• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing My Mind

trentlane669

Reaction score
OK, I'm losing my mind. I have a pair of RRDS that I like, but I really want a lowrise straightleg jean. I got a pair of 5EP straight down resin one wash that I had to sell because the rise was just much too high for my taste (I also wasn't too keen on the lack of a contrasting J-stitch). My problem is my thighs. I'm pretty built; 5'8" and around 165.

The thighs on my RRDS are quite tight even after some stretching (they were skin tight freshly washed). The thighs on the 5EPs were about perfect unstretched (I could handle them tighter since I know they'd stretch some).

My dilemma is this: I want something Japanese. I'm lusting over PBJ XX-005s but I doubt the thighs would be big enough. I'd be interested in 45RPM, too, but I don't think they have anything with a lower rise. Somebody help me please!!!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trentlane669
OK, I'm losing my mind. I have a pair of RRDS that I like, but I really want a lowrise straightleg jean. I got a pair of 5EP straight down resin one wash that I had to sell because the rise was just much too high for my taste (I also wasn't too keen on the lack of a contrasting J-stitch). My problem is my thighs. I'm pretty built; 5'8" and around 165.

The thighs on my RRDS are quite tight even after some stretching (they were skin tight freshly washed). The thighs on the 5EPs were about perfect unstretched (I could handle them tighter since I know they'd stretch some).

My dilemma is this: I want something Japanese. I'm lusting over PBJ XX-005s but I doubt the thighs would be big enough. I'd be interested in 45RPM, too, but I don't think they have anything with a lower rise. Somebody help me please!!!

Umm, RRDS are pretty relaxed jeans in the thighs. If they're skintight on you, then it's doubtful that much from Japan is going to fit you... I have 26" thighs or so with 35" waist, and RRDS are pretty relaxed on me, but SDA-103s are a little tight. I doubt PBJ-XX-005 are going to fit me well in the thighs, and if you find RRDS tight, there's no way you're going to be able to wear PBJ-XX-005 unless you size up.

trentlane669

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Umm, RRDS are pretty relaxed jeans in the thighs. If they're skintight on you, then it's doubtful that much from Japan is going to fit you... I have 26" thighs or so with 35" waist, and RRDS are pretty relaxed on me, but SDA-103s are a little tight. I doubt PBJ-XX-005 are going to fit me well in the thighs, and if you find RRDS tight, there's no way you're going to be able to wear PBJ-XX-005 unless you size up.
That's what I've gathered so far, and it's irritating. I got my RRDS where I could barely button them new, which was probably a bit tighter than I should have. I'd want to wear them a bit relaxed rather than tight, so sizing up some wouldn't be an issue. I figure if I sized up enough to where they fit about right new and wore them with a belt I could avoid stretching in the waist. SDA-103s aren't quite as slim? They're an option, as well. Basically any suggestions on what else to look at would be appreciated. My problem is that I want something slubby and different, but I've had trouble finding something that's lowrise and slubby without being a very slim cut.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's what I've gathered so far, and it's irritating. I got my RRDS where I could barely button them new, which was probably a bit tighter than I should have. I'd want to wear them a bit relaxed rather than tight, so sizing up some wouldn't be an issue. I figure if I sized up enough to where they fit about right new and wore them with a belt I could avoid stretching in the waist. SDA-103s aren't quite as slim? They're an option, as well.
SDA-103 are slimmer than RRDS by far, and were one of the tightest jeans I've owned when I bought them. They are still quite slim, after some stretching although I haven't worn them as much as some of my other jeans. I did buy them one-wash though, so if you buy raw, they won't be as tight until they are washed. I bought one size above my true waist, and they are tight. As I understand, PBJ-XX-005 would be pretty tight due to their very low rise, from right when you get them. Many ppl that have slim thighs are buying their regular size and say they are ball-crushingly tight... so take that as you will. Maybe you would have to buy 1-2 above your true waist to get a good fit in the thighs. You may want to talk to BIG about it. SDA-103s aren't particularly slubby, btw. Also, PBJ makes other cuts besides the XX-005.

trentlane669

Reaction score
SDA-103s aren't particularly slubby, btw. Also, PBJ makes other cuts besides the XX-005.
I figured I would end up having to look in other directions. I had just gotten tired of trying to do my own research and getting no definitive answeres (probably because I wanted to believe they could work) so I figured I'd have somebody else tell me I'm crazy.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I figured I would end up having to look in other directions. I had just gotten tired of trying to do my own research and getting no definitive answeres (probably because I wanted to believe they could work) so I figured I'd have somebody else tell me I'm crazy.

Why not look at AW Cougars, APC Hipsters, or RRL? There are some RRL jeans that have some texture and are made with nice Japanese denim (but you need to make sure you get the right sizing)

trentlane669

Reaction score
Why not look at AW Cougars, APC Hipsters, or RRL? There are some RRL jeans that have some texture and are made with nice Japanese denim (but you need to make sure you get the right sizing)
From what I've seen of the AW and APCs they aren't slubby at all, correct? I haven't seen much of the RRLs though I've seen them mentioned here frequently. What about Rag & Bone RB11 (I know they aren't slubby I think I'm just going to have to give up on that unless I can get somewhere to try them on), if I were to get my actual size do you think they'd have a comparable amount of room in the thigh as my RRDS? (for as much time as I've spent browsing here and SuFu and searching all these jeans, I don't think I've learned nearly as much as I should've)

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From what I've seen of the AW and APCs they aren't slubby at all, correct? I haven't seen much of the RRLs though I've seen them mentioned here frequently.

APC's weave isn't slubby in the same sense as PBJ or something like that, but it isn't as smooth as Nudie in my experience. They are tightly woven and have some texture (and are really stiff) RRLs have some texture although they aren't super slubby. Again, sizing is an issue with them, but they are fantastic jeans.

AWs are very dark and are woven fairly smoothly, yes.

However, you mentioned SDA-103s and I think those jeans share the same characteristics as the ones you've mentioned.

What about Rag & Bone RB11 (I know they aren't slubby I think I'm just going to have to give up on that unless I can get somewhere to try them on), if I were to get my actual size do you think they'd have a comparable amount of room in the thigh as my RRDS?
Yes, most likely. I believe the RB11 is similar to my first generation RB6, and it isn't overly tight in the thighs, RRDS is a fair comparison.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rise on the Samurai S5000VX and S5000BK is only half an inch higher than the XX-005. That's probably the lowest you're gonna get with a reasonable amount of slub (oni is about an inch higher than the S5000VX, PBJ XX-003/006 is about a 0.5-0.75 inch higher than the SS5000VX). But the S5000VX is considered a relatively slim cut.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads