• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Los Angeles dirt food

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
New York has its Michelin stars, we have our pp holes in the wall. Post some of your favorites. I'll start. Polka Polish Cuisine - on the only corner not occupied by a gas station between Glendale and Eagle Rock. Excellent Perogi, Watrobka, and other Polish dishes. Baffling decor.
IMG_6013.JPG
l.jpg
l.jpg

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want to go there! i love polish food and i don't know another place to get it in la.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
You could drive there in about 20 minutes from the Times building. Authentic little place. Been meaning to go back, but my fiancee isn't so big on the meat heavy Eastern European menus.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the fact that it doesn't look like there was a restaurant designer and a management committee involved.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Keeping with the Eastern Europe theme, I also would recommend Duna Csarda for Hungarian food. When we tried it we were the only people in the place. One of the owners got really excited and told us they had just opened, despite it being 6pm on a Friday. He chatted us up while we ordered and we somehow got into a conversation about the Sunni-Shia split and early Muslim technology and then started discussing the implementation of the Gregorian Calendar. Finally the other owner came out and yelled "Tamas! Entertainment! Let them eat!" at which point the one we'd been talking to went over to the piano and started playing something pleasant and mid-tempo. The food was great and we were thoroughly charmed. It was still mostly empty by the time we left but both of my Hungarian friends knew about it and said it was the default for Hungarian private events and is often booked.
684149.jpg

Last edited:

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
El Abajeno in Marina/Culver City area. They have these "taquitos" which are basically just a bunch of carnitas in tortilla shells, I think they steam it with an avocado, cheese and maybe some lard for fat (they are oddly greasy for some reason)...so good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-abajeño-culver-city-2

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
When you guys get tired of having the little commiseration get togethers on American cities and their food, let me know when I can make my Tokyo threak.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
How's the Polish Food in Tokyo? Honda Ya on the third floor of a mall in Little Tokyo. We go here after gallery openings sometimes. Dirt cheap and very good. I always get Saba, Yakitori tails, and the fried balls of octopus.
izakaya-honda-ya.jpg

Last edited:

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I enjoy the baby octopus there at Honda-ya.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love me some Thai Town. Sanamluang, Sapp's Coffee Shop and Jitlada. Great Thai food in Minimalls.

all this for $8.16 (Sapps)

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New York has its Michelin stars, we have our <$15/pp holes in the wall. Post some of your favorites. I'll start.
Polka Polish Cuisine - on the only corner not occupied by a gas station between Glendale and Eagle Rock. Excellent Perogi, Watrobka, and other Polish dishes. Baffling decor.

The portions are monstrous but the beef goulash there was really good.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How's the Polish Food in Tokyo? Honda Ya on the third floor of a mall in Little Tokyo. We go here after gallery openings sometimes. Dirt cheap and very good. I always get Saba, Yakitori tails, and the fried balls of octopus.
izakaya-honda-ya.jpg
i prefer suehiro. been eating there for 25 years.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Surehiro is great. It's two doors down from my favorite Little Tokyo bar. Used to go there frequently when I was a smoker. The proprietor is obsessed with American Westerns and lets people smoke in there until he gets a fine, at which point he makes everyone stop until the penalty period of the fine runs out. I'm sure I've mentioned it here before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads