• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing hair

harrisgarryas

Reaction score
I straighten my hair but i doesn't stay straight. My hair is just a tad above shoulders, only because i did not like the layers in my hir when i had gotten it cut that way and bought a straightener so i could flip the ends or just straigten it. So i got it cut to the very first layer in my hair. I'm growing it out again to maybe try layers again. What can i do to keep my hair straighter longer? Is it the straightener or is it my hair?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
We can get a man on the moon but can't cure baldness WTF

They have stuff you can put on your eye lashes now to grow them out really fast...but they can't cure baldness.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
They have stuff you can put on your eye lashes now to grow them out really fast...but they can't cure baldness.

Lashee, or something like that.

First studies show it works for hair too. It has a lot of people very hopeful.

The only problems are, the whole testing process is always very long, and the stuff is outrageously expensive for a small vial.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elmore
unfortunately that's not always the case. check out the propeciahelp forum and you will see people who have had their lives ruined after very minor use. clearly this is not always the case, but there are many documented cases which have resulted in permanent erectile disfunction amongst other SE's. if you look on propeciahelp there's a ton of negative experiences. MERKE (the drug company that license it) have not got much of a consience it seems.

the severe negative SE's that last after discontinueing use may be rare, but they certainly do occur. a lot of people with mild SE's say they have noticed a decrease in their sex drive and get more problems maintaining erection. that effect is common, and for my money that would put me off even if it was a mild case.

if you're fine on it, then great, you're one of the lucky ones, but having read that site i'm glad i never touched the stuff.

This is nothing without numbers; like the people terrified of lasik because of the .000001% that have serious problems.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
We can get a man on the moon but can't cure baldness WTF

The problem is all we are doing at the moment is treating baldness when it happens. To get a real solution we must find a cure to prevent baldness completely before it even happens (i.e. getting a shot when you're an infant to prevent baldness lol).

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
This is nothing without numbers; like the people terrified of lasik because of the .000001% that have serious problems.

I have noticed some balding as well, and was thinking about taking the this drug, but after reading through the website, I would'nt even take the chance, even if its a small chance, you never know how your body is going to react to the drug, I would rather be bald as a bowling ball then not be able to get it up or have mental issues.... ill use the foam thank you, it may even be covered. Plus its not like its a one time surgery, its taking pills everyday for the rest of your life.....

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed some balding as well, and was thinking about taking the this drug, but after reading through the website, I would'nt even take the chance, even if its a small chance, you never know how your body is going to react to the drug, I would rather be bald as a bowling ball then not be able to get it up or have mental issues.... ill use the foam thank you, it may even be covered. Plus its not like its a one time surgery, its taking pills everyday for the rest of your life.....

Statistically you have a higher chance of being in a fatal car accident than having that happen to you. And besides, you should be taking a vitamin in the morning anyways so what's the difference between taking one and two pills?

I just wish I didn't have to go to my doc to get a cheap prescription. I'd love to hear where that dude got a 1 year supply for $30. The other site listed in the other thread I started on Propecia has a 1 month supply for $30, that is too expensive for me but I'd really like to not have to go to the doc about this.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
Statistically you have a higher chance of being in a fatal car accident than having that happen to you. And besides, you should be taking a vitamin in the morning anyways so what's the difference between taking one and two pills?

I just wish I didn't have to go to my doc to get a cheap prescription. I'd love to hear where that dude got a 1 year supply for $30. The other site listed in the other thread I started on Propecia has a 1 month supply for $30, that is too expensive for me but I'd really like to not have to go to the doc about this.

Its quite clear you dont understand what this drug is.... do your research before taking it, the fact that you compare propecia and a vitamin shows your lack of understanding, do some extensive research on what the drug actually does (blocks something natural), hear what the doctors have to say (I would really see your doctor about this, alot wont perscribe it), and read up on what people have experienced, and ask yourself is it really worth the risk however "low" it is to save a bit of hair? Just except it and deal with it, how dumb would you feel if you still bald, cant get it up, and are a shell of your past self? I think we all know the answer...

Daberk

Reaction score
Since I don't know your age, I wouldn't rule out a medical exam to check for underlying conditions. My experience is that if it's gonna go it's gonna go. I personally decided early on not to try combovers, coverups, etc., and as I aged I just cut it closer and closer til it's now just a buzzcut.
I would avoid any kinds of drug applications. Good luck.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daberk
Since I don't know your age, I wouldn't rule out a medical exam to check for underlying conditions. My experience is that if it's gonna go it's gonna go. I personally decided early on not to try combovers, coverups, etc., and as I aged I just cut it closer and closer til it's now just a buzzcut.
I would avoid any kinds of drug applications. Good luck.

+1

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDN1989
Its quite clear you dont understand what this drug is.... do your research before taking it, the fact that you compare propecia and a vitamin shows your lack of understanding, do some extensive research on what the drug actually does (blocks something natural), hear what the doctors have to say (I would really see your doctor about this, alot wont perscribe it), and read up on what people have experienced, and ask yourself is it really worth the risk however "low" it is to save a bit of hair? Just except it and deal with it, how dumb would you feel if you still bald, cant get it up, and are a shell of your past self? I think we all know the answer...

All 4 posts you've made are about how evil Fin is, it's obvious that you signed up just to talk about it.

I was comparing taking one pill of Fin a day to taking one multi a day, as in taking a pill a day is not a big deal. I obviously wasn't comparing their effects.

People like you blow the rare side effects way out of proportion.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
All 4 posts you've made are about how evil Fin is, it's obvious that you signed up just to talk about it.

I was comparing taking one pill of Fin a day to taking one multi a day, as in taking a pill a day is not a big deal. I obviously wasn't comparing their effects.

People like you blow the rare side effects way out of proportion.

I signed up because I'm losing my hair too, and was going to take Fin, compaing taking one pill of Fin a day to taking on multi a day, as in taking a pill a day is not a big deal makes zero sense... even If I thought Fin was the best thing In the world, that is still a misguided statement, and the "rare" side effects are not blown way out of proportion, the study was done by the company who makes the pills and the results where not accurate, again if you actually did your research you would see this, and by research I dont mean Wiki...

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDN1989
and the "rare" side effects are not blown way out of proportion, the study was done by the company who makes the pills and the results where not accurate, again if you actually did your research you would see this, and by research I dont mean Wiki...

Enlighten us.

CDN1989

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Enlighten us.

Dr. Alan Jacobs, MD - Confirmation of persistent side effects, Post-Finasteride Syndrome, potential treatments & causes

July 2010

Dr. Alan Jacobs MD (neuroendocrinologist) confirms persistent Finasteride side effects, clinical evaluation of the Post-Finasteride Syndrome, some treatment options and possible causes for the condition.

· A Neuroendocrine Approach To Finasteride Side Effects In Men

· The Plot Thickens, Along With The Hair, When You Mess With Dihydrotestosterone

· A Proposed Mechanism For Prolonged Sexual Side Effects From Finasteride

Selected excerpts:

· I have recently seen an increasing number of men who have developed significant degrees of clinical hypogonadism - low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, reduced sexual sensations and listlessness, fatigue and/or "brain fog" - while either taking finasteride or after stopping the medication, even long after stopping it.

· A considerable number of men have intolerable and sometimes persistent side effects from the medicine. The occurrence of these symptoms in the setting of being on, or even after stopping, the medicine presents a compelling neuroendocrine problem

·
Several young men seen for hypogonadism (low libido, erectile dysfunction, low energy, etc) after using finasteride have been found to have low-normal levels of bio-available testosterone and LH.

· This leads to the question of whether partial androgen resistance is at play.

· When a man takes finasteride to block DHT and save his hair, he is likely unaware of the complexity of this hormone's actions involving sexual behavior, stress responses, cognition and more.

· If testosterone is low and LH and FSH are low or even normal, then the problem is "upstairs" either in the pituitary gland or in higher brain centers that control hormones

· If high normal levels of testosterone, combined with low estrogen levels, does not relieve the hypogonadal symptoms, then the possibility that the man has some resistance to testosterone must be considered

· Other brain hormones can be effected by finasteride. These are called neurosteroids and their decline can bring anxiety and depression. These neurosteroids cannot yet be measured commercially with blood tests

A systematic neuroendocrine approach to this problem should shed light on the cause in a majority of cases and bring relief

LONG TERM SIDE EFFECTS OFFICIAL

January 2009

A special investigation of Propecia led by the Swedish Medical Products Agency has resulted in changes to the Prescription Information for Propecia:

Investigation of Propecia by Swedish MPA (Link is in Swedish for English information see link at the end of this article.)

Among the most important changes are:

Under "Special Warnings and Precautions for Use ", pg. 2, section 4.4:

"Long-term data on fertility in humans are lacking, and specific studies in subfertile men have not been conducted. The male patients who were planning to father a child were initially excluded from clinical trials. Although, animal studies did not show relevant negative effects on fertility, spontaneous reports of infertility and /or poor seminal quality were received post-marketing..."

"Breast cancer has been reported in men taking finasteride 1 mg during the post-marketing period.

Under "Undesirable Side Effects", pg. 3, section 4.8:

"reported in post-marketing use: persistence of erectile dysfunction after discontinuation of treatment with PROPECIA; male breast cancer"

The full updated Sweden/Europe English Propecia information for user is here:

http://www.lakemedelsverket.se/SPC_P...blet%20ENG.doc

Your Welcome
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads