• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Weight Tailoring Jackets

btbaeker

Reaction score
Hello.

I am new here, and have been thoroughly enjoying the opinions and knowledge regarding clothing, accessories, and the larger scope of fashion.

I have recently lost 50 lbs, which has really increased my interest in looking good and fining a style that fits the new me. As such, I have some classic suits and a blazer that are all 48R.

I went trying on new suits today and found that I am between a 44L and a 46R now.

My question is: is it feasible to have a jacket taken in that much? If so, is it cost effective? What about taking pants in from 40 waist to 36-38?

Thanks for the help!

Ben

MikeF

Reaction score
If your clothes fit you properly before, no tailor can do enough to them to make them fit properly now. Sell them or donate them to charity and start building a new wardrobe. There's no point in throwing good money after what is now bad money.

A new wardrobe will also give you a serious incentive to keep the weight off.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on where you lost the weight. If your chest/shoulders are the same, but your gut is smaller, you may be able to get the body trimmed down 4-6 inches around.

I have to do this regularly as I'm a 48R chest/shoulder, and 42R in the body. Consequently I often alter RTW jackets and haven't had too much trouble with it.

The chest can be reduced slightly, but the shoulder seems to be too hard to bother with.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to try tailoring one suit and then judge the results. A reputable tailor will refuse the work if the results will be questionable.

btbaeker

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I am going to take one of my cheap jackets in to give it a try. I did lose a lot of the weight around the gut. I have naturally very wide shoulders as it is...so maybe it will work.

I would love to ditch the whole wardrobe and try again with new sizing, but the financial planner (aka...the wife) won't allow it. One piece at a time is what she tells me.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by btbaeker
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I am going to take one of my cheap jackets in to give it a try. I did lose a lot of the weight around the gut. I have naturally very wide shoulders as it is...so maybe it will work.

I would love to ditch the whole wardrobe and try again with new sizing, but the financial planner (aka...the wife) won't allow it. One piece at a time is what she tells me.

Sounds like you should lose another 130lbs or so.

I kid
tounge.gif

btbaeker

Reaction score
good call homer. The problem is, she is the one who brings home the bacon.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats and way to go. I have had a similar problem in the past. Since most of your weight loss was in the middle, you might be just fine. Perhaps hit the gym hard and pack on some more shoulder muscles to fill out the shoulders of the jackets.

You will be pleasantly surprised how much a good tailor can do; just be prepared to pay for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads