• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

loro piana shirt fabric

lalakis

Reaction score
Last week i ordered a custom shirt. It was a nice loro piana oxford fabric, the cost was higher compared to the other fabrics i used in the past (i dont remember the name). What is your opinion on the quality and last of lp?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lalakis
Last week i ordered a custom shirt. It was a nice loro piana oxford fabric, the cost was higher compared to the other fabrics i used in the past (i dont remember the name). What is your opinion on the quality and last of lp?

If youre super rich and dont care about spending money it's great. They make/carry a lot of beautiful cottons. In the end, youre paying somewhat for name over quality. I wouldnt necessarily think the quality is lower, just overpriced. A lot of their cottons are delicate and there will be wear depending on how you launder them, where you wear them, how often you wear them and for what purposes. I wear trousers out one place, another guy I know wears them out in a totally different place that I never do.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not think that Loro Piana owns the facilties that produces the shirtings.

I think they are overpriced for what they are. some of the designs are nice, but i do not use them because i think they are a poor value.
The cotton/linens are the only range that I would use if I did use them.

Carl

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
..............Nice but overpriced.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The linen-cottons are oustanding -- among the best of their kind. The rest, you can find something comparable or better for the same or less money.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The linen-cottons are oustanding -- among the best of their kind. The rest, you can find something comparable or better for the same or less money.
You think better than Riva?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
You think better than Riva?
I do (others disagree; they know who they are). Riva Romantino is 170s, LP linen-cottons are 140s. But they have more body and wear better. The price is not much different.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Loro Piana has a MTM order minimum for their shirts?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pink22m
Does anyone know if Loro Piana has a MTM order minimum for their shirts?
Do they even make shirts? I think they just sell cloth. I could be wrong.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Do they even make shirts? I think they just sell cloth. I could be wrong.
They do. They fit terribly and have showy handwork. Expensive. I like that Riva does oxford cloths and nice twills in Cotton/linen so that you have something to wear in the winter.

Pink22m

Reaction score
They do. They fit terribly and have showy handwork. Expensive.

I like that Riva does oxford cloths and nice twills in Cotton/linen so that you have something to wear in the winter.
Do you know how many different cuts they offer for MTM shirts? What about pricing? When I visited the Loro Piana boutique in San Francisco right after it opened in 2003, I seem to recall the pricing being around $350.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have only tried them on once. The pitch of the shoulders is all wrong and causes a lot of bunching around the collar. You need very sloped shoulders that hang back in order to fit into them correctly. IIRC, the nice fabrics are in the $500 range.

lalakis

Reaction score
so what do you think 300eur for a fully custom shirt with lp fabric is a good price or not? If you ask me if it machine made or hand made it is machine made.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The price is not too outrageous if you are happy with the end product.

I hope the fabric chosen was an intersting pattern and not something basic.
You are better off with Thomas mason for basics.

Carl

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads