• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis vuitton suits

marc37

Reaction score
Never had any experience with L.V.
How good are their suits?
Do they have a casual line?

Maybe Mr Harris might want to weigh in here [with his vast experience with RTW suits].

P.S: l don't want any shoe talk here, only clothing talk [with a focus on suits].

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand, you mentioned that you wear bespoke Lobb's, but are willing to pair them with Gucci and LV suits? May I suggest Attolini, Borelli, Kiton, Oxxford, instead? They will pair much better with handmade shoes.

Jon.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pair *only* Lobb PARIS, not Lobb London shoes with an LV suit. It just wouldn't make any sense in pairing the London's with an LV suit or their casual wear for that matter.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand, you mentioned that you wear bespoke Lobb's, but are willing to pair them with Gucci and LV suits? May I suggest Attolini, Borelli, Kiton, Oxxford, instead? They will pair much better with handmade shoes. Jon.
I believe he was planning on placing an order from a last made in Oz (by a local bootmaker&#33
wink.gif
. Haven't heard any updates on it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only Louis Vuitton suits I have seen were rather poorly made, so I thought that they may have been fake. I've never seen any others to compare them to, so the jury remains out...

marc37

Reaction score
As you would presumably know, the shoemaking process involves four primary steps: measuring/lastmaking, clicking/closing, making, and finishing. Â The west-end London bespoke shoemakers do the lastmaking, clicking, and finishing in-house, but outsource the balance; the outworkers I've visited have been closing and making shoes for Lobb, Cleverley, Fosters/Maxwell, and Amesbury. Â Given that you are having the lastmaking done for you in Australia, and also that the clicking and finishing are relative child's play, you will essentially be paying a huge premium for the Lobb sock-liner, relative to what the others might charge. I know there is a big attraction to the Lobb name, and it's your money, but still....
Originally posted by jcusey
Originally posted by T4phage The last making process is also one of the largest costs in bespoke.
T4Phage is absolutely right about this. Marc, do a search of the forum and read the posts that shoefan has written about bespoke shoemaking in the UK. All of the big-name firms, including Lobb, contract out the closing and making to independent piece-workers. The only things that they do in-house is lastmaking, pattern-making, and clicking. The latter two take a good deal of skill to do well, but lastmaking is where the bespoke firms really distinguish themselves from one another and earn their money. If Lobb's not going to make your last, I don't know why you would be interested.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------ lt would not be worth sending a last over to Lobb because of the reasons shoefan and jcusey stated. l don't want an $8,000 (Aust) shoe that is 75% made by outworkers (last making+closing +making). l may have to wait until l make the move to the U.K. As for Kiton, Oxxford etc: common guys. l have never even seen Oxxford etc. We can't get any of that stuff in Australia (we are lucky to even get Gucci). l wouldn't even know my sizings; even if l did, the suits may not even look good on me. l am not paying thousands for an expensive suit that doesn't fit. That would make me angry. l make a policy of trying on suits before buying. (l have seen beautiful cloths that fit me however they look terrible on me). Good suits are almost impossible to get in Oz because the demand is just not there. lt is even hard to get Versace and Gucci in my size as it is. l am tempted to try Mr Harris's idea of buying on Ebay if it doesn't fit, resell it on Ebay. Not a bad idea actually but very stressful and time consuming. (l [still] don't really like the idea of buying on Ebay because l find it hard to trust people, plus, l wouldn't know a genuine Oxxford from a fake: that's the problem&#33
wink.gif

marc37

Reaction score
l will say though, l am planning a trip to Sydney sometime this year to buy a pair of RTW Edward Green. l am also going to check out some John Cutler be-spoke suits. The suits are very expensive (up to $10,000) but may be worth the expense (John is reputed to be the best in Aust). Maybe be-spoke is a possibility. l am starting to hate fused suits.
biggrin.gif
Handmade is really starting to turn me on.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dear dear marc37,
Good suits are almost impossible to get in Oz because the demand is just not there. lt is even hard to get Versace and Gucci in my size as it is. l am tempted to try Mr Harris's idea of buying on Ebay if it doesn't fit, resell it on Ebay. Not a bad idea actually but very stressful and time consuming.
Have you already forgotten what you wrote at Andy's site?
....l then tried on some brioni suits and studied them, not that l intended to buy one: quite frankly l was not that excited by the Brioni suits. l popped over the road to Borelli: boy what a store. l was trying on shoes, suits and talking to the managing director for over two hours (he was a great guy)..... l tried on quite a few suits too. l am convinced that top line Borelli suits ($6,200) are better than Brioni ($5,500), they look better and have more hand stitching. They even have hand stitching on the back of the suit and along the back of the arms. They are the best suits l have ever seen: when l lose 20 pounds l will buy one for sure....
marc_au's "discussion" at AskAndy's I daresay that both Brioni and Borrelli are "good suits" and are far superior to LV. So.... is it "hard" then to get good suits in Oz
wink.gif
. Have you really tried? Oh, as for the Lobbs, what about the poster at Andy's who told you that a Lobb representative goes to Hermes in Oz once a year to take measurements and orders? Have you followed that up?
wink.gif
Finally, how are you going to the UK when you say that you can't ride a plane, or go on long trips on a car, or in a boat?
wink.gif

marc37

Reaction score
l have checked with Hermes'. They do not have a Lobb rep come to Australia once a year, this is false. No market for it. l will check again. Which Hermes' (in Ox) said that??? Borrelli is a definite when l stablize my weight. Boat travell is the only option. l'll just have to put up with spewing my guts up for 8 weeks. Plane travel is medically dangerous. Looking at rocks even makes me spew my guts up. lt may sound comical but it's true. l have a very delicate constitution; why do you think l have the diet l do.
cry.gif

marc37

Reaction score
l really thought L.V clothing would be better made. They look like beautiful designed suits. The L.V suits look fused in some of the pictures l have seen.

Are all L.V clothing items (shirts etc) of very average quality?

Would L.V compare more to Armani?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LV would certainly compare more to Armani than Borrelli, Kiton, Oxxford.

Just b/c a large majority of the board doesn't care for Armani, LV, does not mean you should not be interested in the clothing. You're dressing for you after all. If I found a great deal on an Armani or LV piece and I loved it I would absolutely buy it. Only if it was an amazing deal though, as the quality is absolutely not what the others mentioned above are. But quality ain't everything- I'm sure we've all spent a good amount of clothing we know isn't high in quality but fit good and looked good, which is just as important.

Zubberah

Reaction score
As for Kiton, Oxxford etc: common guys. l have never even seen Oxxford etc. We can't get any of that stuff in Australia (we are lucky to even get Gucci). l wouldn't even know my sizings; even if l did, the suits may not even look good on me. l am not paying thousands for an expensive suit that doesn't fit. That would make me angry. l make a policy of trying on suits before buying. (l have seen beautiful cloths that fit me however they look terrible on me). Good suits are almost impossible to get in Oz because the demand is just not there. lt is even hard to get Versace and Gucci in my size as it is. l am tempted to try Mr Harris's idea of buying on Ebay if it doesn't fit, resell it on Ebay. Not a bad idea actually but very stressful and time consuming. (l [still] don't really like the idea of buying on Ebay because l find it hard to trust people, plus, l wouldn't know a genuine Oxxford from a fake: that's the problem&#33
wink.gif
Are you serious? At last count there were 6 Gucci and six Gianni Versace stores in Australia when I last looked. There are two of each alone in Sydney, and Melbourne. They have a huge array of suits and - with Versace - what they dont have you can order from a catalogue. The Versace boutique on Castlereagh Street is very spartan but you should see the catalogues. Everything is in there. There are twp LV stores in Sydney - go and check out the suits yourself - they were in the windows of one shopfront only last week. Melbourne I believe also has at least one store. PS - for what its worth, eBay is IT. Brand new Versace suits for US$250-$350 in current season Donatella designs. I have never paid more than $400 for a Versace suit when they are US$1800-2200 in the boutiques. There's a great seller in Switzerland with superfast shipping who sells alot of them. Gucci is usually a more expensive but you'll pay say A$1000 vs. $3000+ in  the shop. But I'm lucky, I'm a normal size 50/40 so its easy for me. Brioni is available from at least 4 stores in Sydney, and Kiton from one. Brioni is currently 50% of selected items at Vince Maloney and 40% of at Harrolds (also in Melbourne, + 40% of Stefanobi, Artioli shoes - I am looking at the catalogue right now). Oxxford is not available you are correct. I am flummoxed that you do not know your sizings either. You are VERY pecular shoo-man (if I can call you that). Â
wink.gif

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS - for what its worth, eBay is IT. Brand new Versace suits for US$250-$350 in current season Donatella designs.
sorry, there is no way, absolutely no way this is correct.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baby Chickpea,05 Aug. 2004, 11:24
PS - for what its worth, eBay is IT. Brand new Versace suits for US$250-$350 in current season Donatella designs.
sorry, there is no way, absolutely no way this is correct.
I've seen some for about $800+ before. There are some for about 600+ but those are last season Couture items. The $400 ones are usually the Versace Classic stuff.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Sorry guys, but you are incorrect. I myself over the years have bought current season Gianni Versace Couture suits (including 100% silk ones) within this price range.

One such seller is the wonderful tzu45tzu.  I can vouch they all come BRAND NEW with original tags (style and model numbers match labels in breast pocket) and superfast delivery.

Check feedback for many many examples.

There are literally many more if you check his feedback, plus other sellers. Gianni versace Couture suits are amongst my favourite and I have been watching eBay for these suits since 1999 and I can tell you this is very correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics