• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost weight; need advice on how to salvage dress shirts

Doremus J.

Reaction score
Earlier this year I lost some weight and went from a 16 neck to 15.5, and then I bought a bunch of Brooks Brothers non-iron, slim fit shirts. I've lost more weight since then; I haven't measured my neck again, but it's got to be down to a 15 because the collars on all my shirts are incredibly loose and I look like a 5 year old if I button the collar and put on a tie.

My understanding is that BB non-iron shirts don't shrink much so it's not like I can just stick them in the dryer and fix the problem (especially because I don't want to shrink the sleeves). Would a tailor be able to tighten up the neck on my BB shirts in a way that would look good? Is there anything else I can do to keep from having all these shirts be relegated to unbuttoned casual wear?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is really nothing you can do, unless you want to spend the $$ on your tailor completely redoing the collars from scratch and reattaching them to the shirts. I'd rather just buy new shirts.

Doremus J.

Reaction score
Thanks, but damnit. I spent about $1,000 on those shirts and I'd like to be able to wear a tie with them.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Develop a program to work out your neck. I'm sure you can gain another .5 by the end of the year. As a motivation tool, spend another $1K on 15.5 shirts.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just sell them and put the proceeds towards your next shirts.

Doremus J.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits
+1 they will never fit quite right. Your better off taking the loss and getting new ones.

The body and arms still fit well, so I guess I'll just wear them without ties. It's frustrating because I also bought a number of ties to go with these shirts. But I guess that's the price to pay for being in better shape.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
no tailor really wants to work on non iron
but

how many are the same fabric, bought at the same time
if you have three blue pp ox shirts a shirtmaker could cut up one and change the collars on two.
otherwise whie collars

on the sneaker side

measure the collars button to button hole I will wager that the size 16 collars measure close to 16 1/2" if so, go back to brooks and complain about the size and try to get your money back

Carl

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doremus J.
The body and arms still fit well, so I guess I'll just wear them without ties. It's frustrating because I also bought a number of ties to go with these shirts. But I guess that's the price to pay for being in better shape.

Lesson #2....NEVER buy ties to GO WITH SHIRTS! Buy ties that you like and they will last a lifetime through any wardrobe! I never buy a shirt and walk to the tie section to find a tie that matches it. That's strictly JV. When you see a nice tie, buy it. When you see a nice shirt, buy it. If you have enough of both, you will be set!

AlmostFullBenefits

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
gain the weight back, problem solved.

This really is the most sensible solution. Here, have a box of doughnuts to cheer yourself up.

On a related note, is it possible for a tailor to re-collar a shirt using a smaller (or different in general) collar size without it looking obvious, as JhwkMac suggested? I was/am unaware that this could work at all, so if it is possible, it might be a useful bit of knowledge to have later on in life.

juvefan

Reaction score
would, generally speaking, be cheaper to switch the collars for size-desired, white ones?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlmostFullBenefits
(...)

On a related note, is it possible for a tailor to re-collar a shirt using a smaller (or different in general) collar size without it looking obvious, as JhwkMac suggested? I was/am unaware that this could work at all, so if it is possible, it might be a useful bit of knowledge to have later on in life.

I don't see it working at all.

FWIW, I went from a 15.5 neck to a 15, but kept the 15.5 shirts to wear open-collared.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads