• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louis Boston, winter sale

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't go out to do much B&M shopping usually, but I try to stop in to Louis for their bi-annual sales. Was not too impressed this go round: mostly dull or ill-fitting (see: Brioni) sport shirts and dress shirts, no sport coats in my size, no interesting shoes besides a couple (literally) pairs of nice Mantellassi's. I ended up picking up a few staples: a pair of slim, flat front grey flannels from Neil Barrett (who I'm told will be outsourcing some or all of their manufacturing to Japan (I think?), and for that reason Louis will no longer carry their line), an end-on-end medium blue Fray shirt, a substantial Kiton tie, a very casual black cotton blazer from Transit, and a few pairs of funky wool socks.

It's funny, but I've become so accustomed to getting things at such steep discounts, here at B&S, on teh 'bay, and various other etail sales venues that the 50% off at Louis just doesn't seem like that big (or good) a deal. I mean, you do get 1st crack at whatever didn't sell that season, after which the remainders get jobbed out to various discounters to be pored over by the "vultures" (used to all go to downtown F.B. before they shuttered it, now it just gets scattered to some of the suburban outlets I gather). Half of $625 for a pair of pants is still over $300, and a $425 shirt is still over $200. Lately I tend to think more in terms of $200 for a $600 pair of pants, or $140 or so for a $400 shirt, more like 2/3 off than 1/2, or even 20-25c on the dollar. But what the hell, there's something to be said for paying a little more for something you really want, rather than making a status- item purchase simply because it's dirt cheap (lot of times there's a reason for that). I know some here espouse "go out and buy what you really want whatever the cost" philosophy (Socal mayhaps?), but without deep pockets, one must generally be more resourceful. Hmmm, I appear to be rambling again. Did I mention I went to Louis Boston winter sale today...??

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I picked up a Henderson half-brogue derby. Did you see that one? I think it's pretty cool -- I like the styling better than nearly all of the Mantellassis I saw in there.

I was really impressed with the stuff Oxxford was doing for Louis. There was a pair of mid-grey houndstooth flat front flannels, flat front, that were just incredible and looked to have an amazing silhouette. Alas, 50% off of $675 is, as you say, still a heck of a lot.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HalfCanvas
I picked up a Henderson half-brogue derby. Did you see that one? I think it's pretty cool -- I like the styling better than nearly all of the Mantellassis I saw in there.

I was really impressed with the stuff Oxxford was doing for Louis. There was a pair of mid-grey houndstooth flat front flannels, flat front, that were just incredible and looked to have an amazing silhouette. Alas, 50% off of $675 is, as you say, still a heck of a lot.

Was the half-brogue in a kind of textured or treated leather? If so, it actually did catch my eye and I thought it was pretty cool looking, just not what I was in the market for. Also, I did see the Oxxford flannels and they were standouts among the dress pants rack. Never tried them on though, cause I had already put on the Barretts which fit me to a T. I might have to get back there and give them a second look/ try on since you speak so glowingly of them. Frankly I was surprised when I opened up the waistband and saw they were Oxxfords, so I guess in a way you could say I was impressed as well.

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
That's the shoe. It actually looked very much like a shoe I had been wanting to find.

It's amazing what Oxxford can do when the buyer just asks for a particular style. I saw the Barrett flannels by the way -- would've bought a pair if they had had my size.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rat < squirrel
Hugo Boss < Henderson
LB is pretty much done dumping unsold stock @ FB.
Not sure what they end up doing with it, nor do I particularly care.
Prior to their summer sale all Kiton shoos were yanked, then brought back on the floor once the sale ended. Meantime I went in with the purpose of picking up some shoos that nobody else in Boston carried. Yeah, some freaking day
devil.gif

On my return trip in September discovered that Barbera winter coat I had my eye on had sold out. Already ! And, of course, they don't do re-orders.
BTW, I agree about the selection being dull and getting worse.
Those paper thin leather jackets @ nearly $1500 were completely marsupialed.
Shoo selection - few Kiton/Barbera models aside - stank. (Never figured out who produces those for ole Luciano.)

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight on when the next winter sale will be? Usually mid-January I think.

david123

Reaction score
Not sure, but the summer one was pretty terrible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads