Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lost Tie Collection while moving...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lemmywinks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Kind of bummed but my most valuable tie was a Robert Talbott I got brand new $30.

I guess the good news is that I get to start a tie collection, this time with a serious emphasis on quality over quantity. I might thrift a few ties down the road.

I don't wear ties that much but I'd like to have more than one tie. Most of my shirts are some combination of white and blue.

So if you could start over with your tie collection, what are the first two you would buy? I was thinking about the Grenadine as I've seen a lot of them look good in the WAWYT threads but I have no idea if they might be too flashy.

My only suit is a 2 button navy suit.

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

Depends on the price. There are many options for $100 per tie. If you don't want to spend more than $20, they become severely limited.

3. Birks and Grey Socks

Birks and Grey Socks Senior member

It takes a bit of work hunting store sales but I have not spent more than $35 for most of my new ties, and I have amassed many Zegna, Canali, Drake, Boss, Talbott...etc.

Here on SF, I have bought endless great condition used ties for $20-30, including a nice TF for $65

Don't overlook pink and orange when trying to match navy and white, especially orange

4. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

I don't know if there are any other places that have Robert Talbott, or Robert Talbott Carmel outlets, but most regular ties are $35, the knits and bowties are $25, and I believe the 7-folds are $75. The selection is absolutely huge in terms of styles and colors, and changes quite often.

Grenadines are wonderful, by the way.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

6. FumblesOBrien

FumblesOBrien Member

I'd go with a Blue/Red striped (regimental) tie. It's classic/conservative and looks great. For the second tie go with something that catches your eye. This way you will have an appropriate tie for conservative occasions and one for more liberal/party occasions.

Check out Nordstrom Rack. They have a huge selection of ties for cheap. I just bought a $98 tie for 20 bucks.

7. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I was looking for more specific tie recommendations, but I guess there is so much personal preference in ties. I plan to pick up most of my ties through thrifting and bargain hunting but I was looking for a true 'staple' tie that people would gladly pay retail for it.

8. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

Solid navy twill which can be worn with almost any shirt. Navy polka dots. Both are quite versatile.

9. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Brooks Brothers and Polo have some staple ties on sale right now.

10. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Senior member

I spend around 35-40$ on my ties unless I catch them on sale.

11. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

If your most expensive tie was 30 bucks then you can't have been very attached to them. Between B&S, eBay, and store (esp. outlet) sales, it's incredibly easy to cheaply amass a collection of very nice ties.

12. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

13. GBR

GBR Senior member

Kind of bummed but my most valuable tie was a Robert Talbott I got brand new $30.

I guess the good news is that I get to start a tie collection, this time with a serious emphasis on quality over quantity. I might thrift a few ties down the road.

I don't wear ties that much but I'd like to have more than one tie. Most of my shirts are some combination of white and blue.

So if you could start over with your tie collection, what are the first two you would buy? I was thinking about the Grenadine as I've seen a lot of them look good in the WAWYT threads but I have no idea if they might be too flashy.

My only suit is a 2 button navy suit.

How many ties constitutes a "collection" when you only have one suit, and how on earth did you contrive to lose it?