• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost on jacket length; pictures of short VS regular from short supply (I'm 5'6")

FuriousAngus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking of buying a new sportscoat/blazer to wear out or to work ( I teach university kids, no need for a suit, but business casual is good), but I'm not sure which jacket length suits me better. Both jackets cover my bottom.The navy is a size 40 regular from SuitSupply and the grey is a size 40 SHORT from SuitSupply. I have strange proportions for a guy who's 5'6".

Pictures attached.

SuitSupply 40 REGULAR
IMG_1902.jpg IMG_1903.jpg IMG_1904.jpg IMG_1905.jpg IMG_1906.jpg

SuitSupply 40 SHORT (don't mind the sleeve length)

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1908.jpg IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1910.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 48

FuriousAngus

Reaction score
I slightly prefer the short but either one is fine.

Just look at it yourself and ask yourself if either one makes either your legs look too short or too long. Neither one does IMO.

Thanks; I honestly prefer the shorter one as well and I feel that it fits my mid section better too (more proportional), but honestly I have short legs and I thought that the jacket was supposed to be the same length as your pants (not including feet) so jackets always seemed short.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't love this cut on you. The buttoning point is extremely, extremely high. I think you probably struggle with fit as your chest measurements are probably a bit out of wack for your height. Lower buttoning points will probably make you look taller, as it would deepen the V between the lapels

FuriousAngus

Reaction score
I don't love this cut on you. The buttoning point is extremely, extremely high. I think you probably struggle with fit as your chest measurements are probably a bit out of wack for your height. Lower buttoning points will probably make you look taller, as it would deepen the V between the lapels

Thank you! You are absolutely correct. My chest measures at 42" whereas my waist measures at 32...I try to avoid "over-tapering" my shirts because I end up looking like a comic book character. I typically wear shirts with a 20 inch waist because I tend to look more "human" in those.

Where would I find suits that have a lower button stance? I don't have access to good suit makers here in Saudi Arabia so I'm strictly limited to buying online.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, that is tricky. You are just about definitely going to be operating in the world of MTM if not bespoke with those dimensions. Well, that is really going to be true for suits as you need to go down couple sizes for the trousers, but you might be ok off the rack for sport coats

I am a bit skeptical of online MTM where you or some other amateur measures you, and off the measurements go to China, and 6 weeks later a suit shows up. Ideally, for MTM, you could try on a test garment, and they could adjust off that pattern - assuming that the pattern works well for you.

I don't know if Suit Supply has different cuts - sometimes when I look at stuff, I will guestimate where the wearer's belly button is and estimate how much higher the button point is. A lot of the stuff from the 00's has that skinny suit look, which is designed really for 38L or 38XL folks. That look is still a lot of places, but it is starting to turn over.

Forum affiliate NMWA tends to stock lower buttoning point stuff. Also, often the high buttoning point stuff comes with a shorter-in-general length. I think you ought to try measuring the SuSu 40R - see how it compares in length to other 40 in the marketplace.

I am a bit surprised at how well the length of the 40R works for you - I am basically a 41-42R who is 6 inches taller than you

I have no idea who ships to Saudi, unfortunately

FuriousAngus

Reaction score
Man, that is tricky. You are just about definitely going to be operating in the world of MTM if not bespoke with those dimensions. Well, that is really going to be true for suits as you need to go down couple sizes for the trousers, but you might be ok off the rack for sport coats

I am a bit skeptical of online MTM where you or some other amateur measures you, and off the measurements go to China, and 6 weeks later a suit shows up. Ideally, for MTM, you could try on a test garment, and they could adjust off that pattern - assuming that the pattern works well for you.

I don't know if Suit Supply has different cuts - sometimes when I look at stuff, I will guestimate where the wearer's belly button is and estimate how much higher the button point is. A lot of the stuff from the 00's has that skinny suit look, which is designed really for 38L or 38XL folks. That look is still a lot of places, but it is starting to turn over.

Forum affiliate NMWA tends to stock lower buttoning point stuff. Also, often the high buttoning point stuff comes with a shorter-in-general length. I think you ought to try measuring the SuSu 40R - see how it compares in length to other 40 in the marketplace.

I am a bit surprised at how well the length of the 40R works for you - I am basically a 41-42R who is 6 inches taller than you

I have no idea who ships to Saudi, unfortunately

Shipping is not an issue; I can get anything shipped to Saudi through a forwarding agent (thats how I buy a lot of my clothing). Thanks,I'll definitely have to check these options out! I have to say though, I get compliments on the fit of the suit a lot and honestly it looks a LOT better in person than it does here, but I'm trying to look the best I can to me because I get a ton of gratification from that, so here we are. I'm 5'6" but my arms are that of a guy who's 6'2", too.

I think I'll have a MTM blazer made off the length of the grey jacket, probably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads