• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Monarch - Official Affiliate Thread

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Seconded. I would be interested in the Donegal sweater if you guys do a saddle shoulder.

Saddle shoulder is the plan! We're currently in talks with a couple of the very few manufacturers that do fully-fashioned knits. We have all the specs lined up and the yarn sourced and tested, so it's just a matter of finding the manufacturer that can do the best job for the best price.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats Ian! Definitely interested in the sweater and 1pc collar polo. XS-Small (34-36) sizes I hope?

XS is very much in the works!

The thighs look slim but I'm definitely going to try them out. The rise looks great.

Thanks! What size thigh (or what brands) do you typically go for? I wouldn't call ours roomy in the thigh or anything like that but they do have a bit more space than, say, rivet chinos or J. Crew chinos or other classic 'slim' chinos like that.

slows2k

Reaction score
What size thigh (or what brands) do you typically go for? I wouldn't call ours roomy in the thigh or anything like that but they do have a bit more space than, say, rivet chinos or J. Crew chinos or other classic 'slim' chinos like that.

I used to wear J.Crew 770 fit, but have switched over to Taylor Stitch Democratic chinos; I find they fit similarly in the top block. Also Taylors from Epaulet fit well. Is it possible to compare the thigh and seat fit of yours to these? My issue is almost always the seat and thighs.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I used to wear J.Crew 770 fit, but have switched over to Taylor Stitch Democratic chinos; I find they fit similarly in the top block. Also Taylors from Epaulet fit well. Is it possible to compare the thigh and seat fit of yours to these? My issue is almost always the seat and thighs.

I haven't tried the Democratic or the Taylor. I have worn the 770 a good amount and ours is definitely a bit more spacious through the entire leg. More like the Urban Slim fit from like 5-10 years ago.

slows2k

Reaction score
I haven't tried the Democratic or the Taylor. I have worn the 770 a good amount and ours is definitely a bit more spacious through the entire leg. More like the Urban Slim fit from like 5-10 years ago.

Thats good to know; I fit into those pretty well, too. Thanks!

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
XS is very much in the works!

Thanks! What size thigh (or what brands) do you typically go for? I wouldn't call ours roomy in the thigh or anything like that but they do have a bit more space than, say, rivet chinos or J. Crew chinos or other classic 'slim' chinos like that.
I actually dont have a great fitting chino - J crew's classic (not the slimmer ones) work ok. It's why I've fallen into wearing jeans more when not wearing wool pants. Definitely going to try yall's out and hope for the best.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey all-

So one of the reasons we were very interested in becoming a styleforum affiliate is because we're hoping to use this platform as a place to discuss upcoming products and get feedback. We want to be very open about the product development process and welcome your thoughts along the way.

So with that said, one product I've been discussing is working with Golden Bear (A San Francisco-based outerwear company that has been around since the 20s) to create a suede blouson. I think this style of outerwear plays right in to what we are trying to create - clothing that is inherently casual but still has a bit of refinement and can be easily dressed up or down, and made at a factory that is deeply experienced in this type of product. Here's a sketch similar to what we are trying to do:
Screen_Shot_2019-03-15_at_2.13.08_PM.png

We are planning on making this in goat suede. Probably dark brown to start but we're open to other ideas as well. We'll likely use the same matte horn buttons from Italy that we use on our chinos.

brown_suede.jpg
DSCF3824.jpg

And a few adjustments to the pattern you see above:

-slightly smaller front pockets with an inverse pleat and side-entry
-five buttons on leather center front instead of four
-adjustments to collar size

So here are some questions for you all:

-what do you think of this product in general?
-are there any features you would definitely want to see?
-what price point would get you really excited? I already have an idea of what is feasible but want your thoughts on this as well.

Last edited:

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a valstarino and will probably get one some day, just never got around to it. But it’s one of the classics that I think I’d really enjoy. I had a chance to try one on at a shop in the Bay Area and I confirmed that it is indeed awesome. I assume your version would be priced much more reasonably and if the feel and fit is great I’d give it a try. The length seems like it’s a bit tricky with this jacket. It needs to be short enough and it would need to make me commit to wearing them with a higher waisted trousers. After the length, I’d like a roomy body but with a nice rounded shape.

For color I’ve always thought caramel was better than dark brown.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool jacket. Something to consider is that patch pockets with flaps right in in the belly area offer additional visual volume which isn't always flattering on guys unless they have a skinny waist and broad shoulders. I would suggest angled "****" pockets (not sure of the right term) for a more lean, trim look. You still get good detail from the ribbed top and bottom and the buttons.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted a valstarino and will probably get one some day, just never got around to it. But it’s one of the classics that I think I’d really enjoy. I had a chance to try one on at a shop in the Bay Area and I confirmed that it is indeed awesome. I assume your version would be priced much more reasonably and if the feel and fit is great I’d give it a try. The length seems like it’s a bit tricky with this jacket. It needs to be short enough and it would need to make me commit to wearing them with a higher waisted trousers. After the length, I’d like a roomy body but with a nice rounded shape.

For color I’ve always thought caramel was better than dark brown.

Our goal is definitely to make something at a more aggressive price. I do like caramel, though I personally find it harder to wear. I think olive could be a great color too, outside of the brown shades.

Agreed that the length is super important for this sort of thing. We'd probably make the ribbing on the hem a little smaller (more like 2.5" instead of 3") to bring the length up a touch.

Cool jacket. Something to consider is that patch pockets with flaps right in in the belly area offer additional visual volume which isn't always flattering on guys unless they have a skinny waist and broad shoulders. I would suggest angled "****" pockets (not sure of the right term) for a more lean, trim look. You still get good detail from the ribbed top and bottom and the buttons.

Good point! I think we've all seen that picture of Simon Crompton looking very strangely proportioned in the Stoffa flight jacket. **** pockets could definitely help with that, as would be making sure that the jacket isn't too short either.

oldschoolcool

Reaction score
@brillopad I would definitely be interested in a suede blouson and welcome the idea!

Regarding your denim, is the fit very slim? Would you compare the silhouette to the Orslow 107 fit?

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@brillopad I would definitely be interested in a suede blouson and welcome the idea!

Regarding your denim, is the fit very slim? Would you compare the silhouette to the Orslow 107 fit?

I wouldn't describe it as *very* slim, more of a slim-straight. I'd say the fit is pretty comparable to the 107s (though FWIW I've seen a fair amount of variance in the 107s fit from pair to pair). You can see our measurements here (look for the size chart link).

Quesjac

Reaction score
A1 type suede jackets have been on my mind recently --- I am often at a loss for outerwear that's more casual than a tailored jacket but isn't barbour type stuff.

I share the thought with @dalevy that Valstar is the standard others will be measured by. Craftsman clothing makes some great things too. But there's not a huge amount that I can see between that $1000+ bracket and the high street brands, so something in the middle with classic sensibility would be great. Chocolate suede is a fine idea --- an olive / sand / navy linen-cotton blend could be nice too for summer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads