• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing hair

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Over the past 6-months or so I've noticed that my shower drain is getting clogged with hair every few days and I have to clean it so the water will drain.

My hairline doesn't seem to have receded any more than it was, although it seems a little thinner in the front.

Could this much hair be coming from the rest of my body, chest, arms, legs, etc. or do I just need to start getting ready to deal with impending baldness?

If it matters, my paternal side has good hair although it recedes, my maternal grandfather was bald.

Does stress really cause hair loss? What about wearing hats? Those have both increased greatly being here in California by myself.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me about 12 years ago. All of a sudden my shower drain was always clogged with hair. At the time I got really annoyed with my roommate about it; I literally hadn't even considered the possibility that the hair was mine! From that point on, my hairline steadily receded for about 8 years, starting at the front and moving back. (Which is what receding means, I guess.)

FWIW, I was under an enormous amount of stress at the time. I don't know if that contributed, but I do know that when the stress decreased, I didn't get my hair back!

I hope things turn out better in your case. Although to be honest, I do enjoy not having to style my hair anymore.

Scooba

Reaction score
Ask your doctor for Propecia. It's expensive and usually lowers a guy's sex drive, but it will stop you from losing more hair (it doesn't grow back the hair you have already lost). From what I have heard, I believe the hair loss gene comes from the maternal side.

thecentennial

Reaction score
As mentioned above, propecia is about the only proven (convenrient) remedy for male pattern baldness.

Minoxidil is too messy.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jennykang
The funny thing about body hair is... as you age, hair becomes thicker and stronger everywhere except on the scalp. The hairs blocking your shower drain are mostly scalp hair.

Great, thanks
musicboohoo[1].gif

Scooba

Reaction score
yes, take comfort that as you age, the hair on your back and in your ears will grow lush and strong
teacha.gif

Handcuffed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take advantage of the opportunity to purchase some wonderful new hats!!

robbz9206

Reaction score
you have to commit and make it look awesome eventually. balding is not usually something people see as a good thing but some of the coolest people i know have had that happen.

michaell222

Reaction score
Look into taking these vitamins/supplements: Biotin, Krill Oil, MSM, Zinc, Fibroboost

Definitely start using rogaine and propecia as soon as you can - you will thank yourself for starting as early as possible

Revita and Nizoral are also great shampoos that can help

You want as many soldiers on your side helping you fight the battle...

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaell222
Definitely start using rogaine and propecia as soon as you can - you will thank yourself for starting as early as possible ...

But, if he ever stops, he will lose ALL that hair at once.
I think I'd prefer to lose it gradually, than for people to think I've developed some terminal illness overnight.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only four things have been proven to prevent/slow/regrow hair loss.

-Rogain
-Propecia
-Nizorol shampoo
-Laser hair brush(Seriously, ask the FDA)

All these people talking about zinc. omega-3s ect have no idea what they are talking about. And most who take Propecia do NOT have any kind of sexual dysfunction. Those very few who do go back to their old selves once they stop taking the drug.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I'm slowly going through pretty significant hair loss, myself. Nearly everytime I run my hand through my hair, I pull out a strand or two, and it tends to make a mess on my pillow, and sometimes even on the desk where I'm working. Since I still have a full head of hair (but a high hairline), I was thinking of going on some sort of medication or hair loss treatment to try and retain what I have now - I'd like to have a lower hair line but it's certainly manageable the way it is.

Everyone on my father's side has their hair, but similarly to the OP, my grandfather on my mother's side went bald (and quite young, at that).

Maybe I'll start using Nizorol shampoo every few days and see if that helps. I'd like to avoid Rogaine/Propecia for as long as I can - expensive, and I'd like to be able to stop the treatment without severe consequences.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nizoral doesn't do anything to actually halt or reverse hair loss. It may thicken the hair, thus creating the illusion of a reversal or hair loss, but that's it.

Rogaine and Propecia are the only two treatments proven to actually regrow hair. The former is better at regrowing hair, while the latter either stops hair loss or radically slows it down. Ultimately, it's best to use both in conjunction with the other.

That said, the side effects of either treatment are wildly overstated. Do some research and you'll realize that the horror stories, while out there, are the proverbial drop in a bucket of water.

There are generic iterations of both treatments out there, so I wouldn't worry too much about cost. You can get Kirkland Minox (which contains the key ingredient that makes Rogaine effective) on eBay at a cost of about $4/month. There's also generic forms of Propecia out there. Some are online pharmacies overseas, which sound sketchy, but again, are shown to be legit most of the time if you do some research. If you've got a doctor who's cool, you can get him to give you a prescription for Proscar, which contains the active ingredient that makes Propecia effective. And since it comes in 5mg pills, you can buy a pill splitter and stretch a 30-day prescription out to four+ months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics