Looking to Purchase a Pea Coat -- Schott or Sterlingwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirSuturesALot, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Synrax

Synrax Senior member

I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but it looks like Homme's coat tapers slightly above the stomach whereas gshen's appears straight. Can anyone confirm if the coat runs straight or has a taper? Both look good tho.

2. DutchDaedalus

DutchDaedalus Senior member

Montedoro has a nice peacoat in their collection. Superb quality and an Italian cut. [​IMG] www.slowear.it --> Brands: Montedoro

3. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i just checked my coat and there is indeed a very very slight waist taper (about 0.5inch or less each side).

perhaps it might just be the difference in the body shape of homme and myself that makes his coat's waist taper to look more pronounced!

4. Synrax

Synrax Senior member

cool, thanks for the feedback

I'm in the market for a pea coat now so I'm looking for slim cuts with slight taper.

5. DutchDaedalus

DutchDaedalus Senior member

6. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

Montedoro!

I'd buy it if I could, but it doesn't seem to be a readily available option here in the United States. [​IMG]

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I think I am going to get a pea coat as well. I am going to look for an official Navy one though. Need to find a Navy Surplus or go with my mom to the military base.

8. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    I tried on a Schott peacoat the other day and was very disappointed. It's the stiffest wool I've ever seen. Combined with the loose fit around my shoulders, when I turned, the coat didn't.

Winning a contract to supplying the Navy means you worry about everything but how it fits and will wear.

Schott may be authentic but I'm really not interested in looking like one of those clueless 19-year old sailors running around Times Square looking for pussy.

If you are serious about clothes, as most SFers are, I can't imagine wanting to wear clothes that are made by companies that supply the military.

Very disappointing as I really wanted a Schott coat.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

If you are serious about clothes, as most SFers are, I can't imagine wanting to wear clothes that are made by companies that supply the military.

I think most people would consider me pretty serious about clothes, and I have a hard time imagining wearing a peacoat not issued by the military. [​IMG]

(Although I did pick up a pretty nice BR one at a thrift shop a while back)

10. falsestart

falsestart Senior member

I tried on a Schott peacoat the other day and was very disappointed. It's the stiffest wool I've ever seen. Combined with the loose fit around my shoulders, when I turned, the coat didn't.

Winning a contract to supplying the Navy means you worry about everything but how it fits and will wear.

Schott may be authentic but I'm really not interested in looking like one of those clueless 19-year old sailors running around Times Square looking for pussy.

Very disappointing as I really wanted a Schott coat.

I've been pretty happy with mine. I sized down, had it taken in a tad and the fabric really softened up with wear. It's the warmest coat I've ever had.

11. auto90403

auto90403 Senior member

Santa Monica, California/McLean, Virginia
    I think most people would consider me pretty serious about clothes, and I have a hard time imagining wearing a peacoat not issued by the military. [​IMG]

(Although I did pick up a pretty nice BR one at a thrift shop a while back)

My sense is, people wear military-issue clothing because they care more about authenticity and provenance than fit -- "Look at me, I'm wearing the same clothes as the Green Berets."

That's not something I really give a damn about. I'd rather have a good fit so that clothes look good on me.

12. alebrady

alebrady Senior member

Montedoro has a nice peacoat in their collection. Superb quality and an Italian cut.
    [​IMG]
    www.slowear.it --> Brands: Montedoro

no options for obtaining this in the US?[​IMG]

13. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

My sense is, people wear military-issue clothing because they care more about authenticity and provenance than fit -- "Look at me, I'm wearing the same clothes as the Green Berets."

That's not something I really give a damn about. I'd rather have a good fit so that clothes look good on me.

I guess that may sometimes be true, but I have yet to find a peacoat that fits me better than the one I got from my Grandpa who was issued it in the 1950s. So it's a win-win situation.

14. dave.y

dave.y New Member

hi guys, first post here!

after reading up several threads on sterlingwear peacoats, i decided to follow the common method of ordering 1 size less than your chest measured when inhaling.

ended up with a size 34R and my chest measures exactly 36" while inhaled.

my height is 173cm(5.67 ft) and i weigh 61kg (134pounds), and this is how the coat fits me:

[​IMG]

really happy with the construction of the coat and the overall fit! if anyone needs exact measurements on the coat, PM and i'll be glad to help out.

thanks to all who helped with sterlingwear sizing issues previously [​IMG]

Hi gshen, you look great! May i know which particular model did you get? It would be nice if you could post the direct link. Thanks in advance.

15. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

gshen it looks great. can you cross your arms? for some reason it looks like it's on there really tight, with no additional room for movement. please let us know if that's the case! also, does it feel heavy/substantial? and please let us know what model you got as well! =]