• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing things

free man

Reaction score
So today I lost a pretty much brand new pair of Persol sunglasses that I was really starting to like. This is incredibly annoying, not only because I got an unbelievable deal on them from our very own AngelicBoris, but now I have to replace them. Ugh. They fell out of my pocket on the train and I only realized they had fallen after I changed trains. What a terrible way to finish off a night. What are some of your stories about losing things (will help me feel better), or perhaps some amazing recovery stories instead?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
frown.gif

Once, very recently after I had met my future girlfriend of 3 years, and planned a future date at an indeterminate time and place, I lost my cellphone with her contact information. I luckily bumped into a friend of a friend who knew her, and got it back again.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bummer.

Just the other day I had my wallet stolen (on thanksgiving actually). The next day I got a call that all of my cards had turned up in a vacant lot nearby... and a park ranger looked me up on facebook and was able to track me down and call me, so that was nice. But even though all was there, the only thing missing was my Prada card case. I was bummed, but in a relieved 'oh well' kind of way.

free man

Reaction score
I know that as soon as I replace them I will forget about the incident, but unfortunately, my bank accounts won't
plain.gif

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by free man
So today I lost a pretty much brand new pair of Persol sunglasses that I was really starting to like. This is incredibly annoying, not only because I got an unbelievable deal on them from our very own AngelicBoris, but now I have to replace them. Ugh. They fell out of my pocket on the train and I only realized they had fallen after I changed trains. What a terrible way to finish off a night. What are some of your stories about losing things (will help me feel better), or perhaps some amazing recovery stories instead?

Sunglasses in city are for dorks so it is a good news.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not clothing related but i might as well post:

i once went on a whole afternoon photo shoot with just one camera (i usually carry at least 2)...long story short, at the end of the day everyone was on canoes and when we were docking on a rocky beach our canoe tipped and my camera got wet. all my photos got erased from my SD card and i was sad that i just lost many beautiful pictures, wasted a whole afternoon, and on top of that would not be paid now. however when i got home that evening, my SD card very literally (and magically) regained all of its photos back for no apparent reason!!! happy ending after all for me.

sorry for your loss though.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ That will happen sometimes when things dry up. Thank goodness.

aleeboy

Reaction score
On a previous trip to Singapore, I lost my new phone (one of those expensive Nokias) and my then new Persol sunglasses.

If I think back at the things I've lost or had stolen, they are:
- Wallet: my first expensive Italian wallet
- LV bag
- Montblanc Pen
- Designer specs
- Digital camera

I think that's about it.

Thanks for bringing back the pain!

Canberraman

Reaction score
I can't seem to keep a watch. In the past year I've lost a Seiko and a Tissot - after about three weeks. I give up.
On the positive side these losses have kept me from satisfying the urges which result from viewing the watch Appreciation threads.
laugh.gif

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obviously the people that are more pathological in this field have not stepped up yet - or I really am an extreme case.

This is the main reason why I find the fact that good accessories are one of the most important elements of a man's style to be especially grating.

In the last five years, I have lost:

two pairs of three-hundred dollar glasses
my favorite made in Sicily velvet flat cap
a camelhair Yves Saint Laurent sport coat
at least two nice cashmere scarves
another custom-made flat cap
a wool argyle sweater
basically every pair of leather gloves I've owned
a checked Paul Smith shirt - I think the dry cleaner must have made it into pocket squares
the diamond stud from my platinum money clip (this can be blamed on the producer, I hope)
My socks that still have their mate are a very limited breed
Somehow all of my metal collar stays - I had over ten pairs

surprisingly no ties come to mind, but I'm sure there was at least one. I always lose my keys, though I've amazingly never lost my credit card. I also just losted the black visor type thing from the front of my camera.

I've gotten to the point where I just cannot bring myself to spend serious money on glasses, hats, gloves, scarves, or anything that doesn't attach pretty well to the body. I also try to avoid dry-cleaning things. I don't seem to lose pants and shoes. Needless to say I don't even bother with watches and I have to tell people to stop buying me cufflinks.

So don't feel bad. When I buy something, I expect it to be gone soon. Everything in life seems utterly transitory.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lost my wedding ring twice, but I was lucky enough to find them again everytime. My wife told me to just stop wearing them.
smile.gif

Berticus

Reaction score
I'm usually extremely good at keeping things (hadn't lost a single thing), but somehow this year was different. First I lost a Lamy St pen, then my Cross Tech3, and then finally my Cross Townsend. I guess this year my pens just hate me. The Lamy was lost in a taxi, the others were lost in a bus.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I honestly can't recall losing things in the last 10 or 15 years. Well, other than all the money my ex- pissed away...
frown.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Obviously the people that are more pathological in this field have not stepped up yet - or I really am an extreme case.

This is the main reason why I find the fact that good accessories are one of the most important elements of a man's style to be especially grating.

In the last five years, I have lost:

two pairs of three-hundred dollar glasses
my favorite made in Sicily velvet flat cap
a camelhair Yves Saint Laurent sport coat
at least two nice cashmere scarves
another custom-made flat cap
a wool argyle sweater
basically every pair of leather gloves I've owned
a checked Paul Smith shirt - I think the dry cleaner must have made it into pocket squares
the diamond stud from my platinum money clip (this can be blamed on the producer, I hope)
My socks that still have their mate are a very limited breed
Somehow all of my metal collar stays - I had over ten pairs

surprisingly no ties come to mind, but I'm sure there was at least one. I always lose my keys, though I've amazingly never lost my credit card. I also just losted the black visor type thing from the front of my camera.

I've gotten to the point where I just cannot bring myself to spend serious money on glasses, hats, gloves, scarves, or anything that doesn't attach pretty well to the body. I also try to avoid dry-cleaning things. I don't seem to lose pants and shoes. Needless to say I don't even bother with watches and I have to tell people to stop buying me cufflinks.

So don't feel bad. When I buy something, I expect it to be gone soon. Everything in life seems utterly transitory.

Wow- I think you need to start tying things to you. That's off the charts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads