1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Louis vuitton shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GatorStyle, Feb 1, 2003.

1. GatorStyle

GatorStyle Senior member

Can anyone comment on the quality/durability of Louis Vuitton shoes/footwear?  I'm a big fan of a pair of black lace-ups (squared-off toe, signature -albeit unobtrusive - Vuitton "checkerboard" trim around the edges) that I've been eyeing in a few boutiques.   But at $450 for kicks that surely aren't going to be up to, say, John Lobb-esque standards, I'm hoping that I'll be paying for more than just a name.  

Also, does anyone know if the company offers a reconditioning/repair type program?  I'd be afraid about going elsewhere when the time comes, so as not to mess up the aforementioned "checkerboard" edges.  

Thanks for your input.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member

Stefano Bi shoes in Ferrara are the manufactures of the Louis Vuitton shoe range. The company is LVMH owned and makes all the shoes for the group (Berluti and, I believe, lady shoes as well). They also produce a collection under their own name, although that range might be in for the chop. (It's a set-up similar to Sergio Rossi who makes all the shoes within the Gucci group.)

Stefano Bi produces a fine shoe, but they are not warhorses to take all the punishment thrown at them. That checkerboard welt will make them always vulnerable. (You can't just slap a heavy coating of shoe cream over nicks and scratches.) Due to the construction, most Italian shoes are not easily repaired. If you want a hard wearing, easily repaired shoe look at Alden or Allen-Edmonds. If you have already plenty of shoes, you like the style and you want a fancy pair: Get them.