• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing weight

Axl Rose

Reaction score
Alright, im 18 years old 5'11 and 190 pounds.I want to join a gym but i need some tips on what to do to to help me lose wight, such as vitamins, special shakes or smoothies, and certain work outs, all that kinda stuff,thanks.
worship.gif

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're overthinking it.
1. Weightlift 3 times a week, compound lifts. Buy "Starting Strength" or something.
2. Do cardio 3 times a week. You can do it in a) in the morning, fasted OR b) directly after workout IF you have the energy and time OR c) 8 or more hours after workout.
3. Figure out how much you eat in terms of calories. Start eating around 500 cal below that. More calories OUT than IN - that is the only way to lose weight.
4. Once you start losing some weight and gaining some muscle, then you can start thinking about supplementation and advanced training programs.
PS: None of this Jamba Juice smoothie ****. That stuff is full of calories and sugar.

bimmernate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
You're overthinking it.
1. Weightlift 3 times a week, compound lifts. Buy "Starting Strength" or something.
2. Do cardio 3 times a week. You can do it in a) in the morning, fasted OR b) directly after workout IF you have the energy and time OR c) 8 or more hours after workout.
3. Figure out how much you eat in terms of calories. Start eating around 500 cal below that. More calories OUT than IN - that is the only way to lose weight.
4. Once you start losing some weight and gaining some muscle, then you can start thinking about supplementation and advanced training programs.
PS: None of this Jamba Juice smoothie ****. That stuff is full of calories and sugar.

Not much more to add. I would say be sure to drink a protein shake but dont doctor it up with ice cream and other crap.

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
your situation is just about the same for me, im 19, 5'10" and weighed in at about 185 ive been doing everything redgrail said, and i cant stress enough how much compound exercises can do for you, as well as running and eating healthy (6 small meals a day, lots of water) and getting good rest, and im begining to see results at around a month in.
As far the protein, i take a protein shake every morning right when i wake up to stop the break down of muscle, and i also take one after i work out (3X a week)
running is a great stress release though, and i look forward to my workouts everyday whether it be at the gym or if its a running day going on a nice run in the evenings
you hafta really have the right attitude going about changing your normal routine, and it may be hard at first but once you get things rolling and keep up with it youll be good man
fing02[1].gif

btw try and find someone to help you at the gym, maybe a friend who works out, and have them teach you the correct form, i cannot stress this enough! If you can, work out with that person so you can push each other to work hard and so you can get a feel of how weightlifting works
smile.gif

Patrician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by redgrail
You're overthinking it.
3. Figure out how much you eat in terms of calories. Start eating around 500 cal below that. More calories OUT than IN - that is the only way to lose weight.4. Once you start losing some weight and gaining some muscle, then you can start thinking about supplementation and advanced training programs.

+1

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MonkeyFresh
i take a protein shake every morning right when i wake up to stop the break down of muscle
this. Can someone tell me about this?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Diet is the most important aspect if you want to lose weight. Prepare yourself for a change in lifestyle . . . .

I have been successful lately with this regimen:

WORKOUT:

Work out 4-5 times per week: chest/legs/back/shoulders/arms

Try to do more compound exercises, i.e., exercises that use more than one body part/muscle group. This is a bit hard on the arm day, but bench press, dips, squats, deadlifts, and exercises like that fit the bill.

Before you start, hire a trainer for one measley hour to show you how to squat and deadlift correctly.

Do abs every day

Work fast i.e. do not rest between exercises more than 30 seconds. Lift at normal speed however.

DIET:

Try to get at least 40% of your daily intake in protien, 30 carbs, 30 fat. Stay away from saturated fat.

No sugars, refined or starchy carbs (non-whole wheat bread, white rice, potatos, etc.) execpt immediately after a workout.

Lots of complex carbs (primarily veggies), fruit is OK too but stay away from high-glycemic fruits. Apples are good.

Don't drink your calories - water, unsweetened tea or if you must, diet soda.

When you sleep you are essentially fasting for 8 hours. Drink a protein shake before bed to give your body something to use while you sleep. Drink one in the morning to tide you over until breakfast or lunch.

Try to eat at least 4 smaller meals per day. Eat sensibly and try to reduce your portions a bit - just leave a little on your plate. At first it will be hard, after a week it gets easy.

Don't worry about counting calories. The "more calories out than in" idea of weight loss is correct in concept, sort of, but people pay too much attention to it. If you eat 1000's more calories than you need, whether you are eating good food or bad, you will gain weight. However, you can eat more than your daily caloric need as calculated on some website and lose weight. For example, people can eat all sorts of high calorie meat an lose weight on an Atkins diet. Your body does not use all food calories in the same way, and is not 100% efficient - it doesn't use all of the calories you ingest. What you crap out has caloric value (if you burn it you will get energy) which has to come from somewhere. Some calories pass through you, some are burned, some are stored in fat cells. To grossly oversimplify, the key to fat storage seems to be insulin, and insulin level spikes when you eat refined carbs. If you eat refined carbs and a lot of calories at the same time you are going to store calories in fat cells, and you will get fat.

ToruOkada

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bimmernate
Not much more to add. I would say be sure to drink a protein shake but dont doctor it up with ice cream and other crap.
tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought protein was for putting on weight..

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i lost 20 lbs last year, from 185 to 165 and 18% body fat to 8% with crossfit and 30 mins of cardio a day

my best friend during this was this shake:

12 oz. 2% milk
2 scoops of muscle milk
handful frozen blueberries
1/2 banana
big scoop of almond butter

i still drink this shake after each workout. i've added a scoop of creatine and have cut back on cardio.

the real kicker was switching my cardio routine to 3-4 spin classes per week. i burned through a lot of fat very quickly with those.

metal_wear

Reaction score
I think that at start you should not think about vitamins and proteins, focus on losing weight first then on the proteins. If you start taking the proteinst hen it will make your body grow bigger and then difficult to lose weight! Try this!

Mauby

Reaction score
Pull-ups and dips, my man. Add those 2 exercises to all the above advice these guys have already given you. Can't do them? Try negative pull-ups & negative dips until you can. Eat sensibly, cardio, lift, 8-hrs sleep per night. Still not losing weight after a few months of all that? See your doc, it may be glandular.

sydneycentric

Reaction score
Yeah, its all about a low-GI diet. No eating after 8 pm! Dried fruit and nuts in between meals aswell!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop drinking soda

Cut out bread and other starches-potatoes, french fries, beer

Cut out desserts

you might try eating two soft boiled eggs each morning, with no orange juice (it's loaded with carbs)

Eat lots veggies and protein. There are lots of options from salmon, tuna, flavored chicken sausages, cheese, etc.

Find very active exercises that you enjoy, that really push your upper leg muscles and butt and make you gulp air like basketball or bicycling. Swimming is awesome too. Just lifting weights or even a steady treadmill won't do it. You want to sweat and develop your cardio abilities, that is when you burn fat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads