• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

low bar squats

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
Nice revisionist history. What actually happened, if you scroll up, is you showed up outta no where and decided to make a snarky comment about a simple post not directed at you at all. Instead of letting it lie, you made a handful of ****** followup posts.

What portion of what I wrote is inaccurate?

bobdobalina

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobdobalina
Hmm. narrow grip and obsess about the elbows. Got it. Will report back on Wednesday if I remember.

Nope. Not enough. I must be terribly inflexible. Either that or I just suck at everything. Will try the dislocations for starters, I guess.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Don't get worked up over it. Body Consciousness is only tangentially a fitness-related forum. It's primary purpose is as a battleground for ego inflation.

I'm not worked up over it. I didn't even bother to chime in on the mental issue, which had me questioning whether 'psychological' was the right word for the task. Squats definitely require *concentration* and concentration is fatiguing.

I do, however, think this lawyerguy is interesting.

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
What portion of what I wrote is inaccurate?

The part I quoted, an excerpt from your attempt to play victim, two big paragraphs of smoke and mirrors.

And on topic, today, I think I have learned why it is said to keep wrists straight. I think I hyper extended my right one. I'm def p.o'd about it.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
The part I quoted, an excerpt from your attempt to play victim, two big paragraphs of smoke and mirrors. .
Except it's not. The part you quoted accurately characterized what had gone before -- not to "play victim" (project much?), since the notion that anyone might be a "victim" in a random online discussion is pretty ridiculous -- but to give a factual explanation for why I had not used the term "internet tough guy", which someone suggested might have been more appropriate. And apparently you missed the irony of commenting on a post not directed to you in order to complain that I had commented on a post not directed to me. Sorry to hear about your wrist.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a bunch of guys who are psychologically toughened by teh squatz0rs, you all seem pretty thin-skinned.
nest.gif
nest.gif
nest.gif

--Andre (off to do some low-bar squats now)

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Except it's not. The part you quoted accurately characterized what had gone before [sic]

The part I quoted doesn't accurately characterize what had "gone before". It leaves out all the ****** one liners that started the discussion.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Stop the posturing. Squats aren't that hard and I definitely would not call them 'psychologically demanding'. Endurance sports require a lot more mental focus.

I've done a half-ironman with Team in Training (Leukemia/Lymphoma Society). It was not that hard if you followed the training plan. There were overweight women in my training group that finished with no problem. It was definitely boring though. After it was all said and done I weighed 149 lbs at 5' 11" and had the build of an anorexic woman. Looking at myself in the mirror was the hard part.

I'm now doing Starting Strength. I would say that squats are harder than endurance training. I imagine they're not as hard as enduring the perils of war or even laying concrete, but I still find them unpleasant. But I still do them because they work.

And lastly...you obviously know everything there is to know. So why do you waste your time on internet forums? Why not just keep to yourself and revel in your supreme knowledge? Or perhaps write a book with all of life's answers contained inside?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
You have never done 20 rep squats. I would bet the farm on it.
tl;dr: squats are hard no they're not yes they are It's weights on a bar. Heavy weights. Pressing on your shoulders. Getting you out of breath just by looking at all that weight in the mirror. Every inch you go down, you have to push back up. The end of the set is so far off. Very psychological.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
The part I quoted doesn't accurately characterize what had "gone before". It leaves out all the ****** one liners that started the discussion.

Which were not relevant to that particular post, because I was responding to a particular suggestion/question about my choice of words.

Kudos, though, on what I assume is the subtle intentional irony in responding to posts not directed to you in order to complain about my commenting on posts not directed to me.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And lastly...you obviously know everything there is to know. So why do you waste your time on internet forums? Why not just keep to yourself and revel in your supreme knowledge? Or perhaps write a book with all of life's answers contained inside?
He just likes to toy with us lesser beings obviously.

sttng025.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by william
You're here whining about an issue as if the basic tenets of your existence have been insulted and all that's happened is a discussion about whether or not an exercise is 'psychologically challenging'. I don't know everything there is to know. But I do like to share the knowledge I have or think I have. If you don't want to listen then don't. I'm not forcing anyone to listen, and I post on SF because there's a fount of information that I'm not readily exposed to or haven't understood completely. At those times, I inquire or don't post at all. That's the basic nature of discourse. In absence of someone's physical presence during a discussion, people might make the assumption that the person is dismissive of the opinions of others. It's a fault of the medium that isn't always correctable. So please, if you'd like to not listen to what I have to say, put me on ignore. I don't feel as if I'm disruptive and it seems neither do you. You just seem hurt because some anonymous, haughty jerk on the Internet doesn't think you're a special flower. It's nothing personal -- I just don't see squats as a psychological challenge.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which were not relevant to that particular post, because I was responding to a particular suggestion/question about my choice of words.

Kudos, though, on what I assume is the subtle intentional irony in responding to posts not directed to you in order to complain about my commenting on posts not directed to me.

Again, nice revisionist history. I'm not making the comment you are suggesting.

You posted worthless **** and got called on it. Now you wanna have a long ass discussion about it? ******* weaksauce. Stop posting.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
you showed up outta no where and decided to make a snarky comment about a simple post not directed at you at all..

And apparently you missed the irony of commenting on a post not directed to you in order to complain that I had commented on a post not directed to me.

I'm not making the comment you are suggesting.

You posted worthless **** and got called on it. Now you wanna have a long ass discussion about it? ******* weaksauce. Stop posting.

See, Viktri? I would suggest that this ^ is more the sort of situation where the term "internet tough guy" is appropriately used.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been both a distance runner and a lifter. I find both psychology challenging in different ways. The endurance challenge is about fighting boredom as well as fatigue, while in lifting, it is more about fighting past assumed failure. That said, as psychological challenges go, these are not particularly note worthy.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doing heavy squats, or better yet, doing heavy, high-rep squats f@#ing hurts and requires a certain mental toughness. It's the reason so few people squat. The excuse so many use, "I have bad knees" is wuss talk for I can't take the pain.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads