• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Losing belly fat

JesseLivermore

Reaction score
You would be a great candidate for Intermittent Fasting. It will help you a great deal. Go to leangains.com and see if would interest you at all. But I really believe that it would be nearly perfect for someone like you.

And yes, I would do cardio any chance you get. First thing in the AM on an empty stomach would be ideal, however.

Doing both of the aforementioned will get you really close to your goal. It will also help you immensely with avoiding the dreaded skinny-fat look, which many end up looking like after months of a severe caloric deficit.

Last edited:

chet31

Reaction score
4 months = 17 weeks = 2 pounds/week. You need to run a 1,000 calorie deficit per day. If you can do it, you'll lose 34 pounds in 17 weeks. You work 100 hours per week, so you won't be able to exercise it off, you'll have to diet it off. Ideally, you would do both, but if you had to choose between the two, dieting would be the choice to lose weight fast anyway. I find that staying busy is the best way to keep my mind off of hunger, you've got that covered in spades. Also, higher protein, lower carb food will keep your insulin from spiking and keep you from getting crazy hungry.

If you pull this off, you will get very irritated that the belly fat is the last to go. But it will go. I take it you have an office job, i.e. you don't do heavy physical labor?

misshollygreen

Reaction score
Whether men or women, whether plump or slim, i think we all have stubborn tummy fats! Just like all these hot young things here

It seems to be a campaign for a non-invasive tummy treatment. How receptive are guys to such treatment i wonder?

jacobpitt

Reaction score
I think you must do work hard for you fitness and it is good for you.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, it is not about running just calorie deficit - you should stay away from high GI foods - most notably your terrible breakfast and lunches.

If you're serious about this you should skip breakfast and learn to eat a healthier lunch (if any). Eat vegetables and lean proteins. Eliminate high GI fillers and unnecessary carbs. Once you start eating saladas tons (with legitimate dressings like olive oil, not blue cheese or artificial crap full of sugar) you will actually start to crave greens.

Also, don't spend too much time on cardio - you need a mix with weight training to lose weight.

woodywoodford

Reaction score
Thanks, didn't notice there were a bunch more replies here. To the poster who asked, yeah I'm in the office. The extent of my exercise there is walk 15 blocks each way to work, and then wherever I walk to for lunch. And the intermittent fasting is actually something that's been suggested but I completely forgot about, I'll look into that right away.

marblehouse:
What do you mean with high GI foods? The diet is brutal to figure out, especially if my oats aren't such a good idea after all - I started with that because I figured it's all natural ingredients so should be good to go. But these last few weeks I haven't even been getting that in it's been more along the lines of banana and maybe a yogurt cup.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, didn't notice there were a bunch more replies here.  To the poster who asked, yeah I'm in the office.  The extent of my exercise there is walk 15 blocks each way to work, and then wherever I walk to for lunch.  And the intermittent fasting is actually something that's been suggested but I completely forgot about, I'll look into that right away.

marblehouse:
What do you mean with high GI foods?  The diet is brutal to figure out, especially if my oats aren't such a good idea after all - I started with that because I figured it's all natural ingredients so should be good to go.  But these last few weeks I haven't even been getting that in it's been more along the lines of banana and maybe a yogurt cup.

GI = glycemic index.

Don't eat oats - that's idiotic. Eat green vegetables and lean meats. You will lose weight I promise. Bananas are high in sugar and carbs - it's better to eat berries for the antioxidants. I cannot recommend eating yogurt.

In short, thing like "whole grains" and "yogurt" that are recommended as healthy - really aren't. If you want more advice, send me a message, but you really need to take a serious approach to learning nutrition if you want to lose weight - especially if you would like to keep drams of scotch.

woodywoodford

Reaction score
How do unsalted almonds fit? I've got a big jar of them at my desk and it's kind of my go-to snack through the day

chet31

Reaction score
I keep going back to the OP's initial question. He needs to lose 30 pounds in 4 months. There is what he should do, and there is what he has to do. He SHOULD eat healthy, weight train, avoid certain foods, etc. He HAS to run a calorie deficit. Low GI foods will help him feel full longer and keep his apetite from spiking, so they are advisable. However, if he eats nothing but crap, he will still lose weight if he runs a calorie deficit. If he eats two Big Macs a day, and nothing else for four months, he will lose weight. With his lifestyle, if he tries to eat perfectly, he is setting himself up to fail.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ECA stack, Intermittent Fasting, Weights, Low Carb.

All that combined will you looking and feeling great.

Hybridp

Reaction score
Probably the best and most concise prescription that could be given here.

OP you working a ton is not going to be very conducive. You making good money? It'd be best to throw money at a situation like this. A personal trainer or a crossfit membership will have you throwing around more weight in a manner that will make your heart mad at you for working so hard.

An ECA stack is pretty hardcore but...it's effective. I would just be careful with it.

Quit the grains. You don't necessarily need to go super low carb. I wouldn't drop below 100g a day especially considering how much you work. When people like students, those in high stress jobs or lives go low carb they elevate cortisol too much and for far too long and it takes its toll

But try to ween yourself off the breads, cereals, refined foods, pasta and get more starchy tubers instead and veggies and fruits and you'll hopefully reset the vicious cycle you're in right now.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Join Weight Watchers for Men online. They have a iPhone app and you track what you eat. You have a set # of points daily and stick to it. IN addition do some cardio each day. No silly meeting to attend.

Essentially the WW system does portion control, avoids hi fat and high carb (you can eat them but they have lots of points if you do ). Quickly you find what you like to eat that will give you the maximum number of points within you daily goal.

For me it is 2 eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast, black coffee,
ALL THE FRUIT YOU WANT- I keep apples, bananas and cherries around
Lunch I go for sashimi or a Lean Cuisine meal
More fruit during the day
one or two glasses of white wine and a low starch high protein meal with a simple salad.

I'm full, satisfied and I loose weight.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I'm doing. So far, it seems to be working:

Diet:

Breakfast: energy bar (Melaluca) and 2 energy balls (coconutz)

Lunch: 1/2 Bolthouse smoothie and a handful of almonds

Dinner: Normal dinner

Exercise:

6 days/week at 1-2 hours/day. (rowing machine, stair stepper, incline treadmill, weights)

Slowly but surely I am losing my spare tire. (gone in 2 belt holes in last month.)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would encourage you to not rely upon energy bars for a meal. They have a ton of calories and they are an easy snack habit to pick up. Before you know it you start grabbing them in between meals and adding pounds. They are great if you need a snack on a 25+mile bike ride, but avoid for daily consumption.

For breakfast try two eggs soft boiled or scrambled in a non-stick pan and turkey bacon. You will get plenty of protein, you won't get hungry late morning, it is low in calories. 2 eggs = 136 calories, 3 strips of turkey bacon =120 calories Total calories 256

The total calories of your current breakfast is 320+ .

Or, you may want to rotate the egg/turkey bacon with your current breakfast. Many people have a hard time sticking to a diet plan because they just simply get sick and tired by the same food. Plus, the eggs you can eat on an ongoing basis. I doubt you will want to stick with your current diet long-term.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Good to hear you are loosing the spare tire !

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads