• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing hair

Mblova

Reaction score
Nioxin?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's not a medical problem, let it go.

Most of these remedies are in vain, or won't make much of a difference.

Maybe you've got a good looking dome under that thinning cover.

I stated losing my hair decades ago & now it's gone.

I'm fine with it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
Nioxin?

Wait, I'm marsupialed. I was thinking of Nioxin. I'm just so used to seeing people cite using it when treating hair loss.

I use Nizoral and it's definitely eliminated excess sebum from my scalp.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
Ugh, my sympathies are with the OP. I am losing my hair strand by strand. I tried propecia but it had a significant impact on my libido, which I didn't think would be a big problem until it struck. It seems like this side effect is more common than doctors imply.

I use rogaine at this point. I have no hope of ever having a full head of hair again, but maintaining what I have foe as long as possible would be nice. It just sucks that I have gone from being someone who sported longer hair styles to someone who looks best with his hair short and neat, which looks a bit juvenile and militaristic and not very dapper at all, but what can one do? Rogaine is a very doable treatment and while you are advised to apply it twice daily, the half-life of minoxidil is 22 hours and the doctor I spoke with argued that application of 5% minoxidil once per day is sufficient. Here in the UK rogaine (or regaine as it is called here) costs a fortune so I can't afford applying more than once per day even if I wanted to...

Best of luck and again, my sympathies...
musicboohoo[1].gif

privateer

Reaction score
Some of the advice that has been dispensed here is interesting. I used Propecia for about 1.5 years straight, before I stopped. As someone mentioned above it lowered my sex drive which I was extremely unhappy about. I stopped using it recently and my sex drive has increased.

Per my physician (internal medicine), Propecia is the ONLY thing that is proven for hair loss. The way he said to view it, is that it will not regrow your hair, but prevent future loss. If you get regrowth, its a bonus and you're lucky. Check on Propecia's website to see where it effects the hair growth also. I'm losing a bit of hair which has given me a widows peak as opposed to balding on the crown or pushing my hairline back evenly. If you stop taking Propecia, you will cease with the benefits.

This is the medical advice that was dispensed to me by my physician. If you live outside the US, your medical options might be different. Just another data point...

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just roll with it. spend money on other **** that doesn't kill yer bonar.

OakCreekHitter

Reaction score
The genes for hair loss are on the X chromosome....so they come from your MOTHER's side.
So if your mom's family has a history of hair loss, you may have inherited the gene.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Nioxin worked for me, but I may have been losing hair due to stress with a family illness.

But it does work in some instances.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OakCreekHitter
The genes for hair loss are on the X chromosome....so they come from your MOTHER's side. So if your mom's family has a history of hair loss, you may have inherited the gene.
This is only partially true. There are multiple genes that can cause hair loss and most of them are not passed through x chromosome.
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
Nioxin worked for me, but I may have been losing hair due to stress with a family illness.
What you are talking about is telogen effluvium, hair loss is all over (rather than a male pattern) and is reversible since new hair will grow in place of the fallen ones.
Originally Posted by Bradford
Over the past 6-months or so I've noticed that my shower drain is getting clogged with hair every few days and I have to clean it so the water will drain. My hairline doesn't seem to have receded any more than it was, although it seems a little thinner in the front. Could this much hair be coming from the rest of my body, chest, arms, legs, etc. or do I just need to start getting ready to deal with impending baldness? If it matters, my paternal side has good hair although it recedes, my maternal grandfather was bald. Does stress really cause hair loss? What about wearing hats? Those have both increased greatly being here in California by myself.
Wearing hats does not cause hair loss. Extreme stress can cause telogen effluvium which will cause temporary hair loss. But it requires a true mental or physical shock, not daily commute stress and the like.

makushin

Reaction score
Male pattern baldness is not caused by stress. It is caused because of genetics where there is increased dihydrotestosterone receptor binding at the hair follicle which eventually kills it. That is all there is too it. The only legitimate treatment for this is finesteride/propecia, which inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. If you look at the clinical trials, it really works. Most people that use it have no side effects whatsoever. As an added bonus, finesteride will prevent the benign prostate hyperplasia that all older men get, which makes it difficult to piss.

If genes are not in your favor and you are not willing to try finasteride, you will not win this battle with infomerical and homeopathic products, dont kid yourself.

privateer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makushin
Male pattern baldness is not caused by stress. It is caused because of genetics where there is increased dihydrotestosterone receptor binding at the hair follicle which eventually kills it. That is all there is too it. The only legitimate treatment for this is finesteride/propecia, which inhibits the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. If you look at the clinical trials, it really works. Most people that use it have no side effects whatsoever. As an added bonus, finesteride will prevent the benign prostate hyperplasia that all older men get, which makes it difficult to piss.

If genes are not in your favor and you are not willing to try finasteride, you will not win this battle with infomerical and homeopathic products, dont kid yourself.

+1

Also when you stop taking finesteride, the effects of it leave your system, so you can't stop taking it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads