• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost in the mail

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered something from an affiliate, that went out for delivery on Jan 23rd. According to the tracking it was never delivered. USPS says I cant' open a claim because I'm not the shipper. I asked the affiliate if they would re-send the order, and they in stead, offered me a smaller one time credit. Are they doing me a favor or should they be responsible for ensuring delivery?

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Was the item shipped internationally? I have been told by many international sellers (on eBay and on legitimate ecommerce sites) that if there are two carriers (i.e. they ship Royal Mail and then USPS picks it up after it clears customs in the States) that they cannot be liable once the package switches hands to USPS.

I assume someone running a business would insure their parcels, however, so it doesn't seem right they wouldn't be able to refund the entire purchase price.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was the item shipped internationally? I have been told by many international sellers (on eBay and on legitimate ecommerce sites) that if there are two carriers (i.e. they ship Royal Mail and then USPS picks it up after it clears customs in the States) that they cannot be liable once the package switches hands to USPS.
I assume someone running a business would insure their parcels, however, so it doesn't seem right they wouldn't be able to refund the entire purchase price.

It was, in fact, shipped internationally. I feel the same way about insurance.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

It was, in fact, shipped internationally. I feel the same way about insurance.

Yeah. The whole international thing is a pain. I specifically request that international packages are sent via FedEx, UPS or DHL just to ensure that they are in the same hands throughout the entire process.

Customs also seems to be a nightmare for foreign shipping entities. I remember I had a pair of shoes that took three months to show up. I had everything lined up with eBay and PayPal. Was out for blood. And then they randomly showed up one day. No one at USPS or customs could tell me anything and then poof, there they were. Seems like this should all be much easier. We are in 2012, after all.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Could be worse. You could have gotten the item, but then it might have been 5cm off.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
I think any company, but especially an SF affiliate selling stuff because they advertised on SF, should take care of their customers. This is kind of ridiculous.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think any company, but especially an SF affiliate selling stuff because they advertised on SF, should take care of their customers. This is kind of ridiculous.

tough call, especially due to the international element.

Sellers are not in the shipping business. Unless they own their own shipping company they cannot guarantee the actions or performance of the USPS.

I think both parties have to do some diligence in holding USPS accountable...........it's too easy for them to use the "we handle thousands of packages a day...." excuse.

Hopefully it all works out.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think both parties have to do some diligence in holding USPS accountable...........it's too easy for them to use the "we handle thousands of packages a day...." excuse.

I tracked the package and contacted the local post office. They have no idea what happened to it after it went out on the truck. I have done my due diligence. It simply appears to be lost. In surance may be an issue for the Seller because there are multiple shippers. The shipper they used is only responsible for getting the package to the USPS, which they accomplished.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tracked the package and contacted the local post office. They have no idea what happened to it after it went out on the truck. I have done my due diligence. It simply appears to be lost. In surance may be an issue for the Seller because there are multiple shippers. The shipper they used is only responsible for getting the package to the USPS, which they accomplished.

I see..........well, you took it as far as you could on your end, however their excuse is still not good enough. If they don't know what happened to the package once on the truck then who will?

my fingers are crossed for you.........

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The USPS tracking system is one of the worst there is. I hope your package arrives.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always gotten my parcels by USPS. On rare occasion, the package is damaged, but it was always delivered. I once sent a letter USPS Express. It was delivered, two months later. The envelope was passed to a subcontractor. The subs truck driver was in an accident. The driver went to the hospital, and the truck was totaled. The truck went to auction and was purchased by a scrap dealer. The scrap dealer discovered the truck full of parcels and called USPS. USPS picked up the parcels and delivered them. USPS refunded my money. Crazy, I know, but it has only happened once in my life. Otherwise the Post Office has always done a good job. Be persistent and ask USPS to put a trace on the package.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've always gotten my parcels by USPS.  On rare occasion, the package is damaged, but it was always delivered.  I once sent a letter USPS Express.  It was delivered, two months later.  The envelope was passed to a subcontractor.  The subs truck driver was in an accident.  The driver went to the hospital, and the truck was totaled.  The truck went to auction and was purchased by a scrap dealer.  The scrap dealer discovered the truck full of parcels and called USPS.  USPS picked up the parcels and delivered them.  USPS refunded my money.  Crazy, I know, but it has only happened once in my life.  Otherwise the Post Office has always done a good job.  Be persistent and ask USPS to put a trace on the package.

That's a pretty amazing story.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads