• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lose and Tone Love Handles

TopHatChef

Reaction score
How would one go about loosing love handles, and can that area of the waist line be toned? I've been doing a specific ab workout, and no luck with the love handles.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im sure theres many on this forum who could help you with loosening something on your body, but it wont be your love handles.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
to get rid of those love handles....wow. that is the epitome of discipline and perseverance.

i had a couple of those. one on each side. huge. but the key is, diet, cardio, diet , cardio.

no amount of weights will diminish those. no amount of yoga or pilates will do it either.

for the longest time , i struggled and struggled, ....got my pecs and arms and everything else in good order. but those love handles. i still had a couple of those. one on each side.

but then one day magically, they slowly disappeared. i just kept at it. eat well, cardio, eat well. of course i did everything else too like weights.

but then one day, after perseverance and discipline. they will disappear for you too my friend.

and when they do. wow. your whole look/profile just looks completely different.
your waist and hips are all in a better proportion you have never seen before. your torso looks even larger becasue of no love handles. those handles put everything off askew in proportion.

but when they go away. wow. you look 10 x or even 100x better. you feel a great deep sense of satisfaction and appreciation.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe
to get rid of those love handles....wow. that is the epitome of discipline and perseverance.

i had a couple of those. one on each side. huge. but the key is, diet, cardio, diet , cardio.

no amount of weights will diminish those. no amount of yoga or pilates will do it either.

for the longest time , i struggled and struggled, ....got my pecs and arms and everything else in good order. but those love handles. i still had a couple of those. one on each side.

but then one day magically, they slowly disappeared. i just kept at it. eat well, cardio, eat well. of course i did everything else too like weights.

but then one day, after perseverance and discipline. they will disappear for you too my friend.

and when they do. wow. your whole look/profile just looks completely different.
your waist and hips are all in a better proportion you have never seen before. your torso looks even larger becasue of no love handles. those handles put everything off askew in proportion.

but when they go away. wow. you look 10 x or even 100x better. you feel a great deep sense of satisfaction and appreciation.

Did you end up losing tons of muscle in the attempt to get rid of that last bit of stubborn fat?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Did you end up losing tons of muscle in the attempt to get rid of that last bit of stubborn fat?

i dont think so. i actually was weight training at the same time of eating right (and less) and cardio.

so when i started off, i was flabby and lack of muscle.
but after 6-8 months i gained some muscle but lost the fat.

but in the process perhaps , i might have efficiently kept more muscle in the process IF i concentrated less on cardio and eating less

but right now, i am digging that skinny/lean look you see in streetwear photos. not too skinny and scrawny , lean with some muscle and definition.
im trying to stay away from the a bit bulky look which i was when i was in my twenties and college.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is a matter of increasing your aerobic activity and all around activity each day. Bicycling, running, aerobics classes all seem to help. I have never found that a diet alone would do it.

At the same time, I have a friend who is 27. He runs triathelons and marathons and he has a little something extra around his middle. But he like to eat and drink whatever he wants. So, diet has something to do with it too.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone so afraid of losing muscle?

So many people don't even have muscle to begin with...they lose the bulkiness on their body (fat) and think they're losing muscle...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Why is everyone so afraid of losing muscle?

So many people don't even have muscle to begin with...they lose the bulkiness on their body (fat) and think they're losing muscle...

rolleyes.gif

/Tomasso

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abs are made in the kitchen.

Get your diet right and the rest will follow.

dizzhizz

Reaction score
diet is key! just focus on overall weight loss and the rest should follow.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ yes it is the key.... too bad I love to eat and can't get rid of it... The best way is to eat lean and cardio your ass off.

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
I have large love handles also. So much so that when I wear slim fit shirts I look good from the front but from the back you can see them hang out. It is actually quite girlish. Another thing I have noticed is fat around the nipples (never used steriods). I have been on a wieght program for the last month and a half and run for 30-35 minutes 3 days a week with little to no gain. Looks like its time to re-evaluate everything.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike Lowry
Another thing I have noticed is fat around the nipples (never used steriods).
It can be a natural variation unfortunately.

Even when I was around 8% bodyfat, I still had it a little bit.

Also, eating a lot of soy products can contribute to it as they can be converted to estrogens in your body.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jumbie, what effect does having a lot of chicken have? As in having it almost everyday for a few years. I always had a rather large chest, i managed to tone it with weight training so it looks good now, but i was wondering if that could be the effect of me having a lot of chicken when i was younger.

Also, on a sidenote, does a lot of chicken affect chest hair?

For topic, i have love handles and a gut too, i lost 25 kilos but i still need to lose more, havent begun a serious cardio + diet routine yet.

Shoe, what kind of diet and exercise regime did you use?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads