1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Louis Vuitton Shoes Aren't Gemmed (Video), So Why Are Edward Greens?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rebel222, Feb 3, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Or maybe something like this....
    [​IMG]
    ...thousands of busy hands, all making hand made things...could be for LV, Gucci, Prada, Versace,...any lux brand.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Publicity stunt or not, people will continue to flock to LV regardless. I remembered paying more attention to LV when they started focusing on their timepieces. 7-8 years back perhaps even longer, while brands like Gucci, Ralph Lauren (Ralph Lauren only in recent years started catering their own line of automatic watches; more recently, Hermes decided to follow suit as well) were busy catering designer quartz watches, LV already had their watchmaking factories in place catering for high end automatic timepieces. Namely LV277 with Zenith movements, made-to-order $700K tourbillion, etc, almost sneaking themselves in the world of Haute Hologerie without making them look like they are in for a slice of a cake.

In the world of watch-making, many existing brands rely on history (Patek, Vacheron Constantine, Audemars Piguet - the big three to name a few) to market themselves with many of their '1st' achievements. Who would have known LV would cater a gold/platinum-encased tourbillion - a feat that shows LV is serious enough as well as capable enough to be able to deliver to high-end clientèle. (Chanel J12 Tourbillion then follow suit). Think about it:- made-to-order LV watches, now, that is another level altogether (Kari Voutilainen's fans would frown upon this). Russians are all over it. Purists would argue forcefully against LV being part of haute hologerie and with good reasons. But nowadays, who cares. A platinum cased tourbillion Louis Vuitton timepiece on a wrist would even make a WIS part his/her lips in awe.

In case you haven't heard, LV, now, are also marketing made-to-measure/order shoes. Obviously, the world is more educated now. The younger generation are getting richer quicker than they can spend it, and they know what they want. So LV caters to them and clearly, moving with today's times. They are expensive, they are luxury goods. The costs to make them are 1/4 or 1/5 or less with exorbitant profit margins. People still buy them regardless.

The Gucci artisans tour, including Hermes, etc acts as a form of education and marketing. Majority of people would think buying LV, Gucci, Hermes are merely buying for their brand names, which they are. Supplementing with knowledge of their origin triggers emotions, perhaps a new-found appreciation of handicraft, making an impression that the bag or wallet they have purchased are more than just a brand name - and in fact, the products have been put together by an artisan. Of course not all of the products are, but it certainly feels good to know the amount of work channelled into a product, and one would feel 'justified' in making the purchase. People who can't afford at the time would be emotionally challenged to save up and make the purchase one day. These marketing strategies are not one-hit-wonder, they are specifically done with long term vision in mind. Establishing impression on future buyers.

Luxury is about selling an imaginary lifestyle. Everyone wants a piece of it. Temporarily fulfilling short-term hunger before the vicious cycle begins again. It never ends.

3. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

yes yes.
    LV might outsource Delos or a man to make a pair of hand welt shoe,
    but how many man pay $5,000 for shoe?
    People see video link and think all LV are hand made so it lift brand image to make it look luxury brand

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

"Hey look....I'm wearing expensive hand made Louis Vuitton shoes and a Patek Philippe watch and you're not," It's about one's status and brand whoring.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Please don't talk about Styleforum members like that............it's quite rude.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Good post and interesting points. I'm fascinated by the luxury market, from a sociological perspective as much as a consumer!

7. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

Talking about watch making I don't understand why people always say big 3 are Patek, Vacheron Constantine, Audemars Piguet.

Patek are the best, no doubt of that, as well as Constantine. But even A lange sohne, glashutte original or Breguet are better than Audemars Piguet.

AP are full of ugly design. Geez.

8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

You sound mad. Why don't you stop judging? Well, I personally think every Alden shoe is ugly, but every one is circle jerking.

LV shoes look good. I appreciate all the guys who appreciate superior construction yet, most likely, use iphones. Boring. Pls stand in a tight circle.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

9. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

For whatever its worth I am sure everyone realizes that 2 different pairs of shoes are being made in the video. We are seeing more of the cemented shoe than the hand welted one. In fact we almost never see the completed hand welted one. The cemented shoe which many here say is ugly (I don't fully agree) is definitely of completely low grade assembly and material. There is absolutely nothing "better than" other designers here what so ever. The insole is a man made fiber board and the out sole does not even continue under the heel - hallmarks of the lowest of the low. This is on par with Aldo. However take all this and throw in a few images of hand cut uppers and hand welting and Voila now the consumer thinks this is one and the same and all LV shoes are hand made. Actuallu even the hand welted shoes has an outsole stitched by machine!.

I routinely drop in my local LV and everything is almost universally of modest assembly. This is not true luxury but more imaginery luxury.

10. stormin10

stormin10 Senior member

Everyone on here for some reason likes to shit on brands like Louis Vuitton and more or less every other non-niche label. I honestly don't understand that? I mean they make quality products, they may not be "worth" the price tag they carry, but most of the brands we all buy are not really worth the retail either. I like a fair amount of the LV men's collection and if I could spend the $ for a few pairs of their shoes/and or clothes I def. would. I know I do have one pair of their boots and I love them...

11. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

yes. Rich people buy a 1450$ armani plain cashmere tee shirt and normal people buy 20$ J.Crew.

Maybe they were made in the same factory, but it's different because the brand. I'm wearing Armani, and you are not.

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Because some mugs are paying stupid amounts of money just to have the LV branding on their footwear?
    [​IMG]
    LV should be paying me $1000 bucks for their advertising.

TBH I can't stand the sight of the bloody brand...
    [​IMG]

See also, Armani, Gucci, Versace, Burberry, D&G, etc.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I don't agree.

14. Xenon

Xenon Senior member

If you are reffering to most of thier shoes, this is just plain wrong under any objective criteria. If you really feel this way and are not just referring to the aesthetic (which is nice sometimes) than may I know what you would consider low quality shoes?

15. greger

greger Senior member

It is amazing what machines can do today. Some are controlled by computers doing better than man eyeballing it. The video was nice.