though high buttoning points have been all the rage for the few past years... they rarely look good on anyone, though. Specially mixed with low rise trousers...

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The buttoning point and gorge should be where they flatter you most. It's not a matter of fashion, though high buttoning points have been all the rage for the few past years... they rarely look good on anyone, though. Specially mixed with low rise trousers...

+10000000

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm expecting a little more than a quoted post to fill a reply!
It's a bit disingenuous to say 'you can wear what you want'. If I was wearing a four button jacket with no vents and the sleeves rolled up it would be my choice, but people might have a few opinions on its stylistic merits, or lack thereof!
The question is: are low buttoning points, which disappeared somewhat after the 1980s, anywhere on the style map?
...and I expect pictures when someone throws around words like "lower" and "higher." Again, you can wear whatever you want, but no pics = limited advice.

Hmmmm. I wonder why.

+1 more reply!

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wondered if anyone has noticed any trend changes in the lowering of buttoning points, somewhat like how wider lapels have resurfaced after the period of ever-narrowing lapels a la Mad Men?

Tom Ford who is one of the major designers pushing for the wider lapels also has a relatively low buttoning point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads