• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lottery - do you play it?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, No, Maybe?

Have you ever worked at a place that sold tickets (and can tell us how much/many/often you sold them)?

Anyone know someone who knows someone who watched someone win one time?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i have a yearly subscription/quick pick deal where it plays for me every week.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've played Texas Lotto and the Mega Millions occasionally. It's $1 to play each time. Total, I've played maybe $20 worth in my lifetime.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do I play it? Not actively
Have I played it? Yes
Do I know someone that has won? Yes

I was in elementary school when the family of a classmate of mine won 30 million dollars. Took about a year or so for their lives to go to ****. The father quit his job and became incredibly lazy. They ended up with all kinds of extended family problems due to their new money.. . jealousy and resentment and whatnot. It just all went real bad.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if i won, i'd stay oin my current home, wear a disguise at the photo op and take care of a few people. i'd keep working but put my salary back into my business.

gouki

Reaction score
never play, I prefer to save my money for awesome clothes.

N

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've played around 10 times, mostly during the big powerballs even though I know the stupid odds. When the prizes are something like $150+ mil I get caught up in the whole, what if...

I wouldn't quit working either. I'd help family out, buy a couple homes and sink a lot of money into investments and my business.

bullethead

Reaction score
I play megamillions when it goes over 70 mill or so. Buy five bucks worth of easy picks-less than the price of a pint on the way home.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
As my poli sci teacher puts it "the tax on the poor"

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine called it 'a tax on people who can't do math'.

I think I've bought $3 worth of scratch tickets in my life though.

I prefer to lose my money in mortgage backed securities
teacha.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
As my poli sci teacher puts it "the tax on the poor"
I prefer the 'tax on people who can't do math' variant. Nonetheless, there is a pool at work for whenever the pot exceeds $50MM, and I always kick in $5 -- makes the odds slightly better, is something of a team building exercise, good all around. In my state, the moneys collected go primarily to elder care, which I have some considerable feeling for, so I don't mind. I did think what I could do with the money one day the pot was over $300MM -- buy my father his Viper, pay off all his debts and pretty much remove the 'what will I do if I lose my job' fears that always plague him, help out a few friends and family members who just can't seem to beat back reality, endow a scholarship at my community college, and somehow set up some sort of charity through my church for helping out the needy, especially the widows and orphans. My late Mom had a real passion that the church should do that. Edit: forgot what I'd personally do -- just go back to school and learn some more for awhile. There's so much I'd hope to know by now that I don't. But driving a Lotus. ~ H

daft

Reaction score
I've bought the megamillion it once and boy that was an exciting week. daydreaming about what i'm going to do with all the money i win. I eventually won 7 dollars or something like that, but the ticket was put in the washer with my clothes and i never saw it again.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably only bought $20 worth of powerball when it gets to record levels. Its pretty fun just to day dream about what you would do.

Also, a GREAT tip I learned from a friend of mine that I used a few times: Tip your bartender with scratchers. A. it still only costs you a dollar B. They will remember you and thus be more likely to "forget" a few drinks C. If they win even a little bit you are golden for the night. I wish I used this more often because its awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads