• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Louie on FX

Brian SD

Reaction score
So those of you who like this show... Why?

Honest question. I just can't find anything to like. The acting is bad, people are stupidly an unrealistically candid with their feelings, and everytime there's a potentially awesome chance, the story line falls flat and just comes off pretentious and emotionally tugging.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
So those of you who like this show... Why? Honest question. I just can't find anything to like. The acting is bad, people are stupidly an unrealistically candid with their feelings, and everytime there's a potentially awesome chance, the story line falls flat and just comes off pretentious and emotionally tugging.
It just shows a dark reality that I don't see anywhere else. Like the bully episode. I'm the same way about fighting, too much to lose, not worth it, but at the same time, I know that it's not an attractive trait when it comes to men and women. Louie manages to address it seriously, but with a funny absurd undertone, in Camus' sense of the word.

imightbechad

Reaction score
So those of you who like this show... Why?

Honest question. I just can't find anything to like. The acting is bad, people are stupidly an unrealistically candid with their feelings, and everytime there's a potentially awesome chance, the story line falls flat and just comes off pretentious and emotionally tugging.

I don't think the show's meant to feel realistic. I think it's meant to appear that way, but to me it seems incredibly surreal.

It's as if all of Louis' neuroses have manifested themselves in a terrifyingly tangible way. The bully. The pot head neighbor. The priest. The blabbing hipsters. They're not real, but they feel like it.

And I can't imagine this show seeming pretentious. Boring, sure. Painfully slow, yep. But pretentious?

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The dentist scene was funny. The rest of the past two eps have been meh at best. I did enjoy the Jesus stand up bit though.

"That is bananas"

When I saw that dentist zipping up his pants, I started to die laughing.

brlfvr

Reaction score
This show remains unfunny as much as I want to like it. It neither succeeds at tackling serious undertones or surreal IMHO. Even his standup is seeming less funny. The acting is painfully bad which makes it close to unwatchable. I think Louis has tried to take on too much with directing, acting and writing. Seinfeld was smart enough to have talented people handle each task seperately. Larry David is the exception with writing and acting( I say this lightley).

gdc_2008

Reaction score
I turn it on, I watch, I laugh.

You don't? Stop torturing yourselves and watch something else. Though, I have to admit...its not panning out the way things happen in the books....

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brlfvr
Seinfeld was smart enough to have talented people handle each task seperately. Larry David is the exception with writing and acting( I say this lightley).

Seinfeld is ****, and Curb Your Enthusiasm is perfection.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imightbechad
I don't think the show's meant to feel realistic. I think it's meant to appear that way, but to me it seems incredibly surreal.

It's as if all of Louis' neuroses have manifested themselves in a terrifyingly tangible way. The bully. The pot head neighbor. The priest. The blabbing hipsters. They're not real, but they feel like it.

And I can't imagine this show seeming pretentious. Boring, sure. Painfully slow, yep. But pretentious?

Pretentious not in how the characters act, but in how the show seems to take itself so seriously, as if some original statement is to be made by having the non-favorite son ask his mother over and over again if she loves him while she declines to answer, and eventually walks off having never responded directly. That's just one example of where the show just made me kind of face-palm and shrug. It seems like what a 21-year old would do for his final project in film class (and having had many of these types in my circle of friends, I assure you its not far off from the truth at all).

My original post came off as too harsh. I think the show had its moments, definitely some LOL-worthy material. I can tell that most of the subject matter comes from what could potentially be very funny stories. But when the characters of the stories are personified, it makes you realize that the delivery of a comedian on stage can be much stronger than when the ideas are manifested and acted.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretentious not in how the characters act, but in how the show seems to take itself so seriously, as if some original statement is to be made by having the non-favorite son ask his mother over and over again if she loves him while she declines to answer, and eventually walks off having never responded directly.

You took that seriously? I thought that scene was hilarious.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I can say is that I can't wait for the second season. The first had its ups and downs to be sure, but I really like how this show is shaping up. I don't take any of the vignettes seriously as representations of reality; rather, I see them as manifestations of his lonliness and insecurity. I mean, come on, in the first episode the woman he was on a date with suddenly hopped into a waiting helicopter and few off. Some may find them depressing, but most of them I find really funny. The few I don't think are really funny are the more serious ones which I find to be a nice change of pace.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Just watched the past two episodes. Some of the bits are hilarious and some of them are just stinkers. Overall, I'd keep watching if they bring it back.

Already renewed, bro!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Already renewed, bro!
Yes! Hopefully they can iron out some of the more awkward bits and throw in some more of the standup.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got back from Carnegie hall, almost pissed myself. ******* hysterical.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Louis CK is the effing best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics