Looksism at Work - Newsweek Survey

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mensimageconsultant, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

2. svelten

svelten Senior member

hogwash

although it's something I would like to believe, given how ridiculous some of my competition looks.

3. mensimageconsultant

It's not "hogwash." Studies of lawyers, for example, demonstrate that attractiveness affects careers. The amount of looksism surely varies across fields, however.

What would be a better survey is of managers, asking if they have ever, deliberately or otherwise, made hiring decisions based mostly on looks when appearance had little to do with job duties. A survey with anonymity, conducted online.

4. volatility smile

volatility smile Senior member

It's not "hogwash." Studies of lawyers, for example, demonstrate that attractiveness affects careers. The amount of looksism surely varies across fields, however.

How do you figure height plays into it, compared with attractiveness, especially for men?

5. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

Depends on the sector... but looks help. Ugly people have to work harder to get peoples attention.

6. mensimageconsultant

The researchers like part of that one: there's a large lifetime financial penalty for a man who is below average in height, while taller men earn extra. There probably are no studies comparing that with, say, facial attractiveness. Although that too has been found to affect earnings.

7. rexthedestroyer

rexthedestroyer Senior member

All of the management staff in my office are tall and attractive--including me.