• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Losing things

free man

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
So today I lost a pretty much brand new pair of Persol sunglasses that I was really starting to like. This is incredibly annoying, not only because I got an unbelievable deal on them from our very own AngelicBoris, but now I have to replace them. Ugh. They fell out of my pocket on the train and I only realized they had fallen after I changed trains. What a terrible way to finish off a night. What are some of your stories about losing things (will help me feel better), or perhaps some amazing recovery stories instead?
 

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
3,000
Reaction score
0
Sorry to hear that.


Once, very recently after I had met my future girlfriend of 3 years, and planned a future date at an indeterminate time and place, I lost my cellphone with her contact information. I luckily bumped into a friend of a friend who knew her, and got it back again.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
Bummer.

Just the other day I had my wallet stolen (on thanksgiving actually). The next day I got a call that all of my cards had turned up in a vacant lot nearby... and a park ranger looked me up on facebook and was able to track me down and call me, so that was nice. But even though all was there, the only thing missing was my Prada card case. I was bummed, but in a relieved 'oh well' kind of way.
 

free man

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
I know that as soon as I replace them I will forget about the incident, but unfortunately, my bank accounts won't
 

manouche

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
867
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by free man
So today I lost a pretty much brand new pair of Persol sunglasses that I was really starting to like. This is incredibly annoying, not only because I got an unbelievable deal on them from our very own AngelicBoris, but now I have to replace them. Ugh. They fell out of my pocket on the train and I only realized they had fallen after I changed trains. What a terrible way to finish off a night. What are some of your stories about losing things (will help me feel better), or perhaps some amazing recovery stories instead?

Sunglasses in city are for dorks so it is a good news.
 

free man

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2008
Messages
265
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by manouche
Sunglasses in city are for dorks so it is a good news.

Don't you have a few more Rolexs to buy?
 

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2006
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
2
not clothing related but i might as well post:

i once went on a whole afternoon photo shoot with just one camera (i usually carry at least 2)...long story short, at the end of the day everyone was on canoes and when we were docking on a rocky beach our canoe tipped and my camera got wet. all my photos got erased from my SD card and i was sad that i just lost many beautiful pictures, wasted a whole afternoon, and on top of that would not be paid now. however when i got home that evening, my SD card very literally (and magically) regained all of its photos back for no apparent reason!!! happy ending after all for me.

sorry for your loss though.
 

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,209
Reaction score
0
^^^ That will happen sometimes when things dry up. Thank goodness.
 

aleeboy

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2007
Messages
524
Reaction score
1
On a previous trip to Singapore, I lost my new phone (one of those expensive Nokias) and my then new Persol sunglasses.

If I think back at the things I've lost or had stolen, they are:
- Wallet: my first expensive Italian wallet
- LV bag
- Montblanc Pen
- Designer specs
- Digital camera

I think that's about it.

Thanks for bringing back the pain!
 

Canberraman

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
63
Reaction score
4
I can't seem to keep a watch. In the past year I've lost a Seiko and a Tissot - after about three weeks. I give up.
On the positive side these losses have kept me from satisfying the urges which result from viewing the watch porn threads.
 

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
13
Obviously the people that are more pathological in this field have not stepped up yet - or I really am an extreme case.

This is the main reason why I find the fact that good accessories are one of the most important elements of a man's style to be especially grating.

In the last five years, I have lost:

two pairs of three-hundred dollar glasses
my favorite made in Sicily velvet flat cap
a camelhair Yves Saint Laurent sport coat
at least two nice cashmere scarves
another custom-made flat cap
a wool argyle sweater
basically every pair of leather gloves I've owned
a checked Paul Smith shirt - I think the dry cleaner must have made it into pocket squares
the diamond stud from my platinum money clip (this can be blamed on the producer, I hope)
My socks that still have their mate are a very limited breed
Somehow all of my metal collar stays - I had over ten pairs

surprisingly no ties come to mind, but I'm sure there was at least one. I always lose my keys, though I've amazingly never lost my credit card. I also just losted the black visor type thing from the front of my camera.

I've gotten to the point where I just cannot bring myself to spend serious money on glasses, hats, gloves, scarves, or anything that doesn't attach pretty well to the body. I also try to avoid dry-cleaning things. I don't seem to lose pants and shoes. Needless to say I don't even bother with watches and I have to tell people to stop buying me cufflinks.

So don't feel bad. When I buy something, I expect it to be gone soon. Everything in life seems utterly transitory.
 

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
21,169
Reaction score
1,750
Lost my wedding ring twice, but I was lucky enough to find them again everytime. My wife told me to just stop wearing them.
 

Berticus

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
283
Reaction score
1
I'm usually extremely good at keeping things (hadn't lost a single thing), but somehow this year was different. First I lost a Lamy St pen, then my Cross Tech3, and then finally my Cross Townsend. I guess this year my pens just hate me. The Lamy was lost in a taxi, the others were lost in a bus.
 

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 14, 2005
Messages
14,516
Reaction score
233
I honestly can't recall losing things in the last 10 or 15 years. Well, other than all the money my ex- pissed away...
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Obviously the people that are more pathological in this field have not stepped up yet - or I really am an extreme case.

This is the main reason why I find the fact that good accessories are one of the most important elements of a man's style to be especially grating.

In the last five years, I have lost:

two pairs of three-hundred dollar glasses
my favorite made in Sicily velvet flat cap
a camelhair Yves Saint Laurent sport coat
at least two nice cashmere scarves
another custom-made flat cap
a wool argyle sweater
basically every pair of leather gloves I've owned
a checked Paul Smith shirt - I think the dry cleaner must have made it into pocket squares
the diamond stud from my platinum money clip (this can be blamed on the producer, I hope)
My socks that still have their mate are a very limited breed
Somehow all of my metal collar stays - I had over ten pairs

surprisingly no ties come to mind, but I'm sure there was at least one. I always lose my keys, though I've amazingly never lost my credit card. I also just losted the black visor type thing from the front of my camera.

I've gotten to the point where I just cannot bring myself to spend serious money on glasses, hats, gloves, scarves, or anything that doesn't attach pretty well to the body. I also try to avoid dry-cleaning things. I don't seem to lose pants and shoes. Needless to say I don't even bother with watches and I have to tell people to stop buying me cufflinks.

So don't feel bad. When I buy something, I expect it to be gone soon. Everything in life seems utterly transitory.


Wow- I think you need to start tying things to you. That's off the charts.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,209
Messages
9,230,330
Members
193,757
Latest member
onsight
Top