• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Vuitton Quality - After 3 Weeks use.

J888www

Reaction score
Louis Vuitton : Quality of Material and Client Service and they do NOT provide a 'guarantee' !!!

If you do not wish your Loved-Ones or friends becoming disappointed, alert them of the details.

This was purchased from The Peninsula Hotel, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong S.A.R.
Having used a LV Billfold (£205 current Retail Price) with 9 Credit Card slots for 3 Weeks, I discovered that the interior material was not of leather (canvas covered with synthetic material) because the it started to flake off.
Contacted LV Client Service and was advised to return the product to LV New Bond Street, London with a letter and receipt........I was expecting a reply with a quote for estimated cost of repair.
One Week later, there was NO acknowledgement of the item having been received, so contacted the London branch and requested reply. Still no email acknowledgement, so once again contacted LV (Client Service) but still no email response.
Couple of days passed and received the item, returned with a letter of explanation........................

Here's a transcript if communication from LV New Bond Street, London.

"I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 18th of May in which you expressed your dissatisfaction with the state of your wallet." (LIES, there was no such reply.)

"Firstly, I would like to thank you for your comments. Indeed, we attach great importance to your remarks, and we strive to take account of every one of them so we can offer you an excellent level of service, in line with your expectations. (Thank you for your cash, now do not bother us; not my expectation of quality of service.)

"Our products are made of the highest specifications and should, given sufficient care and attention, provide you with many years of pleasure." (LIES, it's not made of REAL leather, this synthetic material is low cost and deteriorates quickly, I only had 3 Weeks of pleasure not years.)

"Whilst we do not provide a 'guarantee' for our products, we have always honoured a replacement or refund for merchandise showing a manufacturing defect, on the very rare occasions that this occurs." (NB: NB: They do NOT provide any form of 'guarantee' and you are disillusioned into believing otherwise.)

"We are sorry for any disappointment this cause, but hope this letter clarifies Louis Vuitton's policy in this matter. (Thank you for your cash, do not bother us, we do not wish to know.)

"blah, blah, blah We hope to have the pleasure of your custom again very soon in our store." (Purchase more low quality LV products, it is definitely unlikely to happen.)

Signed
Ingrid Lecha
Acting Operations Manager
Louis Vuitton Maison New Bond Street

........but, but, but where's my quotation of estimated costs of repair ??? Do I have NO OPTIONS to repair at cost ???
Contacted LV Client Service to inquire as to why I was not informed of any options of repair and met with further NO REPLY.

Seems Louis Vuitton are inclined to treat their customers with disdain.

Here are some pictures of the defective product (as NEW).

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.365783210150774.83198.100001572947454&type=3&l=2d1e5d8b0a
Louis Vuitton Quality - After 3 Weeks usage. (4 photos)
Imitation Leather, synthetic material on canvas, this is what Louis Vuitton call "highest specifications" luxury goods.
No TYVM LV.

NB: I specifically informed them that this item has sentimental value, a gift from my them girl-friend who became my wife and now......................sent in the billfold for inspection with regard to have it repaired at my own cost if necessary and wondering as to why they came to the conclusion that I requested a refund or replacement. I had wished to keep that specific item, not a replacement, you cannot replace memories. The item had sweet sentimental value but this episode with LV Client Service had turn the sweetness to being sour.

Last edited by a moderator:

hermes man

Reaction score
is it made in france or spain?

i cant imagine the one which made in france would have poor quality

Last edited:

J888www

Reaction score
It is Made in France, as shown in the photos. The people in Hong Kong are very particular as to the origin of Manufacture. LV is from France and they would not purchase if they see it stamped Made in Spain.
The exterior is of very good quality, I had the same model prior to this purchased gift, but the interior is another standard.

Commented on LV Facebook page and within one minute, my constructive criticism was deleted.............LV's IT Department seems in constant alertness, they only want nice comments so it is not impartial.
Shame that LV's Manufacture and Client Service departments are not of the same standard as their IT department.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dude............many LV items are in fact canvas, and most people are aware of this at the time of purchase.

I would just get a refund and buy another piece.........could be that you just got a bad sample.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Hey man,

It seems like you're really upset. You bought something that was probably expensive, and definitely had a reputation you believed in, but the product didn't live up to your expectations.

I don't think it's fair to call these "LIES." Did she state in the letter that the wallet is made entirely of leather? If so, you're right, that is a LIE! But I don't think that she did.

Wasn't this a pretty polite letter? Mistakes happen. It sounds like they're replacing it, even though there's no stated guarantee. That's nice of them.

You're a real lucky customer!

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would be good to know what one is purchasing, canvas (toile) is a mark of Louis Vuitton products.
This doesn't mean it should fall apart in a few weeks but ...

AFAIK the same is true for Goyard and Moynat

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
FWIW I have had a leather LV wallet for the past 7 years. It's the only wallet I've used since I bought it. I treat it like crap and rarely clean it. It's still in unbelievably good shape and has an incredible patina.

It's very possible you got a defective product. Far less so that I bought the only quality wallet they've ever made.

HughJ

Reaction score

is it made in france or spain?
i cant imagine the one who made in france would have poor quality

There is no difference. Add USA to that list.

OP, sorry to hear about your poor experience with their customer service. I have a wallet that keeps taking a beating after 13 years with no maintenance whatsoever. This was from the Taiga line, which is yours?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to second the guy who's asking if you're sure it's a real LV wallet. I have a few of their products including a wallet (in Utah Leather) and have had nothing even close to what you're experiencing. The canvas is classic for LV (my wife has a few bags) and it does not look like what you're describing.

That said, I have seen fake LV wallets in the past, and they do look like what's going on there. I'm not accusing you, but you might want to double check the authenticity so you do not find yourself out any more cash.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm going to second the guy who's asking if you're sure it's a real LV wallet. I have a few of their products including a wallet (in Utah Leather) and have had nothing even close to what you're experiencing. The canvas is classic for LV (my wife has a few bags) and it does not look like what you're describing.
That said, I have seen fake LV wallets in the past, and they do look like what's going on there. I'm not accusing you, but you might want to double check the authenticity so you do not find yourself out any more cash.

That was my first thought, but assumed the OP purchased it from LV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads