• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis vuitton luggage

Reaction score
I'm 16 and looking to start purchasing classic pieces I want to buy a LV keepall 50 w/strap. You can look on eluxury.com to see it. My question is, is it a good invest piece for luggage? I plan to keep for the rest of my life. Is it a classic piece? I think so since the fabric has been made since 1892 What do you think?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LV does make very good luggage. However, I would advise against you making this purchase because:

1) LV will make you look a little too fussy. For more age appropriate luggage at the same pricepoint, go to a modernist brand like Prada.

2) Given your age, LV will probably be difficult to coordinate with your clothing. I saw a guy on my last trip to the east coast in the airport, obviously quite proud of his Prada Sport jacket and shoes, Versace Jeans, and an LV carry-on. He was obviously unaware that modernist/minimalist + maximalist + classic lux label = an ambiguous fashion statement that unambiguously says: I'm an ignorant label whore.

and most importantly:

3) Expensive luggage, especially obviously expensive luggle like LV, practically screams: Steal me. as it sits on the train station step or makes its way around the airport carousel. Maybe LV was practical back when gentlemen travelled with a full set of trunks and a manservant and were treated like royalty, but the realities of modern travel are much starker. If you're going to travel with any expensive accessories, make it a messenger bag that never leaves your shoulder.

Personally, I travel with an anonymous American Tourister bag, with a piece of ribbon for identification, and a messenger bag with spare glasses, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a change of clothes just in case the airline send my bag to Alaska again.

davei

Reaction score
I'll second LAG's fussiness and label whoring comment. Even though it's not, LV strikes me as slightly girly - I rarely see men with LV (or it may be men pick the more subtle styles.) If you must have LV, try the Taiga line. Prada is great too, but they have a habit of walking away as well... I had one that was nicked in a cafe. It literally took five seconds: I put it down to pour a coffee and it was gone. Luckily, I only had clothes in it
smile.gif
These days if I'm not bringing a suit, I pack everything very carefully into an Arc'Teryx backpack. I may look a little off, but I can carry it on and theft is NEVER a problem.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My parents had good lugage and it was stolen at the airport. This is one place to go generic since it's SO easy to steal luggage.

Reaction score
You all make good points and I do thank you for them but I wouldn't check it in but use it as a carry on.

Joe G

Reaction score
I'm 16 and looking to start purchasing classic pieces I want to buy a LV keepall 50 w/strap.  You can look on eluxury.com to see it.  My question is, is it a good invest piece for luggage?   I plan to keep for the rest of my life.  Is it a classic piece?  I think so since the fabric has been made since 1892 What do you think?
LV's quality is nowhere near good enough to justify the price. Why do you think that LV fakes abound? Because it's not that expensive to fake both the designs and the quality level. (I challenge anyone to take one of the better fakes from Dubai or HK and distinguish it from real LV.)

(You can also substitute "Prada" for "LV" in the above paragraph.)

If you want something impeccably made that will last forever, I'd recommend something like Hermes. But that's a bit "old" for a 16 y/o. Spend a bit less and get something that's more hip. Marques such as Bree, Tumi, or John Varvatos might be good places to start. Also, don't discount the big upper-midmarket mass retailers, such as Zara or Banana Republic.

Spend your savings perhaps on a nice wallet, such as one of those new Guccis with the change-purse and elastic strap. (I've actually put my Hermes wallet away and started carrying a Zara one similar to those Guccis, except I saw it before I saw the Guccis, and it cost about 1/6 as much...)

Peace,

JG

thc

Reaction score
I cannot stand the LV monogram. Not only do I think it just doesn't look good, but I also agree that it's kind of "girly" for a guy. If you have to have something LV, go for Taiga.

For my own luggage needs, I have a Holland & Holland duffel bag, and then just a normal old Samsonite garment bag. I'm pretty rough on my luggage (not to mention so are the handlers at the airport), so I didn't want to have to worry about my luggage getting all scratched up, etc.

That said, if you want to invest in good luggage and have the money to spend, I'd go for something understated from some of the more less well-known brands. I mentioned these before--Loewe, Goldpfeil, Seeger, Tanner Krolle & Valextra. Let me know if you want more info. on any of these brands.

Joe G

Reaction score
That said, if you want to invest in good luggage and have the money to spend, I'd go for something understated from some of the more less well-known brands.  I mentioned these before--Loewe, Goldpfeil, Seeger, Tanner Krolle & Valextra. Let me know if you want more info. on any of these brands.
thc, you gave me a phone # for Valextra in Berlin on the GQ Forum, but I can't find it in the archives and I stupidly didn't put it straight into my Palm. I'm going to be there this wknd. Do you still perchance have it handy?

Peace,

JG

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Junior Jet Setter. What took you so long to come to the forum? Did you ever end up buying that LV lock or that LV backgammon set?

Reaction score
Mike now that i look back on that its hilarious. I didn't need the lock to small and easy to lose. That Backgammon thing I never posted.

thc

Reaction score
Joe G,

I don't think Valextra has a store in Berlin. All of their store are in Italy plus one in St. Moritz.

I know Seeger and Goldpfeil have stores in Berlin. Did you mean one of those? Not sure about Loewe or Tanner Krolle, but you could probably look on their websites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads