• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lotuff & Clegg Bags?

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Faith in Lotuff restored.

Joe, the owner of the co., subscribes to this thread, saw my post above the day I posted it and made it right. Just received the remainder of my order plus a complimentary leather folio.

I've been using the chocolate zip-top briefcase daily since early December and am very happy with it. The leather is supple (no flaking, despite being unlined, contrary what's reported earlier in this thread), the color is rich (darker in natural light than what's shown on the Lotuff website), and I've yet to see a crooked stitch or problem with the hardware.

chefrogi

Reaction score
There is "Lotuff Korea", as well, who has stolen their brand name and logo. However the designs for the Korean brand are really nothing like the real thing. There's not much Lotuff can do about it, as I understand it. Korea is definitely known for copycatting, and I suppose the same thing happened in Hong Kong (or maybe it was the same people). I have seen the Korean Lotuff first hand, and it's a joke. I mean they're fine if they were just some random cheap bags that hadn't stolen someone else's brand... I just don't quite understand: why steal the Lotuff name? It's sort of a niche product anyway and it's not like Koreans know who Lotuff is. Hell hardly any Americans have heard of it. Such a weird name to steal.

Lotuff does distribute and sell their authentic, American-made products in Asia in select Club Monaco stores. I have seen them first hand in both Korea (Lotte department store, Myeong-dong Club Monaco) and Hong Kong (Causeway Bay Club Monaco).

I own a Lotuff duffle, a Tripp handbag for my wife, a canvas and leather briefcase. The quality on everything is near flawless. I am a happy Lotuff customer and a fan. I've also seen Clegg's products at The Armoury Hong Kong, and of course those are stunning as well. I actually wasn't aware of the background on Lotuff & Clegg until after I had purchased my items. I just stumbled on the Clegg duffle in Hong Kong and subsequently found this on Styleforum.

chefrogi

Reaction score
I've had the chestnut duffle for 1.5 years and same thing... flawless. Initially I thought I would have liked it to be lined, but I think unlined is the way to go.

tmai

Reaction score
Wow, so many years later this thread is a beautiful read. I saw Lotuff's bags and told myself that they look just like Frank Cleggs. Little did I know of the feud/history behind the brands.

I have much respect for both brands, and will enjoy researching both to decide which will eventually become mine.

jnorm15

Reaction score
Far too much clear water to be relevant today.

Wasn't trying to incite any bashing, just having a hard time deciding between the Lotus or the Clegg zip-top briefcase and wanted some advice.

mscottdoodle

Reaction score
You won't find a better bag than a Frank Clegg. Contact his son, Ian, for any questions. He will walk you through every step of the process of selecting the right bag for you.

BlackYeti

Reaction score
Quick update on my Lotuff goods:

Three years of daily use later, the briefcase is in excellent shape. The leather's received its expected scratches and fades (along the edges, at the corners and on the handles) and one or two stitches have frayed, but that's the extent of the wear. The same goes for the leather folio, which I use less frequently (approx. 1x/week).

I expect the briefcase to last for decades barring significant accidental damage. It's also as aesthetically pleasing to me as the Clegg alternative, though that's obviously subjective. Other than the reputation of the respective brands, then, I don't see any reason to pay Clegg's additional cost.

stonewall1614

Reaction score
Not to bump an old post, but I have a number of Lotuff items including a duffle, computer portfolio and wallet and they are simply exceptional. I also own a Frank Clegg Dopp Kit and Briefcase. These are also amazing and all of the items from both brands are of the highest quality and will be used for a lifetime.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads