• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing the last bit of the tummy fat ring

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
I know I'm treading dangerously here after my pec growth post, and I know this is the most often-asked weight loss question, but here goes anyway ....

I have been working out for 18 months now and have made significant gains. I am starting to get a nice shape and have lost about 18 lbs.

I usually jog outside (or something indoors like elliptical or stepping when its too cold) for 30 minutes, 5 times a week, and I lift 3-4 times a week.

But for the last 3 months I have basically stalled when it comes to wait loss. It seems I have lost all there is to lose on every part of my body except the stomach. Trust me, I am thin as a rail everywhere, there's no fat on my face or chin and my skin is taut.

But the spare tire, although it has been reduced significantly over the past year, won't go away. I am eating well, including lots of protein and little fat (basically the Harley Pasternak Five Factor) but no matter what I cannot get this last bit to go. It's even kind of weird-looking now because I have such a flat chest, and then the area just above the belly button arrives, it looks like a little speed bump!

I know most people will say just keep doing cardio and eating healthy. But is there maybe something I can do in the cardio area to speed up fat burn? I know reviews are mixed on intensity training, but maybe I should try that? As of now I just jog at a nice constant pace the whole time.

Also, what are people's thoughts on CLA?

Any advice would be appreciated.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of varying intesity on the cardio and have had success with CLA.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Interval training and high-intensity (as opposed to high-weight) weight training. Now I just need to take my own advice...

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
What Tiger said.... High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)... and yes, the CLA does work, but you have to take it for a month or so before you start seeing any results.

fatherseanfan

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is high-intensity weight training? Assuming it means lifting fast with really short breaks between sets?

Also, can someone link to a site with how to do HIIT. Thanks.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unless you are in very good shape, I would not recommend HIIT for fear of injury.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
unless you are in very good shape, I would not recommend HIIT for fear of injury.

If you've been working out for years and more or less know your limits, I think it's a good idea to use this method for a short period every few months.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some interesting reading on Cortisol, Stress and Body Fat. and The Cortisol-Weight Loss Controversy.

The fat cells in your abdomen are particularly sensitive to high insulin, and are very effective at storing energy - far more so that fat cells you'd find in other areas such as the lower body (i.e. hips, rear end, thighs). Because abdominal fat cells are so close to your digestive organs, and there is an extensive network of blood vessels circulating in the abdominal area, it's even easier for fat cells to store excess glucose there.

Impulse155

Reaction score
sry i didnt read it all and this might have been said but have u tried weighted sit ups? worked for me im down 30+ lbs, 5 inches around stomach/waist and im somewhat toned, trying to get more. Trust me the sit ups are what have done it for me do lots of sit ups and a lower weight to increase the tone, and lots of situps ( but fewer than at a lower weight) at a higher weight to increase the muscle. This worked for me.

keal

Reaction score
It's something a lot of people (including me) don't think about. If you've been dieting and you've lost a lot of weight, you have to eat less and less as your body shrinks. If you used to eat 1200 calories a day and lost weight, you may have to eat 1000 calories a day now to keep losing.

Basically, when you're down to those last 20 pounds (or more) around your belly - and maybe your inner thighs - you've got to eat like a bird to get rid of that fat. You can exercise more times during the day, but cut out your calories at the table and you'll see results a lot faster.

Everything counts. Replace gatorade with water. Eat only vegetables and protein, limit sugary fruits. If you *have* to cheat - for me it would be 2 beers (300 calories) - then hit the gym and do some extra cardio, making sure to burn at least the amount you consumed.

As far as working out goes, be careful about exercising too hard. If you're doing cardio and you're pushing yourself into the anaerobic stage (huffing and puffing) your body won't burn fat as well as if you cruise at an easier pace.

The shapely women in my local gym have a fast and easy formula. Cut all your meals and snacks down to smaller portions, and exercise at a cruising, fat-burning pace. It works for them, and you don't have to worry as much about what you're eating - you just have to eat less
smile.gif

It also works for me, as I'm at about 18% body fat and will be dropping back down to about 10% (I gain weight when I'm not training for marathons) and will do the 'eat less and exercise leisurely' routine.

High-intensity interval training works REALLY well, but the drawback for people who love to workout is that it tempts you into working out harder and harder, sending you into the anaerobic zone, which you don't want when you're dieting
smile.gif

Anyway, good luck with the dieting!

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
You can't target a specific area on your body to loose weight. You are just going to have to cut down on ***** foods.

Kid609

Reaction score
1000 calories a day is unhealthy, and your body essentially "shuts itself down" at such low energy levels, keeping you from burning fat. I have the most ridiculous metabolism in the world, but I owe it to my good diet, which means eating 5 meals a day at a total of 2200-2800 calories give or take.....

When you are cutting, you should stay at 1800-2000 calories, which is still about your basal metabolic rate for the day. As long as you exercise, you should still be in a caloric deficit, while still retaining your metabolism.

You are not cutting, so I recommend 2000-2500 calories/day, along with weighted abdomen exercises to fill out your abdomen with muscle, which seems to me to be the problem right now....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads