• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost

Calden

Reaction score
The season premiere is on tonight, any fans on style forum?

tsloop

Reaction score
I can't wait, my tivo is recording it now so I can watch right when I get off work.

Calden

Reaction score
I was a little surprised and a little let down, I think I expect too much from TV.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"You all, everybody!"

PS: And I think we've all worked with a guy like Locke.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I wasn't swept away by the season premiere.I fear this is becoming another Alias or X-Files or Twin Peaks (for those old enough to remember that show) where it started off strong, gets hyped and then goes downhill as it strives to solve old mysteries while creating new ones that are just bizarre to try to keep viewers hooked.

I'll give it a shot for a couple more epis...

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JJ Abrams is back in charge this season now that he is back from doing MI3. I think last season did kinda.. stagnate, but the last 4 or 5 episodes really were exciting. If they can keep up that pace for most of the season, I'd say it will be another great season (like season 1).

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I liked the premiere...but it's lost some of its "gotta see next week" quality that the first season had. A lot of the mysteries that were a big part of season 1 are now swept aside (like the "monsters") and the Twilight Zone aspect to the show has been replaced by a "The Village" dynamic.

Supposedly the show is only going to be 5 seasons with a definite ending that is rumored to be already known by the writers, but I'm not confident they know quite how to connect Point A with Point B.

but so far I'm still into it and it hasnt "jumped the shark" yet.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Lost, but the problem with shows like this is revealing enough information to keep viewers hooked, but not revealing so much that the show reaches a premature end point. X Files ultimately wasn't able to maintain this balance (i.e. "The truth is out there, but if we tell you what it is too soon, the show will be over. On the other hand, if we never tell you what it is, we're going to eventually lose the creative means to keep your interest, and you'll get pissed at us and stop watching.").

There are also far too many of these type of "serial" shows out there right now, all trying to catch lightning in a bottle like Lost did (The Nine, Jericho, etc. - even CSI is trying it to a certain extent by not wrapping up all of its cases at the end of each hour). I just can't invest the time and energy to follow umpteen groups of people as they try to unravel whatever mysteries are plaguing their soles and situations. Sometimes there's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned one hour police procedural.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I liked the pilot for The Nine, reminds me of last year's Reunion which was a fave but it got cancelled 1/3 way thru. The thing I dont understand about shows like these is they can only be effective as a one shot single season series. If it did happen to catch on and be popular, it would be sure that after the initial "mystery" was solved you'd be hard pressed to keep it going and keep interest. A lot of new shows seem to have that dynamic, where it would be rivetting for only one season, which wouldnt be a bad thing to do, have single seasons shows that wrap up all loose ends after one season. then move on to another idea.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
A lot of new shows seem to have that dynamic, where it would be rivetting for only one season, which wouldnt be a bad thing to do, have single seasons shows that wrap up all loose ends after one season. then move on to another idea.

I agree with you, but, from a business standpoint, this would never happen.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Supposedly the show is only going to be 5 seasons with a definite ending that is rumored to be already known by the writers, but I'm not confident they know quite how to connect Point A with Point B.
Nah, if the show is still generating lots of money, I don't think they would only limit it to five seasons. The creators would like us to believe that they have already have the storyline all mapped out, but I've read other interviews from writers that they really don't and that they needed to go back and refilm scenes to later connect the dots.
Originally Posted by GreyFlannelMan
I wasn't swept away by the season premiere.I fear this is becoming another Alias or X-Files or Twin Peaks (for those old enough to remember that show) where it started off strong, gets hyped and then goes downhill as it strives to solve old mysteries while creating new ones that are just bizarre to try to keep viewers hooked.
But, this show doesn't really strive to solve the old mysteries. I'd give it more leeway if it did that while adding new questions to keep viewers interested. It almost seems like the creators don't know the answers themselves so they keep on pushing back those first mysteries and come up with new ones to distract us. And, its ratcheting up the expected payoff when we finally do find the answers. I suspect that we're going to be 'that's it?' when they finally reveal the secrets of the island, and that's why they've been so reluctant to tell us anything. I still think the island is purgatory would have been the best ending for the show, but the creators have already nixed that idea.
I liked the pilot for The Nine, reminds me of last year's Reunion which was a fave but it got cancelled 1/3 way thru. The thing I dont understand about shows like these is they can only be effective as a one shot single season series. If it did happen to catch on and be popular, it would be sure that after the initial "mystery" was solved you'd be hard pressed to keep it going and keep interest. A lot of new shows seem to have that dynamic, where it would be rivetting for only one season, which wouldnt be a bad thing to do, have single seasons shows that wrap up all loose ends after one season. then move on to another idea.
Ah, another fan of Reunion. We should start a support group for fans of the show. I'm still so bitter about its premature cancellation that I won't watch anything on FOX; that was just a big middle finger to all its fans. I still don't understand why they couldn't have just aired the shows they had already filmed on FOX's sister cable channel, FX. You know they'll never be able to release the show on DVD due to musical licensing rights. From what I understand, if Reunion had been succesful, they were then going to focus on a new set of friends over 20 years for the next season, where one of those characters had been introduced in the first season.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by esquire.
Ah, another fan of Reunion. I'm still so bitter about its premature cancellation that I won't watch anything on FOX; that was just a big middle finger to all its fans. I still don't understand why they couldn't have just aired the shows they had already filmed on FOX's sister cable channel, FX. There needs to be a support group for Reunion fans.

Some markets (canada maybe?) got to see the other 4 or 5 episodes that were filmed but never aired in the US market. I've read on imdb boards that Fox's representative revealed the killer was intended to be the daughter, Amy.

JBZ, yep, unfortunately such are the realities of TV biz

Brian SD

Reaction score
Agree with most of the sentiments posted here. I did think the first episode was worth watching and I'll continue to watch, but I really want to see answers to old stories they opened. I feel like they asked a million questions but never really answered the originals. Though I was pretty interested to see that the book club was on the island, thus the others have been living there. Very interesting. I still want more of an explanation though, and I'd like to know why they're so intent on keeping seperate from the plane crashed guys.

Speaking of questions, they really need to finish this whole deal with the numbers written on the hatch, the lotto numbers, etc. etc.

Honestly.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Agree with most of the sentiments posted here. I did think the first episode was worth watching and I'll continue to watch, but I really want to see answers to old stories they opened. I feel like they asked a million questions but never really answered the originals. Though I was pretty interested to see that the book club was on the island, thus the others have been living there. Very interesting. I still want more of an explanation though, and I'd like to know why they're so intent on keeping seperate from the plane crashed guys.

Speaking of questions, they really need to finish this whole deal with the numbers written on the hatch, the lotto numbers, etc. etc.

Honestly.

I think its fine what they are doing. They are generating more questions as they open the new season... which seems normal, and they will answer some questions that linger, such as who Jack really is (one crazy sunuvabitch).

Most of people's complaints about the show relate to his or her inpatience. I am perfectly content letting the show run its course. I don't need answers RIGHT NOW. I can wait until next week or next season. That's half the fun.. the suspense. Most shows on TV are full of instant gratification, which gets boring pretty quickly, and they lack true suspense.

And speaking of inpatience and lack of suspense (beware, this is a side rant), I can't stand the damn previews for next week. I always change the channel before all the spoilers come on, and I basically am forced to watch all tv from my Tivo to avoid commercials and other spoilers that always pop up for the shows I watch. Maybe my memory is better than most of the TV viewing population (I doubt it), but I can always recall what I saw on the spoiler while viewing the new episode, and I've got the whole thing figured out 5 minutes into it, which isn't fun. Granted they try to lead you astray with the previews, but its so formulaic by now that they really aren't leading anyone astray anymore.

Same can be said for movies. I'd rather no absolutely nothing about a movie except if it has a good directory/writer/cast. An opinion or two from people I respect is all I need if I am considering checking out a movie.

[/RANT]

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Reading this thread reminds me of how Patrick MacGoohan envisioned his show The Prisoner, which may have been an inspiration for Lost. He originally wanted only nine or so episodes -- a half season -- since he felt that was all he needed for the themes of his brilliant, enigmatic series to unfold. He was finally pushed to pad it out to about 17 by his network, but still his show lasted only one season and didn't get dragged out over years to make a buck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads