Loro Piana

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jerome, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

Great casual wear but completely over-priced. Fuck em- I mean they get on my nerves: cause I like the style but its also just ridiculous. What do you/everyone think?

2. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find their shirts to have a very inconsistent fit, that isn't true to size in the neck and short in the arm.

Their sweaters are very nice but I favor the Cucinelli fit over LP.

I like the look of their sport coats but they never seem to fit me very well.

All in all I like the looks of their things and the fabrics are beautiful but the fit never works. It is either too short or too boxy.

3. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

I have a very nice, almost completely unconstructed Loro Piana sports coat in their cashmere coarsehair fabric. It's lovely and fits very well, but I wouldn't dream of paying anything like retail for it. Holdfast has mentioned the LP outlet store in Bicester occasionally; I wonder what the prices there are like.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Holdfast has mentioned the LP outlet store in Bicester occasionally; I wonder what the prices there are like.

Still painful.

It's the difference between an MI and just angina, though.

5. epa

epa Senior member

One of my shirtmakers normally charge around EUR 100-160 for a shirt (for example, around EUR 150 for shirts of really nice Italian or Suiss cotton or linen). I once noticed that he had a sample book from Loro Piana, and there was a nice linen cloth, white with kind of burgundy stripes. A shirt therefrom would have cost me more than EUR 300 (was it EUR 350?).
    The shirtmaker once made me a "normal" (non-LP) Italian linen shirt that cost me EUR 150 or 160 and its wonderful. One of my favourite shirts. Don't know if the Loro Piana cloth would make for a "twice as nice" shirt.
    But maybe you wanted to discuss the LP clothing items, not the cloths...

6. merkur

merkur Senior member

7. sammy

sammy Senior member

I agree that the prices are outrageous, BUT they do make beautiful coats[​IMG] . I have the roadster in both cotton and cashmere. I have my eye on the Martingala but not sure if I'm want to spend $5K [​IMG] .

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Sounds medical.

Surgical, I think.

I had a complete walletectomy last time I was there...

To be honest, even at outlet, their prices are so steep that I haven't popped in for about a year or so. I do like their casual stuff though - quite beautiful.

9. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I have a coat by LP. Everything else by LP is way overpriced and cannot be backed up by quality.

10. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I think their outerwear is top notch and I love their sweaters, but I wouldn't buy anything else from them unless it was deeply discounted. Fortunately, it often is.

11. UK2004

UK2004 Senior member

Fantastic fabrics often other designers purchase fabric from the LP mill and produce suits and jackets, really good fabric.

12. nicad2000

nicad2000 Senior member

Sounds medical.

Both heart conditions I believe...

13. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

Great casual wear but completely over-priced. Fuck em- I mean they get on my nerves: cause I like the style but its also just ridiculous. What do you/everyone think?

Agree completely.
    I wrote them off long ago.
    Just out of my range.

14. danyllau

danyllau Senior member

But maybe you wanted to discuss the LP clothing items, not the cloths...

I thought loro piana is all about the fabric quality.

15. jbob325

jbob325 New Member

Totally addicting - I love the look, feel and fit. I have about six of their sports jackets, navy in the baby cashmere may be my single most favorite piece of clothing - wear with jeans, khakis or dressier - works with all.

Also have a few of their leather pieces from vest to down parka - and again the look, feel and fit is fantastic.

Most recent buys are a cashmere storm system overcoat with removeable vest and a hooded jacket in the baby cashmere. Can't wait for cooler weather!